New battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your local AAA should offer mobile battery service, ours does. The batteries here are made by Deka with the AAA brand. I have been very pleased with mine. The testing is free and done right there. If you're not a member, I'd look for a Deka dealer then. Keep your paperwork for warranty. The reason they enforce the warranty provisions is that they've given too many freebies away. No battery warranty will cover a battery that was killed by a key-off drain in the vehicle, or improper charging.

Originally Posted By: Rand
……….SubLGT- I was considering a better battery such as a diehard platinum(rebadged odyssey battery).
but they are 250$ they had many models on sale for 50% off locally but none that would remotely fit. Probably going with some sub-80$ AAP special.

No doubt about it, the better batteries are expensive, mine was $200.

If you are ready for a cutting edge carbon foam based battery, there is the OASIS from Firefly. Probably $350 is my wild guess.

"………….Oasis Group 31 Battery Key Features

Superior reserve capacity. Packs more power and energy
Low self-discharge characteristics and unprecedented ability to recover after a long period of inactivity/non-use
Sturdy brass terminals for increased conductivity and corrosion resistance
Sealed valve regulated, maintenance free design
Absorbent Glass Mat separators prevent spilling of acid and resist damage from vibration
Substantially higher cycle life – over twice that of conventional batteries
Unparalleled ability to operate under Partial State Of Charge (PSOC) without any loss in capacity and performance……"

http://fireflyenergy.com/products/oasis-battery/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
……….SubLGT- I was considering a better battery such as a diehard platinum(rebadged odyssey battery).
but they are 250$ they had many models on sale for 50% off locally but none that would remotely fit. Probably going with some sub-80$ AAP special.

If you are ready for a cutting edge carbon foam based battery, there is the OASIS from Firefly. Probably $350 is my wild guess.

Low self-discharge characteristics and unprecedented ability to recover after a long period of inactivity/non-use
Absorbent Glass Mat separators prevent spilling of acid and resist damage from vibration
Unparalleled ability to operate under Partial State Of Charge (PSOC) without any loss in capacity and performance……"

Do you think these are (IF they ever make them in most automotive OEM sizes) worth $100.00-$150.00 more than a Platinum/Odyssey??

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
……...Do you think these are (IF they ever make them in most automotive OEM sizes) worth $100.00-$150.00 more than a Platinum/Odyssey??

If you do mostly short trips and drive your car only 2-3 times per week, they could make financial sense. Or if you drive a "light-hybrid" car with start/stop technology and regenerative braking they would be ideal, since start/stop/regen vehicles intentionally keep the battery around 70% SOC, and this quickly leads to performance sapping sulfation in a conventional flooded lead calcium battery.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT

Do you think these are (IF they ever make them in most automotive OEM sizes) worth $100.00-$150.00 more than a Platinum/Odyssey??

For most cars, even AGM isnt worth it. Unless it is a vehicle known to be prone to corrosion, has its battery in a bad spot (trunk/under seat, etc), IMO its generally a waste. If treated half decently, the flooded battery will last nearly as long, and make the extra cost of AGM not justified.

AGM is great for applications where very large arrays of matched batteries are required, and where the numbers and intended lifecycle cause maintenance and monitoring to be expensive. Car batteries can last 5-7 years, the thermally-caused degradation reactions still occur, and they are low enough maintenance these days to not be an issue. Thus AGM is not compelling for most automotive use. Ditto for fancy doped chemistries. Volumetric/gravimetric densities arent very important in the automotive space and requirement.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Have you had it tested on a Midtronics?

Its hard to without a CCA rating. you have to input that into the tester.

they will just put in 550 or whatever they think it is.. and it will fail then they will be like "news flash your battery is bad"

Even the larger outback battery is only 490.

2011 subaru forester oem is very low CCA.

I have the HF capacitance tester. works great as long as the battery is labeled with CCA.

I'll probably just wait till AAP has a rebate deal on top of current deal (like last year)

FWIW: it passes fine at 380CCA, and was 81% at 450CCA

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

Have you had it tested on a Midtronics?

Its hard to without a CCA rating. you have to input that into the tester.

they will just put in 550 or whatever they think it is.. and it will fail then they will be like "news flash your battery is bad"

Even the larger outback battery is only 490.

2011 subaru forester oem is very low CCA.

I have the HF capacitance tester. works great as long as the battery is labeled with CCA.

I'll probably just wait till AAP has a rebate deal on top of current deal (like last year)

FWIW: it passes fine at 380CCA, and was 81% at 450CCA

You probably could make an educated guess of CCA by weighing it. There must be a rule of thumb.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
For most cars, even AGM isnt worth it. Unless it is a vehicle known to be prone to corrosion, has its battery in a bad spot (trunk/under seat, etc), IMO its generally a waste. If treated half decently, the flooded battery will last nearly as long, and make the extra cost of AGM not justified.

Maybe so (I understand your bias against AGMs), but in MY scenario, the battery is in the WORST PLACE POSSIBLE, right on top of the coolant overflow tank.
So I feel it is more than a 'justifiable' cost in my case.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Maybe so (I understand your bias against AGMs), but in MY scenario, the battery is in the WORST PLACE POSSIBLE, right on top of the coolant overflow tank.
So I feel it is more than a 'justifiable' cost in my case.
wink.gif

I know, we've gone through your scenarios before. Im not biased against AGM, I ave 40000 lbs worth sitting in my lab right now
wink.gif

Just dont see the value proposition for MOST automotive applications.

Nor have I seen a massive spill on a properly treated and unabused flooded battery put into ANY location... (though this does happen from time to time).

Update:
My car barely started last night in 25F
So it was retested.

The HF tester is saying 12mohm? and 259CCA

I also noticed no matter what CCA rating you put in.. it gives you the same tested CCA.

I tried 500CCA(rating) and it said tested 260CCA
Then i tried 300CCA(rating and it said 259CCA

The battery is widely believed to be a 370-390CCA rating.

Going to try and get it warrantied.

If they give me too much [censored] I'll just go buy a battery. Not worth hassling over their [censored]- sub400CCA battery when a 575+CCA battery is
In other news my trusty smart charger I got on sale at radio shack 5 years ago.. the plastic clamp busted into 3 pieces...

so ordered up some replacement clamps from amazon.

I rigged up a temporary clamp for the charger and its saying 12.2V but would barely charge the battery. ex: on 10amp it would charge at 3.5 falling rapidly.
on 2amp.. it charged for 13min at 2.2amps then went to float.

I think the battery is about done.

Edit: after the charge its reading 14volts ~~ but still only rating 340CCA. I'm guessing after the surface charge dissipates it will be sub 300CCA in the morning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back