New book dishes Detroit dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto execs get crass, personal

"I'm going to beat Chevrolet on the head with bat. And I'm going to enjoy it," Farley says.

"F--- GM. I hate them and their company and what they stand for," he says. "And I hate the way they're succeeding. Ford is back because people trust us. And that is a powerful message."

GM spokesman Jay Cooney responded: "We would not have expected such crass words coming from Ford."

GM, however, has lobbed a bomb or two at the hometown competition. In a Detroit News interview last month, GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson suggested Ford's struggling luxury brand, Lincoln, couldn't survive. "You might as well sprinkle holy water. It's over," Akerson said.

Asked for Ford's reaction to the book, Ford spokeswoman Karen Hampton said the company has "not yet seen the book" and couldn't comment on quotes. "This is a passionate, competitive industry, and we truly respect all of our competitors," she said.

The Detroit News obtained a preproduction copy of the book, which may be further edited before its final printing."

"Like Farley, Ford Jr. is quoted in the book as criticizing GM's corporate culture. "GM can be so arrogant," Ford Jr. said. "We were known as a culture of infighting. And they are a culture of arrogance."

"I grew up in this town and GM was the giant," said Ford Jr. "We were a very tough competitor, but they were the giant."

"Things were testy at Ford, too. Mulally is critical of Detroit, noting the Big Three's once 80-percent market share. "But they were arrogant," he says in the book. "They made fun of the Japanese. And then they made shoddy products."

Ford's then chief financial officer, Don Leclair, labeled as "stupid" or "idiotic" much of what was said by Ford Americas president Mark Fields. Fields is quoted saying Leclair "sucks the life out of the room."

At a meeting, Leclair said Ford needed to cut product spending, because "we're going to go bankrupt if we don't." Fields said "Don and I almost literally went at each other's throats." Reached Wednesday by phone at his home in Canton, Leclair declined to comment.

Through a spokeswoman, Fields declined to comment."

I have to laugh at the amount of "Declined to comment" in the article. None of it really surprises me though. Everyone knew how arrogant GM and Chrysler, and Ford management used to be. Luckily, it's much better. But I think it is unwise for the high level execs of any company, to comment in such a way on other companies, competitors. It's not good PR.

This sounds like a must read!
I imagine the library will have it shortly.
If not, I'll get either our local or State Library of Ohio to buy it.

The last real car people left Detroit in the early 70's.
Not one good vehicle made here since then.
Just corporate and marketing garbage.

That's rich Ford calling GM arrogant.

POT, MEET KETTLE!

I would sum up Ford as being arrogant right now. They've basically had a few good products over the past 5 years or so, and didn't take money from the Gov't...

BUT they basically screwed up for decades and have 5 good years and think their butts don't stink??!?!! Really?

Get back to me when they have the overall track record of a Honda or Toyota.

My Dad's 2006 Five Hundred had the AC Compressor go at about 70k miles. You mean they can't make this part last in a $25k vehicle?

There are plenty of other owners that have the same issue too.

Originally Posted By: sandy_d

My Dad's 2006 Five Hundred had the AC Compressor go at about 70k miles. You mean they can't make this part last in a $25k vehicle?

One AC compressor at 70K miles?!?!?!?!? And thats it??

Well. Props to Ford. Sounds like that Five Hundred is a good car.

If only we were all so lucky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think a 1200$ compressor taking a dump on a perfectly maintained 5 year old car is great you are clueless.

Over the years I've had a couple of Hondas' 16 and 12 years old with significantly more miles than 70k (110k plus) that still have a perfectly functioning AC systems that have never even been recharged! Even my current 96 VW Golf with 125k has a perfectly functioning AC and it also has never been recharged either, blows ice cold!

Actually also the Ford 500 had a faulty ECU out of warranty and a poorly shifting automatic as well that Ford was never able to remedy luckily it hasn't failed ...yet.

Like I said get back to me when Ford ACTUALLY has a LONG TERM track record of quality like Honda or Toyota does.

Last edited:
Shocking. The employees of one company badmouth the other company or others within in the same company. I never would have guessed or imagined. Please note the sarcasm I intend here.

