New battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my 2011 forester came with a battery with less CCA and RC than the current one in my 12hp tractor.(yes really)

Apparantly we get a "special" even lower capacity battery for having a MT.

The battery isnt labeled with anything useful but lookups on model 55D23L show its a 48AH and most people think its around 350CCA.
Made by panasonic

My issue is I do alot of short trips. And If I listen to the radio for 10min it barely starts in the winter. It really grunts even at 100% charge.

kinda urrg-urrrg-urrrrg Vroom.

Thinking about replacing my tractor battery that has seen better days with this one (tractor requires about 200CCA)

now the question:

which one do I buy for my car
Group 35 is factory size
group 26R is optional slightly shorter lengthwise

ok now if you read all that here is my problem

I wanted the G35 silver
its 500CCA 625CA 80m-RC about 75$+tax after deal

The G35 Gold is
640CCA 800CA 100m-RC about 87$ after tax

that seems simple because The gold is clearly a better deal even though I usually prefer silver series.

then add in the 26R battery that should fit(its slightly smaller)

G26R silver
575CCA 720CA 81m-rc final price 67$+tax

which one would you get? and why.
optional if you know another battery deal feel free to post a link.
Sears has selected diehard models for 50% off right now but none of the 8 models of diehard that fit my car are on sale...

-Rand

And they use the northeast (cold/winter) as their top selling point...yet dont use decent batteries.Goes to show,the Japanese still dont "get" America,and our climate.

Your OE battery is a Group 35 and is rated at 550CCA. You will need to meet or exceed that rating while maintaining proper fitment. Your existing battery is shot, replace it! If you have a Costco membership, I would look there first. HTH.

A group 48 battery is usually around 700CCA and 100 reserve minutes. It's a common size. I think it would suit you well, assuming it can fit dimensionally, though it is heavy at 45lbs.

Have you charged it via AC charger and then done a proper load test, or a conductive CCA test before you rule the battery bad?

Keep in mind more CCA in same footprint = weaker plates. So you need a battery that is equal or GT 550 CCA.

Look at your battery holder and height of current battery and see if you can use a larger group size. Also make sure the + and - posts are proper (which is left and which is right) for your vehicle.

Now picking a battery is then a matter of how much you want to spend. In many cases you really do not have a choice of CCA, you get a Silver with so many CCA and a Gold with more.

Interstate makes batteries with a range of CCA even for one group size, but unless you buy the popular CCA size, you may have to order it from a dealer.

What does your battery tray look like, are there any unused holes?

My hyundai had what you had, it was about 4 inches deep. But there were other holes and a normal battery fit just fine.

There are EPA weight classes that somehow let them cheat at CAFE by bumping down to a lighter car. Apparently options don't count. This gives a similar fake boost like the upshift light. Anyway your cheezy battery is part of this scam.

Since you are in NE Ohio and you see some cold temps go with the one that has the most reserve/CC (the gold) if you plan on keeping that vehicle for 5 years or longer . The few extra $'s is worth the piece of mind when you need to depend on the battery .

I think my pickup takes a group 35, and its a battery killer (the truck kills batteries). Ive had a Diehard platinum for going on 4 years and it's never failed. The truck is about 10 yrs old, and this must be the 4th or 5th battery, though its finally lasted. It wasnt cheap (~$250 installed) but what a beast its been. The problem with the truck is that it has a trickle drain if you leave the headlight switch on, even though opening the door shuts off the lights. It sits parked a lot, and its never needed a jump in 4 years.

Last edited:
i just did a quick google search of that part #55D23L

First link that came up was to Supercheap Auto( an aussie parts chain) for their brand of battery that matches up.

Century Car Battery - 55D23L, 540CCA - Supercheap Auto Australia
$158 AUD($147.08 USD)

the second was to a posting on Subaruoutback.org
the consensus seemed to be a group 35 battery, from Wally world.

just as an interesting co-incidence of an aside:
look @ the cars in my sig: The Neon takes a 26R, and the Vibe a Group 35.

Last edited:
My PT Cruiser takes a 26R and it's a battery killer.

