New 4Runner, Amsoil or Toyota Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you get 2 years of free Toyotacare maintenance?

edit.
For me, it's mostly about not having some 'lube tech' who is in a hurry, strip or cross-thread fasteners, or over-tighten the filter cap, etc.

I just asked the service writer if they'd give me the oil, oil filter, and drain plug gasket, as I had already paid for the 2 year 25K 'Free' maintenance, in the price of the 4Runner. He agreed.

It's possible that having bought the 4Runner at this dealership, and knowing the service manager when we both worked at a different Toyota dealer at one time, may have influenced their agreeing to do so.

IMG_20211016_140516.jpg

You are able to run any SP oil, of the recommended viscosity, in your new Toyota.

Genuine Toyota filters would be a safe bet. A Fram Ultra or Wix filter would work as well.

Enjoy the new vehicle. If maintained consistently, it should last many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Best!

For me, it's mostly about not having some 'lube tech' who is in a hurry, strip or cross-thread fasteners, or over-tighten the filter cap, etc.

I just asked the service writer if they'd give me the oil, oil filter, and drain plug gasket, as I had already paid for the 2 year 25K 'Free' maintenance, in the price of the 4Runner. He agreed.

It's possible that having bought the 4Runner at this dealership, and knowing the service manager when we both worked at a different Toyota dealer at one time, may have influenced their agreeing to do so.

View attachment 74576
That is true. My in laws had to have their bmw fixed by the dealer because they screwed up the oil change. If they do damage or break it you can claim it was the dealer and have proof so they'll fix it for free and give you a loaner.

We have a BMW which is under their free maintenance deal too. In that case I know and am friends with the tech who I take it to, as we were both master techs at an independent shop back in the day. He's competent, and shares my annoyance at hacks who might touch and cause damage to our personal vehicles. So I let him do it, and visit with him in his bay while he does the work. I get to catch up with a friend, and he gets paid by BMW.

Thanks for the input everyone. I will likely forego the amsoil and either stick with the Toyota oil or use Mobil 1. I think changing the oil more frequently is more important than which brand I go with. I would even consider doing 3k oil changes with cheaper oil even though that may be overkill. Just really excited to have a brand new car and want it to last as long as possible! I love taking care of my possessions and love that I am owning this car from day 1 and can maintain it how I see fit.

I think changing the oil more frequently is more important than which brand I go with.
Definitely. I am seeing more UOA reports in GDI engines that have higher fuel levels than normal due to short trips. Unless you keep testing your oil (which costs more than oil), you will never know if your oil is diluted with gas. Out of caution, I tend to agree with 5k OCI using cheaper synthetics.
As good as Amsoil and Mobil1 one is, they can do nothing about fuel dilution.
Consider Kirkland from Costco, its half price of Mobil1. In 4Runner, you can just climb under (dont think you need to lift it) and drain oil every every 5k, keep the same filter (change it every other time)

Reactions: Y_K
Definitely. I am seeing more UOA reports in GDI engines that have higher fuel levels than normal due to short trips. Unless you keep testing your oil (which costs more than oil), you will never know if your oil is diluted with gas. Out of caution, I tend to agree with 5k OCI using cheaper synthetics.
As good as Amsoil and Mobil1 one is, they can do nothing about fuel dilution.
Consider Kirkland from Costco, its half price of Mobil1. In 4Runner, you can just climb under (dont think you need to lift it) and drain oil every every 5k, keep the same filter (change it every other time)

It should be noted that the Dual VVT-i 1GR-FE in the 4Runner, is port injection only.

I bought a 2022 Toyota 4Runner and want to change my oil early to get rid of any break in material that may be in the oil. I understand that Toyota specs their oil and Mobil makes it and that it has a high ppm of moly in it. I’m wondering if there would be any advantage to using something like amsoil rather than the Toyota oil. I would be doing 5k mile changes.

What would you recommend?
Congrats on the new ride! The engine is port injected, easy on oil, and you will have none of the worries involved with gdi.

I ran Amsoil 5w-30 in my '15 4Runner and got great results at a 10k interval. Here's a report using Amsoil's 5w-20 at 7500-ish, when I was first extending:

I should add this was with lots of short trips and towing a 5000# trailer from Cleveland to Denver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Y_K
I'm with ya on this one.
I have serviced a friend's '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee since her husband passed away. It was in for warranty work and the dealership changed the oil. On the next service, I had to remove the drain plug with a ratchet for the length of the threads. Usually I only have to break torque.

The threads were full of whatever debris.

I think if your doing 5k intervals, Amsoil would be overkill. But there's nothing wrong with that if you'd want to do that. Do what you think is best. I think you could use any other FS 0W20 that you could get at Walmart, online, or even the Toyota oil and be fine in the long run. The Toyota 4.0 is a good engine. :)

Had a '16 4R. Miss it and wish I hadn't sold it. That 4.0L is bullet proof, and looks like its easy on oil... I went 8-9k OCI. IMO, you're needlessly changing it at 5k miles. Take advantage of a port injected engine that doesn't dilute oil or have the other turbo/DI related quirks that require a shorter OCI!

BTW, don't overtighten those skid plate bolts... They strip *very* easily. They may do it anyways... beyond your control.

BTW, don't overtighten those skid plate bolts... They strip *very* easily. They may do it anyways... beyond your control.
He speaks truth.

Since you are getting the toyota oil and filter for free I would check and see if he will give it to you every 5K. I don't
know what the owner's manual says the OCI is supposed to be. I'm guessing every 10K????

I would use either the Amsoil or Toyota oil. Leaning towards the Toyota oil.

Change at 2k and then at 5k and then every 5k after that.

Any brand name oil like Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil or house brands like Kirkland or Super Tech full synthetic with OCI every 5,000 miles with oil filter change at every oil change.

yep, ask my why I've got a tap on hand for re-cutting those threads....

anyway, the 1GR doesn't give much of a crap about what oil it gets, its been specced for everything from 20 to 50 weight depending on the market. if its just a grocery getter commuter, it'd be fine with 20 weight. if i was towing, loaded down with armor/oversize tires/racks, or running it hard in hot weather, go up a bit in my opinion and maybe adjust the interval down to 6-8k miles.

i'm currently running M1 0W-40 in ours and will probably have a UOA on that in the spring for anyone interested.

If it were my 'Runner (I have an '05 V8), I would go with the recommended oil weight...Mobil 1 and OEM Toyota oil filter every 6,000miles or 6 months...no more than 7,500 miles/1 year depending on how much you drive and how you drive.

On a side note, not sure about the newer 4Runners, but on my 4th (and earlier 5th) gen, there are zerk grease fittings on the slip yoke(s) and some of the u-joints...don't forget those at least once a year...more often if you go off road.

You might want to check out this forum...www.t4r.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back