This happens at any and all levels of business.

Mods, can we kill this thread before it turns into yet another Brand X is great, I owned it and blah blah blah...

Honestly, I posted it because I thought it was mildly amusing. And rather tame, considering the past rivalries between The Duece and Iacocca or some of the things DeLorean had to say about the beancounters at GM/Pontiac.

If the mods want to kill it, no problem from me. I guess I should have considered the climate...

Sounds like an interesting and probably funny book.

Originally Posted By: sandy_d

Get back to me when they have the overall track record of a Honda or Toyota.

My dad's 04 Civic Hybrid is on transmission #2 and is working on destroying that one. The car has just over 70K on it now. It will need transmission #3 before 100K miles. That's one heck of a track record.

Sounds like kids in a playground, and to think this sort of commentary is coming from high level management at large corporations.

Then again, aren't many large corporations in bed with each other anyway? IIRC, it wasn't that long ago that Ford and GM announced a diesel engine partnership for the "PowerMax".

I have many years of dealing with the car makers, but not at the executive level - at the lowest levels - and here's my experience.

GM had - and still has - a "Not Invented Here" problem. It was really bad when they were the largest car maker in the world and had a 40% market share in the US. In those days, they really had the most expertise in any particular area of car technology - brakes, tires, noise - you name it, their folks knew more about than anyone. But you couldn't discuss anything with them. It was pretty much "our way or highway" - and they had the market clout to get away with it.

Ford, on the other hand, worked really hard to get things right. They had folks who were passionate about what they did - and sometimes that resulted in hurt feelings. In the end, though, they produced some outstanding automobiles.

Fast forward to the post-bailout environment.

Many of the arrogant GM employees have retired, but the new crop is just as arrogant, but they don't have the cred - so they tend to be more open. They are good to work with, but if push comes to shove, they still have a hard time admitting their own mistakes.

Ford has taken on some of this arrogance simply due to their success - but I think Chrysler's problems has opened their eyes to the fact that there is a global economy and a global market - and they need to compete in that - instead of just the US (and Canada!) So Ford tends to be very demanding, but willing to accept that part of their woes are of their own making.

But both companies suffer from narcissism and still think they are competeing with one another for the US market - and that's the only thing worth considering. They really haven't come to grips with the idea that the Japanese are the market leaders and China is emerging as a powerhouse. Heaven only knows when they will wake up. Will it be when India comes on line?

GM and Ford were too busy fighting each other they forgot that the Japanese were givin it to them. it sucks going bankrupt and the other one was teeterin on bankruptcy. wake up detroit, you got your butt kicked

Quote:
"Like Farley, Ford Jr. is quoted in the book as criticizing GM's corporate culture. "GM can be so arrogant," Ford Jr. said. "We were known as a culture of infighting. And they are a culture of arrogance."

Arrogance and over-inflated egos are characteristics of corporate culture in general, foreign and domestic, not just GM and the US auto industry.

I just read Bob Lutz's book, "Car guys vs Bean counters" and it is a really good read. An eye opener too. Not long either, I read it in 2 days.

My 98 camry has 266K miles, perfectly functioning AC never been charged. In fact, I just now changed the AT fluid (only because I felt guilty, it was shifting fine)

While Ford has gotten better, and I may consider them on my next vehicle it will be a LONG time before I own another GM product...nothing but trouble from the last one. (it was a 2005 Pontiac Montana)

Originally Posted By: salesmantony
it will be a LONG time before I own another GM product...nothing but trouble from the last one. (it was a 2005 Pontiac Montana)

I feel your pain, but what a difference 6 years makes in quality improvements. GM has improved dramatically. That Montana was designed 10 years ago and under different ideas. Things are better today...I have seen it change personally.

Funny how people get worked up over this...I think it's great!

In a time where we are afraid to offend anyone, this is nice to hear. Because when people are that only worried lose the most important part: Passion-loving what you do. And actually care about things.....Maybe sometimes it can bring out bad, but more often good...

I think all of the auto companies can still respect each other while giving each other a little heck now and then...like when you build a stinker..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back