New Bike Day!

Almost got rolled over by a bling bling truck doing a high velocity California stop on a red light couple days ago. Keep your eyes peeled road warriors.

20220320_175202.jpg

Last edited:
Almost got rolled over by a bling bling truck doing a high velocity California stop on a red light couple days ago. Keep your eyes peeled road warriors.
One thing I learned riding motorbikes for 30+ years, that helped keep me alive, is: you are invisible and everyone is trying to kill you.
Ride with that in mind -- whatever kind of 2 wheel vehicle you ride.
It's all about situational awareness - seeing the potential threats so you can avoid them before they become actual threats.

So far, I've put over 1000 miles on that Fezzari Empire. It's been flawless. After a few hundred miles of breakin I serviced all the bearings (hubs, bottom bracket) cleaning out the OEM grease and repacking with Schaeffer's 221 #2. IME with other bikes, this will make them last many more years. I also did a brake bleed, retensioned the spokes and trued the wheels, they are holding up nicely. Neither of these services were strictly necessary, just helpful for a perfectionist mechanic. It's everything one would ever want in a road bike: fast, efficient, comfortable, smooth and dead silent. So silent even on bumpy roads, makes me wonder how they eliminated any rattle of the internal cables.

One thing I'm keeping my eye on is those cranks. Shimano Dura-Ace and Ultegra are glued together and they sometimes separate with use. Which means total failure and replacement. Classic case of poor design that prioritizes light weight over durability and longevity.

Back