New Amsoil Grease Comparison Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that on the Amsoil site, then checked to see any comments on here about it. The specs look pretty good on this grease.
Seems as if the test would show in some way that one grease is better than another. Or will it be looked on as the equivalent to the 4 ball wear test......
27.gif

Actually I was expecting the cost for the machine to be $2000 plus.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Seems as if the test would show in some way that one grease is better than another. Or will it be looked on as the equivalent to the 4 ball wear test......
27.gif

Actually, I believe the 4 ball wear test is used and respected for examining greases. For motor oil testing, it is not so valuable. Motor oil and grease have two very different jobs and should be tested accordingly.

Oh I see, you are asking if the pound out grease test shown is really a relevant test to show the effectiveness of grease?

Actually, I was wondering that myself when I first saw the video. I am very skeptical when I see tests like this that show product X to perform very well in a test while product Y totally sucks in the test. It seems to show that any grease other than Amsoil grease is going lead to equipment failure and I don't believe that. Amsoil likes to show tests like this. So does Royal Purple. I tend to look at real-world results rather than marketing hoopla when I choose a lubricant.

27.gif

It may correlate very well, hard to say. There is not ASTM test, so they designed one.

I know the TFOUT they use is dated, and doesn't correlate well. The 4-ball has been discussed to death.

Many companies use some form of this demonstration. Amsoil has just spent some money and come up with a really neat demonstration (at least I think it's neat). I happen to have what looks like an extremely large mouse trap that does the same thing, but you do take a risk of smashing your fingers if the darn thing slips while locking the mechanism. Some companies just use two hammers. The purpose of the demonstration is to show how said grease does not pound out, which happens under certain shock load applications, like the bucket pins on a backhoe. So I actually find this test interesting.

What you have to be careful with is what grease you test against. You better know what the competition offers. Every oil company out there has a grease that will work well with this demonstration. You just have to pick the ones that won't, which most people doing a demonstration like this will do. It would not make much since to use a competitors grease that would do the same thing.

What Johnny said. This is pretty much a test to see how much tackifier is in a grease. Notice they didn't test Cat's best, Desert Gold grease, which is really what the Amsoil grease is designed to replace. I would also like to see how the "Green Grease" stacks up in this test as it to is a "polymeric" grease and very sticky.

Castrol also makes very sticky greases with their Pyroplex line. The "gold" Pyroplex grease is in this class and was not tested.

That test could be weighed either way with cold or warm grease,i use loads of this type grease in my work and when cold it's thick and when hot it's pretty thin so i don't put much merit into thst test,not saying that's what happen just saying.

how would this grease stack up against Schaeffer's #238 that does work in my real world pound out tests?

Not having any experience with this grease the specs do look pretty good. You have to admit most of the products Amsoil makes are pretty good.

You would not expect this grease to be any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back