New car: E60 M5, 2013 S4, or IS-F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dparm
Like I said, I looked at the E90 M3 and ruled it out. The S5 is nice but is too similar to what I already have. RS4 is manual trans only and again too similar to my current car. Not really a fan of the CTS-V's interior. The Benzes don't do it for me either.

Had considered an STI or Evo years ago but those are too boy-racer and spartan.

Don't want the mt setup then? Blah!!!

The s5 is a beautiful car, id give it tons of consideration. Forgot about that one.

I haven't driven the M5 or the IS-F, but I have driven an 09 S4 (6MT), and I wasn't terribly impressed with the car. It's quick, but it doesn't feel like it (far more enjoyment can be had from stomping on it in the Jeep, even though the Audi is a bit over a second quicker to 60). It also felt pretty numb, and until you really wind it up, the exhaust noise in the cabin is so well damped that I was finding myself staring at the tach to avoid winding it up to 5k on normal acceleration.

Personally, I've always liked the idea of the IS-F, even though I'm a BMW fan (I'd take an E34 or E39 M5 in a heartbeat, next car will likely be one).

Also, I'm curious as to why you don't want another 6MT setup?

Whatever, I could care less what the stereotype is. I buy a car because I like it, not because I want to fit in or impress people.

Bravo, buy what you want. I could care less what anybody else thinks, I buy cars for me and me alone.

I'm nearly certain with your admitted enthusiast bias you would enjoy the BMW the best. Despite their foibles they are a sweetheart on the road.

Whatever, I could care less what the stereotype is. I buy a car because I like it, not because I want to fit in or impress people.

I can identify with this philosophy. I continue to like my older cars & trucks and have enjoyed not having to deal with a warranty issue since 1996.

Please note dparm currently has an Audi S4, the one with the timing chain, etc. located at the back of the V8 engine.

I'm not surprized that the new 2013 S4 holds some serious attraction for him as it appears performance, economy, etc. are all much improved and I believe it doesn't need to have the entire engine pulled to replace a water pump...

However, what about a Nissan GT-R?

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: DemoFly

Young people/Trust fund babies.

OK, yeah, that's a FAR more innocent implication than what I got from your reference, LOL!

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt

However, what about a Nissan GT-R?

Consulting is lucrative but not THAT lucrative.

I'm pretty much ruling out the new S4. I need a car with more personality. The B8 S4 feels a bit toned-down from mine, despite offering better performance.

I think I need to go drive the M5 and IS-F back-to-back.

And I am done driving manual transmissions as a daily. I've been doing it for over 10 years and it's just wearing thin. I'm fine with it for a weekend car or second car.

I wouldn't rule out a GTR, go look at the used market I have seen them at about what that Audi should cost. $60k-$70k range... A guy down the road from me has had one as a daily driver for years and it seems to do pretty good.

I'm going to throw an oddball in here but go check it out before you commit:

Jag XFR, 510hp V8 really motivates things along. I'm thinking that Jag while not an M5 might be more of the muscle car your looking for.

Last edited:
2013 S4 is $55k with almost all the option boxes ticked...before haggling. And that's a brand new car with warranty and everything.

IMO, I might want to stay away from an E60 or newer BMW without some sort of warranty. They can be very very expensive to maintain, depending on how the car was cared for before you get it. SMG clutches dont last very long, and if the car was leased they probably got 15k oil changes, which is scary for that motor. When I was at the dealer, we were starting to see the Nitrogen accumulators failing just out of warranty, goodwilled for the few that it happened to. Of course, this doesnt mean it happens to every car. What about a preowned S6? Too big?

I plan to buy a Fidelity warranty for the M5. They are 'named exclusion' warranties. The IS-F has a 6/70k powertrain warranty and doesn't need anything extra.

The M5 I am looking at was a Florida car and the service records are very good. About 23k miles for a car titled in January of 2008. The dealer's BMW arm did a PPI, which included putting new brake pads and rotors up front and four new Potenza RE050A tires. The car was very well cared for and was prepped well.

S6 is nice but more of a touring car and isn't as athletic as the others.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I would buy the BMW.

Just curious why you say that? Have you driven all of them?

I have not driven any of them but the BMW is drop dead gorgeous. The Audi is ugly and the Lexus has too much boy racer styling. Looks like a Civic driven by a high school student. Forget about the performance of any of the cars, you will never drive any of the cars to their max design limits.

Just like that Vette you rented, 99% of owners never could drive it to its limits without wrecking the car on a real race track.

On the contrary, I took my S4 autocrossing, road racing, and ice racing tons of times...so yeah, I will absolutely exploit all the performance.

But I need a car that can reign that in for the street and not feel like a racecar when I'm stuck in traffic. It's why the IS-F and M5 are on my list: both are split-personality.

Ice racing sounds like a ton of fun! Your going to need some studded rear tires for the M5 for that!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Ice racing sounds like a ton of fun! Your going to need some studded rear tires for the M5 for that!

Ice racing is an absolute hoot. That was the one type of racing that I did with my 2004 WRX and it was such a blast. Much easier on the car IMHO over pavement too.

I believe studded winters were required to do it.

Not sure if I'd take an expensive car out there though unless you pull insurance. IMHO a car like a M5 or IS-F does not give much advantage on the ice.

I did it on performance-oriented snow tires. It was still a blast; the studded tires put you in a different class full of hobbyists in old Beetles and Miatas, and some hardcore WRX/Evo owners.

There's no need for special insurance. It's totally safe.

I plan to buy a Fidelity warranty for the M5. They are 'named exclusion' warranties. The IS-F has a 6/70k powertrain warranty and doesn't need anything extra.

The M5 I am looking at was a Florida car and the service records are very good. About 23k miles for a car titled in January of 2008. The dealer's BMW arm did a PPI, which included putting new brake pads and rotors up front and four new Potenza RE050A tires. The car was very well cared for and was prepped well.

S6 is nice but more of a touring car and isn't as athletic as the others.

Is the BMW going to drop off its resale value cliff during your ownership? Say you keep the car for 5 years, whats a 9 year old M5 going to be worth? into the teens? I suspect you could lose less money overall with the Lexus but its hard to say how much at this point I guess. Or how much you care about that.

No offense to the more financially smart people but depreciation is yet another factor that never influences a real enthusiast.

He's got to find a car that gives him that thrill when you get in. Some do, some don't. But when you have one that does, good for you!

No argument that Lexuses hold their resale value well, but the M5 is a rare and desirable car. It did take a big depreciation hit but has leveled off. I should have no trouble selling it down the road. It's not like a Camry/Accord/etc where there's literally thousands of them in any color or trim level and people want it dirt-cheap.

My S4's depreciation has been outstanding. Once the sale is finalized I would consider posting how little it dropped in value over the 3 years I owned it. Even I am amazed at how much I'm getting for it!

Cars are a losing proposition as far as investments go. Steve hit the nail on the head: as an enthusiast, I don't give as much weight to that when shopping.

...I should have no trouble selling it down the road. It's not like a Camry/Accord/etc where there's literally thousands of them in any color or trim level and people want it dirt-cheap.

Actually its much easier to sell the aforementioned popular vehicles that appeals to the masses. Especially if you have a Civic or Corolla at the moment. Honda/Toyota nameplate is icing on the cake. Manual transmission and V6 is starting to be a pariah.

M5's rock! Are you going to keep it stock or mod it a bit? They have some nice go fast goodies for those cars.

I wonder how hard it is to get 600-700 out of that V10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back