New 4Runner, Amsoil or Toyota Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, if you go with the OEM Toyota filter...I would buy from the local dealer or a dealer online...I'd stay away from places like Amazon or Ebay...lots of counterfeit parts out there...
You can buy on Ebay from a well known Toyota dealer that has ebay store, such as Daytona Toyota in FL and few others. Their prices will be better, especially when you buy in bulk. It will not be counterfeit.

Because it is a good oil and PAO isn't everything. In addition, I used to get it at a local Toyota dealer for $4.00 a quart.
Right, by itself PAO isnt everything, but if blended properly with additives, and I think Mobil1 knows how to do it right — it will be superior.
Just like your subjective opinion that Toyota oil is the best, I will state mine about mobil1 ep being the best.

I pretty much agree with all that was said, but this is BITOG and we are all looking for the "best"

I am using Castrol Edge 0W20 extended performance (gold bottle) in my 2015 Lexus GS350. It meets Mercedes Benz spec 229.71 for low viscosity oils. Seems like in all my reading that MB specs are much more stringent than API. I do change it at 5K intervals with the filter at 10K which is probably a waste of good oil but does give me peace of mind. I also use a Fram Ultra filter instead of the Toyota. Much better filtration of smaller particles sizes. Plenty of good posts supporting this in the oil filter section.

I bought a 2022 Toyota 4Runner and want to change my oil early to get rid of any break in material that may be in the oil. I understand that Toyota specs their oil and Mobil makes it and that it has a high ppm of moly in it. I’m wondering if there would be any advantage to using something like amsoil rather than the Toyota oil. I would be doing 5k mile changes.

What would you recommend?
Different strokes, if you want to be particular. Since the car is still breaking in in, I would go to the parts dept., buy toyota synthetic oil, take it to the oil change and instruct them to use your oil and return any portion left in your containers. After that run, use the proper spec oil of your choice.

Right, by itself PAO isnt everything, but if blended properly with additives, and I think Mobil1 knows how to do it right — it will be superior.
Just like your subjective opinion that Toyota oil is the best, I will state mine about mobil1 ep being the best.
I never stated TGMO was the best oil. Don't put words in my mouth. I stated that it was a hard to beat oil and that is a factual statement. I then stated that it was a good oil with a lot of moly and that is a factual statement. I also followed that is was a good buy at my local Toyota dealership.

There is no best oil.

I bought a 2022 Toyota 4Runner and want to change my oil early to get rid of any break in material that may be in the oil. I understand that Toyota specs their oil and Mobil makes it and that it has a high ppm of moly in it. I’m wondering if there would be any advantage to using something like amsoil rather than the Toyota oil. I would be doing 5k mile changes.

I would dump the first two sumps early, your call though, of course. You didn't mention in your post if you were doing the oil changes or the dealer. Regardless, be it Toyota brand oil or one of the major brands, they're all good oil. Toyota recommends 10k mile oci's I believe so that's what I would go with. OEM's are typically conservative with their maintenance requirements, so that being said why change oil and filter before the 10k mark if you're not really going to be pushing the oil (lots of short tripping, towing etc.) Good luck with that beautiful vehicle, nice choice.

OEM's are typically conservative with their maintenance requirements,

How do we know this is true? They'd have a hard time selling cars with 5K oil change intervals in today's competitive market when everyone else is 10K+, not to mention EPA and other agencies demanding less oil waste. I dont see how toyota 10k is a one size fit all, they dont even mention if severe service needs more frequent oil change.

Last edited:
How do we know this is true? They'd have a hard time selling cars with 5K oil change intervals in today's competitive market when everyone else is 10K+, not to mention EPA and other agencies demanding less oil waste. I dont see how toyota 10k is a one size fit all, they dont even mention if severe service needs more frequent oil change.
Think about it, why would they go 10k oci's on almost all of their model lineup if it were an iffy proposition? They protect themselves with their requirements.

Think about it, why would they go 10k oci's on almost all of their model lineup if it were an iffy proposition? They protect themselves with their requirements.
Lets hope its true, it used to be true for Toyota, its no longer same toyota when it cones to quality, they are all cutting conners. They hope you buy a new car soon rather than keep the old one forever.

Oh, if you go with the OEM Toyota filter...I would buy from the local dealer or a dealer online...I'd stay away from places like Amazon or Ebay...lots of counterfeit parts out there...
I’ve seen some Toyota Branded oil filters at Walmart in the $7 range not including the drain plug gasket.

Congratulations on your new 4Runner! And welcome to the forum.

A couple of things:

- Nothing wrong with changing your oil early. I usually do that at about 2-3K on our new vehicles.

- Toyota factory fill, like factory fill oils from many other OEMs, does usually show high PPM of moly, but you can't really infer a lot from that, because there are different forms of moly, and some are able to provide excellent friction modification properties even at lower PPM amounts.

- A premium brand like Amsoil might provide some benefit, but, for it to be measurable, I'd suggest getting a used oil analysis.

- Heavier grades than the 0W-20 that's printed on the cap are allowed (your owner's manual contains language to this effect, on the page where it has the engine oil information).

I'm running Mobil 1 Extended Performance 10W-30 in our 2021 (we now have over 15,000 miles). The engine exhibited some valvetrain noise running 0W-20, and this M1-EP 10W-30 has quieted it down and it's running smoother. I plan to run it for 10,000 miles. However, I do have some great quality 0W-20 (Valvoline Modern Engine and Mobil 1 Annual Protection) that I plan to run in it during colder weather. I just won't run a 0W-20 for 10,000 miles.

Reactions: Y_K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back