New Bike Questions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is no pressure relief valve in the oil pump system, then the oil filter will blow off within a few seconds of starting a cold bike due to the extra thickness of the oil. I was an electrical engineer for one of the big J car companies and one of the bankrupt Detroit ones for about 9 years total.

Originally Posted By: RC46_Rider

I also have a close relative who is a product engineer with one of the "big 4" motorcycle companies and I have access to ACCURATE design spec's and data....

I hope that it is not Harley Davidson, cause in the other thread you said a V Rod engine was air cooled. If thats the case then your close relative needs to check his design specs....just sayin
wink.gif

Generally I will use the OEM filters for the duration of the warranty, then switch over to Hi-Flow Filtro's. IIRC the calci site quotes a Hi-Flow horror story. I've had no issues with them in 10 years. As for the oil, Rotella 15W-40 in everything except my Warrior, it gets spectro 20W-50 dino. You would have no problems with the Yamalube, but there is better, and castrol is not one of them, at least here in the states.

Sorry, RC46_Rider. You have proven time and time again that you have no factual information to back up your post. I don't care about your close relative, post some proof to backup your opinion! I'm still waiting to hear how you know a Harley revolution engine is aircooled!

The truth is, a motorcycle filter and a car filter with the same thread and gasket size differ very little internally. most even spec similar bypass pressures and flow rates. Thousands of us use car filters on our bikes everyday.

Just because a bike might have more PSI in the oil system at 14,000RPM means NOTHING. Most oil filters have a 300-400psi burst rating. Even if we believe your formula of 10psi per 1k, thats 140psi, which isnt even half of the burst pressure rating of an automotive filter. The filter media itself doesn't care how much pressure is in the filter, it only cares about differential pressure across the media, which is what the relief valve is for. Once again, most motorcycle specific filters and car filters spec similar numbers for flow rate and differential pressure bypass.

My information isnt based upon opinion, it is based on years of UOA's, by myself and others using regular HDEO's and automotive filters on mototcycles. The data backs it up, nothing is wearing out, showing abnormal wear numbers, and Ive never had a cut open PL14610 pureone filter that was crushed or had any internal problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back