New car: E60 M5, 2013 S4, or IS-F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
M5's rock! Are you going to keep it stock or mod it a bit? They have some nice go fast goodies for those cars.

I wonder how hard it is to get 600-700 out of that V10?

It'll stay stock. Fantastic that way and the aftermarket is not very big (nor are parts cheap).

Dinan does sell a 5.8L stroker for $32,999 + $20,000 core.

They are a lot of fun to tune! My buddy has a pretty quick E55 and has taken a bunch of the new twin turbo 63's with it, even a Lambo...

140k miles later and still showing no signs of slowing down.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Dinan does sell a 5.8L stroker for $32,999 + $20,000 core.

That's hardcore....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Well????

I'm about 99% certain I'm going to make a 5 hour drive tomorrow to pick up a 2010 BMW M3 sedan in Space Gray Metallic. Fully loaded (DCT, EDC, cold weather package, folding seats, nav, etc). The car is just wonderful to drive: strong motor, balanced chassis, predictable. A tad over-engineered and generic inside though.

But there is still a nagging voice in my head telling me I'm making too big a deal out of the small and non-folding back seat in the IS-F. It's a total muscle car but the Lexus DNA absolutely shows underneath when you're just humming along at low speed.

The IS-F is just a hair too tight for my taste when you are not in video game mode. Boviously the powertrain makes up for that somewhat.

And it is a lexus, I understand you have to go through some crazy manuevers to turn the VDC all the way off. Only lexus could combine sedate with mind numbing speed. and I don't really care for the looks of the IS family, the IS-F could be improved by replacing the exhaust with soemthing more traditional.

I prefer the engine in the M3 for daily use over the V10 in the last M5 - which was great, just not ideal.

Other than being a bit low on torque at low revs the little V8 in the M3 is wonderfully flexible. And it certainly makes up for any lack of torque as soon as you get over 4-5k rpm! I like hot cars that can be tame enough to drive well in everyday conditions but still have some impressive performance on tap when you want it. It's more rare than you'd think to have near supercar performance but still take friends to dinner in peace and comfort..

The M3 is an excellent choice!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Other than being a bit low on torque at low revs the little V8 in the M3 is wonderfully flexible. And it certainly makes up for any lack of torque as soon as you get over 4-5k rpm! I like hot cars that can be tame enough to drive well in everyday conditions but still have some impressive performance on tap when you want it. It's more rare than you'd think to have near supercar performance but still take friends to dinner in peace and comfort..

The M3 is an excellent choice!

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back