New Amsoil ATF for Honda DW-1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: Pablo

This.

My question to Pablo is....

Did Amsoil do all the miles of testing that Honda has with its own ATF?
whistle.gif

Quote:

How many miles did Honda test the ATF for?

Let's not change the subject. I asked first.

So how many miles did Amsoil test their product in late model Honda automatic transmissions that only spec DW-1?

I have no idea exactly. No company lists or divulges such things.

You asked and I quote: "Did Amsoil do all the miles of testing that Honda has with its own ATF?". So I ask you how many is that?...and you really don't know, because....no company lists or divulges such things!

If the implication is that Amsoil hasn't tested the product enough, or something along those lines, then I can assure you, yes they have tested the product.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Amsoil recently began claiming Nissan Matic-S and Honda ATF-DW1 compatibility without a major formulation change.

Previously, Amsoil recommended their regular ATF for Matic-S, but are now recommending ATL.

21.gif

So from such a statement we are to assume?

a) Amsoil is shady
b) Matic-S changed and ATL is the best fit
c) Neither Amsoil ATF or Matic-S changed, Amsoil after further testing found ATL to be a better fit than ATF.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: asharris7
Buying it in NC from a NAPA independent dealer in a rural town. I have bought it a few times and it has always had the silver label. First time I bought it was last summer, last time was about 3 weeks ago.

Probably always best to order or pick-up from a warehouse as a PC.

Are you saying it's old stock? If it is, are you saying that the shelf life is not good? I know amsoil website says 3 years but....

There is nothing wrong with the oil you bought.

Also, I think antique shell wanted some too.
wink.gif

Bottle says it is "recommended" for Honda DW-1 applications.... but does the product "MEET" the DW-1 spec?

Last edited:
Amsoil ATL meets the physical specifications of DW-1.

If someone can produce a list of Honda approved DW-1 fluids, Amsoil would not be on such a list. I have never seen this list. What other companies are on this list?

And, no using Amsoil ATL in your late model Honda will not void the factory warranty.

Not know who is PMing who or what - I hope this answers the questions.

I've done 2 drain and fills with the Amsoil ATF in my 2010 Civic. Significant improvement in shift quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tones
I've done 2 drain and fills with the Amsoil ATF in my 2010 Civic. Significant improvement in shift quality.

Did you use ATF or ATL? What was in the AT before, Z-1 or DW-1?

I'm sure he used Z-1 for 2010 models. 2011 and newer require the DW-1. I just bought 3 qts of ATL and plan on doing 3x3 but at 5k intervals (b/c I don't want to waste good Amsoil ATL.

It was the Amsoil ATF. I am tempted to run the ATL though. I've only done 2 drain-and-fills, so I need to do a couple more. I could not tell what was in there before. I would assume Z-1.

Last edited:
I am switching over to the ATL in my 2011 Odyssey from DW-1. Would it be wise to do a single drain and fill every 5k (along with my oil changes) with ATL to eventually flush out all the old DW-1 with ATL over time? Thanks

Would it be wise to do a single drain and fill every 5k (along with my oil changes) with ATL to eventually flush out all the old DW-1 with ATL over time?

That's certainly a convenient way to do it.

I'd do a pan-drop & clean (does it have a pan?) and a full flush via the cooling hose if possible. This method is much more work but wastes less fluid and you get a cleaner system in the end.

It's really up to you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the pan if it has one or not? It's an Odyssey with 30k on it. I had the dealer do a single drain and fill at 20k with DW-1.

It's an Odyssey with 30k on it. I had the dealer do a single drain and fill at 20k with DW-1.

In that case I'd definitely do a complete flush and clean the pan & magnet.

Almost all of the initial break-in wear material is still in the tranny causing accelerated wear. Once you clean that out of the system it will stay much cleaner and your wear will be reduced dramatically.

Either way, the tranny will likely outlive the rest of vehicle but I like to keep the odds in my favour if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back