Parasitic draw is 25mA. Well within spec. Alternator works well. But it kills 26Rs in about 18 months

Maybe it's just the heat from the ultracramped engine compartment (made even more hot and crowded by the turbo plumbing) and vibration at idle from the 2.4.
21.gif

Every year and a half, I put a new 26R in it.

Autozone changed (or started to enforce) their battery warranty policy. I had been just getting a free replacement every time. They went back to a warranty replacement 3 years ago on the last replacement and I had to pay a pro-rate.

They do not sell a gold. I suspect that I will be purchasing another brand in about another year and a half when there is little pro-rated warranty left.

Usually I would say silver because there is more energy (RC, which is loosely related to Ah) compared to the power, which means sturdier grids, etc.

However in this case the gold gives you more power and more energy.

Id go into the store with a bathroom scale and weigh the two. Whichever is heavier Id get. If the silver is the same mass, it may be a little more compelling to me, but for right now, Id say gold...

My 2009 Forester, also with a MT has been chugging along on this battery for 5 years and 155k. I don't know why I've never changed it. I think it is challenging me or something. No matter how many times I've had to jump it, it keeps starting...as long as you don't let any accessory or light run for more than a few minutes. I better change it before I get stuck in the cold.

Go with a 35 sized battery that has the highest RC you can find. As long as the CCA is 550 your good to go

why costco?
My Mom has a 2004 mercury grand marquis and i just replaced her battery wirh an auto zone gold
her original motorcraft is in a ford truck now and doing good

Last edited:
I am not used to seeing miniaturized Panasonic OEM batteries. I am used to seeing Group 35 models, and I am used to seeing them last 5 years or more.

Go to your parts store, find the recommended replacement size, and use the biggest size specified. Some Japanese cars will tell you to use a 35 or a 24R. Use the 24R if that is your case.

Originally Posted By: Rand
………...My issue is I do alot of short trips……………….

Me too. If your charging system is like the one on my Subaru, is has a pretty conservative charging algorithm. Even if you drive your Subaru for 96 hours nonstop, Subaru has made sure your battery will not overcharge. The flip side is that under short trip usage, the battery is lucky to get to a 80% SOC, and that is a recipe for sulfation. Under the short trip scenario my OE battery surprisingly lasted 5 years, but the 1st replacement battery (Duralast Gold) lasted 2 years, the second one (Walmart MAXX) was significantly weaker after only one year. So for my most recent purchase, I have switched to a different battery chemistry (carbon enhanced lead/calcium/tin/silver acid) and different construction (AGM instead of flooded). This battery is claimed to have enhanced charge acceptance, and much improved resistance to sulfation, compared to the ubiquitous lead/calcium battery. So far it seems to be working out better. But I still plan on using an external charger once a month in the winter.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Your OE battery is a Group 35 and is rated at 550CCA. You will need to meet or exceed that rating while maintaining proper fitment. Your existing battery is shot, replace it! If you have a Costco membership, I would look there first. HTH.

can you post a link to where you found that information?

the battery itself is unlabeled. I would hardly call it shot. its been this bad since it was new. and its under 2.5 years old.

Most feel its under 400CCA,
the bigger factory battery is still under 500CCA.

Dparm- the stock size is group 35, group 26R also fits.
anything else is either smaller or requires work to make it.. fit.

SubLGT- I was considering a better battery such as a diehard platinum(rebadged odyssey battery).
but they are 250$ they had many models on sale for 50% off locally but none that would remotely fit. Probably going with some sub-80$ AAP special.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: GSCJR

can you post a link to where you found that information?

the battery itself is unlabeled. I would hardly call it shot. its been this bad since it was new. and its under 2.5 years old.

Most feel its under 400CCA,
the bigger factory battery is still under 500CCA.

Dparm- the stock size is group 35, group 26R also fits.
anything else is either smaller or requires work to make it.. fit.

SubLGT- I was considering a better battery such as a diehard platinum(rebadged odyssey battery).
but they are 250$ they had many models on sale for 50% off locally but none that would remotely fit. Probably going with some sub-80$ AAP special.

Have you had it tested on a Midtronics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back