New and repurposed center console armres

Honda used some fragile material for the door cards and armrests on the 8th gen Accords (EX and above trims). With use and / or time the vinyl delaminates from the backing.

The material on the center console lid of my 2012 Accord had stated to do just that. I looked at the OEM part and it was well over $200. I was prepared to purchase in time but figured I would check alternatives.

I found a new cover (including plastic backing plate, not just the vinyl material) on Amazon for around $25!

I went ahead and purchased it, and installed today. I’m very pleased for the price. Is it perfect? No. But it’s 80% there, and honestly close to 100% for most people. I’m more critical than others.

Only complaints are slightly lighter color (more noticeable in person) and sloppier fit around the release handle.

My sisters Accord was previously owned by a bigger guy who went to the gym often. This did a number on the center console. I called her up and said I had something for her. Installed in about 10 minutes and she couldn’t be happier. She was thrilled.

Win-win!

Here are some pictures. The first 3 are of her Accord and the rest are of mine.
DD8862C9-F17F-44F9-86AB-CE46E7A4BD0C.jpeg
4F834D16-1DDC-49AA-86BB-7E33DE9A2F6E.jpeg
82D12D5A-DDE2-4EDC-B859-EE0D83DA83A8.jpeg
97F085A5-F807-4EAD-818F-43BDE63F2F2B.jpeg
F662E7B5-6348-429B-A589-3A3678B3F90A.jpeg
FA59DA5B-3C76-4BC0-B604-445CDBAB0AB7.jpeg
FC79CA58-2B54-4984-B5F2-E521C8A7872B.jpeg
2CCEAE33-AAA1-4994-9D2E-2CF41D9D290F.jpeg
A49177FA-C502-478B-ADCD-6F5D6299CDDD.jpeg

I know a Junkyard owner (sorry - Auto Dismantler) who recently told me that he is now getting calls from companies who make reproductions parts of all kinds. There is a growing trend for his business to sell these mix and matched parts along side other salvage inventory to insurance companies and or body shops who need to find other alternatives other than sourcing repair parts from the OEMs.

I asked him if this was a pure price play, and he said that many of these solutions (bumper covers, seat skins, trim, tail lights, headlights were all priced a lot lower than the OEM equivalents but that was not the only motivator. He also said the OEMs are quickly abandoning holding onto any NOS inventory items for vehicles that are out of production, and beyond the age of what has to be supported by parts availability laws.

I am interpreting this practice as what is common place in the large residential appliance business today. If you have an appliance that is older than 7 years, chances are poor for finding repair parts for it. They either don't exist or are no longer available.

For all of us who hold onto our cars much longer than the norm, we most likely will be hunting on Ebay and other like outlets to source parts that are "no longer available" from regular sources.

Please share any like experiences that you have had similar to what I am describing.

I have a 2005 Dodge neon sxt. They made 4 million of these vehicles. The oem pvc breather hose was unfortunately a custom shaped odd size. It was discontinued 4-5 years ago, which is an odd random part to discontinue. I still think it's part of my vacuum issue causing rough idle when warmed up. I had to buy a hose and connector from Napa.

But that problem can be taken care of easily enough, can't it? Just have him pour some soda onto the console and rub it into the fabric.

Looks awesome! It's probably a slightly lighter color because it is brand new and not dirty.

But that problem can be taken care of easily enough, can't it? Just have him pour some soda onto the console and rub it into the fabric.
Don’t make me cringe. Haha. The car is clean as a whistle (or as close as possible). Dirt isn’t the issue here. Just a different color.

Only you will know. Don't fall into my trap of doing something similar, having it turn out great like yours, but continuously catching your eye on the perceived faults that pretty much only you will notice... Nice work!

I have a rule I try to follow. After washing & waxing my cars, I try to stay about 3 feet away, or else I start seeing all those scratches in the paint that are revealed by cleaning off the dirt. And then I play that game, "Well if I look at the car in just this angle, that scratch doesn't appear that bad, does it?"

That’s pretty much my life, haha.

I have a rule I try to follow. After washing & waxing my cars, I try to stay about 3 feet away, or else I start seeing all those scratches in the paint that are revealed by cleaning off the dirt. And then I play that game, "Well if I look at the car in just this angle, that scratch doesn't appear that bad, does it?"
It also depends on the age of the car. The Accord is nearing 10 years old, looking great for 10 years but I understand that some wear over 10 years is expected and it won’t look factory fresh. The Jetta on the other hand…

Back