NEW Aisin ATF-MFZ for Mazda Type-FZ Applications

I use it exclusively in my 2002 Camry a Aisin also is the manufacturer of the transmission

I did a D&F on my 2012 Mazda3 (Skyactiv) at 60,000 miles. It is very light blue out of the bottle, but it changes to a light straw color in short order. The stuff that came out was very clean and didn't stink. I don't really think it needs to be changed very often, if at all. You can flame me all you want for saying that. The transmission runs quite cool. I didn't drop the pan because I saw a thread on a Mazda site that told of how much trouble it was to scrape off the gasket compound. I might be enticed to change the filter if I keep the car past 150,000 miles. It has pleated media inside it. FZ is an ultra low viscosity synthetic fluid formulated specifically for the Skyactiv Drive units. I have found mine to be flawless.

I wonder whether this aftermarket fluid would analyze (in a simple UOA) similar to, or quite different from, Mazda's FZ ATF. I'm thinking here of the significant difference between Honda's Z-1 and DW-1 vs. the Idemitsu fluid that claims to be specifically for DW-1 replacement.

The Critic

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
I wonder whether this aftermarket fluid would analyze (in a simple UOA) similar to, or quite different from, Mazda's FZ ATF. I'm thinking here of the significant difference between Honda's Z-1 and DW-1 vs. the Idemitsu fluid that claims to be specifically for DW-1 replacement.
The additive package of Honda ATF is so different than most ATF's that it is easy to identify the differences. For other fluids, at least in a typical VOA, the additive composition will appear quite similar so it is much harder to make a determination.

How much does this new FZ analog cost? I haven't priced the OEM stuff since about four years ago. I paid $60 for four quarts, delivered. The D&F used about 3.5 quarts.

Originally Posted by The Critic
The additive package of Honda ATF is so different than most ATF's that it is easy to identify the differences. For other fluids, at least in a typical VOA, the additive composition will appear quite similar so it is much harder to make a determination.
That is unknown until we see VOAs on both Mazda FZ and this new fluid. :-)

The Critic

Capture.JPG

$8.24/qt on Rockauto.