New Bike Day

JHZR2

Staff member
After discussing some here:

It turned out that amidst the bike shortage, the LBS in the town at the beach that we go regularly had gotten a big allotment of trek bikes.

We ended up with his and hers verve 3 bikes. The wife almost changed her mind for a beach cruiser, but she realized these were the best for what we were looking to do in terms of distance and use on trips. I’m still very interested in some sort of a fitness style bike, maybe sell my canondale road bike towards something like the fx4 or Jamie Sequel. If the LBS had an fx model 4 I may have had a much stronger consideration to go with that and upsize the tires. Since the FX3 and Verve 3 are more or less identical other than about 2 lbs of tires, 1 lb of a spring loaded seat stem, and 2 lbs of frame (different geometry with skinnier tires, all components identical), I figure I’ll hold out and get a 1x fitness oriented hybrid or a gravel bike or something if I can actually put the time and miles in.

Put in just the first five miles, at the beach, so street, boardwalk, and actually some gravel/construction. The bikes ride great. Geared well so you can putt along with the kids at 6-7 mph, cruise forever at 10-11, and while I havent tried to see how fast it can go, but high gear on the front, I was at 14-15 without thinking much, with a tag-along, with three or four rear gears left.

AC40AD24-C406-4387-A54F-CDA041C5F355.jpeg
9172628D-24CC-42C7-807B-A47655A99490.jpeg
CE90C44E-F55D-49EF-9464-BBB8CF470013.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice bikes. The lack of a front suspension gives a bike a more connected feel and seems a bit more efficient while pedaling, too.
I'd remove the reflectors. Funny how you never see reflectors on bikes on bike company websites, but they are in the box and often put on
at the bike shop.

Nice bikes. The lack of a front suspension gives a bike a more connected feel and seems a bit more efficient while pedaling, too.
I'd remove the reflectors. Funny how you never see reflectors on bikes on bike company websites, but they are in the box and often put on
at the bike shop.
What possible gain you get by removing the reflectors on that bike I suppose you have him remove the Dork disk also.

After discussing some here:

It turned out that amidst the bike shortage, the LBS in the town at the beach that we go regularly had gotten a big allotment of trek bikes.

We ended up with his and hers verve 3 bikes. The wife almost changed her mind for a beach cruiser, but she realized these were the best for what we were looking to do in terms of distance and use on trips. I’m still very interested in some sort of a fitness style bike, maybe sell my canondale road bike towards something like the fx4 or Jamie Sequel. If the LBS had an fx model 4 I may have had a much stronger consideration to go with that and upsize the tires. Since the FX3 and Verve 3 are more or less identical other than about 2 lbs of tires, 1 lb of a spring loaded seat stem, and 2 lbs of frame (different geometry with skinnier tires, all components identical), I figure I’ll hold out and get a 1x fitness oriented hybrid or a gravel bike or something if I can actually put the time and miles in.

Put in just the first five miles, at the beach, so street, boardwalk, and actually some gravel/construction. The bikes ride great. Geared well so you can putt along with the kids at 6-7 mph, cruise forever at 10-11, and while I havent tried to see how fast it can go, but high gear on the front, I was at 14-15 without thinking much, with a tag-along, with three or four rear gears left.

View attachment 57944View attachment 57945View attachment 57946
Looks like you'll get some great miles and time together enjoy.

Enjoy your new Treks!
I’m still riding and loving my 2003 Trek 7500 city/hybrid bike. Tires, brakes, 1 wheel & a chain is all it’s needed since new. Made in Waterloo, WI.

I would make sure my kids bikes have reflectors and under U.S. law, most every bike sold comes with them in the box.
Take a look on Treks or Cannondales website and you won't find reflectors on kids bikes.

If you notice on the male Trek bike in the photos, it is modern by having a slopping top tube. The change in frame geometry
makes modern bikes more comfortable. Go back in time and male bikes had a horizontal top tube like the Schwinn Suburban
from the 70's.

If you have money and want something unique, look at Vaast bikes, which sorta relates to the old Huffy brand. They have a magnesium frame.

I would make sure my kids bikes have reflectors and under U.S. law, most every bike sold comes with them in the box.
Take a look on Treks or Cannondales website and you won't find reflectors on kids bikes.

If you notice on the male Trek bike in the photos, it is modern by having a slopping top tube. The change in frame geometry
makes modern bikes more comfortable. Go back in time and male bikes had a horizontal top tube like the Schwinn Suburban
from the 70's.

If you have money and want something unique, look at Vaast bikes, which sorta relates to the old Huffy brand. They have a magnesium frame.

Our kids’ individual bikes have them. I run a flashing led on the trailer and on the body of the rider on the tagalong. Works well.

We don’t usually ride past sundown, maybe dusk if we take our time somewhere.

That vast bike looks interesting. I think I want a Janis sequel though, so the steel can soak up some of the harshness that a light fast bike can have. That plus relatively wider tires (might go narrower than what comes on it), I’d think would be good for putting miles on for fitness if I decide to get one.

For now, these verve’s are going to be great.

Glad to hear they are working for you! Its nice to have a lower end bike for family adventures, as you can leave it with no lock or a cable lock on the fence without worrying about it getting stolen while your down on the beach, or up a walking trail. Good idea with the flashing led as well, they really work well even during the day to get drivers attention. I need to track some down for our odd road rides.

Looks good!

Years ago I did some reading on flashing LED's and my takeaway was that in bike-heavy Europe they were not allowed. Apparently they did not work as well as one would think? That was over 10 years ago, and looking again shows the debate may have shifted. Most interesting is the idea that someone else might not be able to judge speed and distance from the blinking light--not sure if true, but may be worth a bit of searching. Personally I don't use 'em, but these days I generally only bike in nice sunny weather, and of course, since pretty much all lights have both solid and flashing settings, hard to avoid having the option.

Back