Not open for further replies.
>You extended OCIers can play beat the clock
>with 7,500 mile intervals if you want to -
>it's your own cars.... (And, it isn't about
>the $9.75 -- I've flushed contaminents 2 1/2
>times as often by changing oil and filters
>at 3,000 miles.)

You left out 2 factors...

In 15k miles, 3k OCI requires 5 oil changes and 7.5k OCI requires 2 changes. Let's say you're quick at the oil change/cleanup/recycling and you can do it all in 30 minutes. That's 1.5 hours saved. How much is your time worth: $10/hour, $20/hour, $50/hour? How much would 90 extra minutes with your kids/grandkids/parents/significant other be worth? Of course, oil changing may be a good excuse to take a break from them as well.
smile.gif

There's also the ~15 quarts/15k miles of non-renewable resource used.

Just some other factors to consider.

Matt

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:

quote:

You extended OCIers can play beat the clock with 7,500 mile intervals if you want to - it's your own cars.

So BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Corvette are all playing "beat the clock?" I don't think so.

Those cars all use synthetics though. I think 7500 on dino oil is pushing it too far in most cases. But 7500 on synthetic is usually very safe.

Read your owners manual as it recomends based on real data and not opinions. Many new cars now use break-in additives and coatings to assist in correctly breaking in the engine. My Subaru for instance recomends first oil.filter at 3,000 miles and NOT before 1,000 miles. My sons Honda Pilot says first change at 5,000 or 7,000? miles and Honda is very imphadic about it.

quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
You extended OCIers can play beat the clock with 7,500 mile intervals if you want to - it's your own cars. (My personal take of this forum is that it's about knowledge, not playing Russian roulette with the automotive grim reaper.) The 3 mo./3,000 mile OCI leaves the manufacturer very little wiggle room in case of a problem. ...

Ray:

The 3/3 OCI thing made sense back when crude carbureted engines dumped massive amounts of gas into their relatively low quality oils. While we are all entitled to our opinions, the objective evidence, which you can find right here in the UOA forum would suggest that 3/3 is no longer necessary. Car after car going well beyond 3k with good TBN retention and low wear metals. Many of these 4-6k results show oil that could go considerably longer.

Back to the syn v. dino debate? It is good to remember the realistic benefits of the synthetic (IV), or faux synthetic (III), or even the blend (I-II/III), is in the extremes...the very cold start-ups, driving 500 miles at 80+, missing the 3K OCI...and knowing the engine is still protected better. Even if I was intending "going dino" in a 4 qt engine, I would ante up $3 more and make the first qt a synthetic.

Congrats on the new car. I went through this when I bought my 03 Corolla S (first Toyota after over 20 years of VW diesels). I opted for Toyota filters and Mobil 1 oil at the recommended intervals. These engines have timing chains, not belts, so the added protection of synthetic will pay off in the long run.At 135,000km my engine is as good as new, and clean too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back