New 420hp V6 Twin Turbo from GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
Looks like a pretty impressive motor. Not sure it is quite enough for a ATS-V however. We'll see. Great top (non-V) motor for the CTS however.

Wat? 420HP in a car weighing as much as the ATS? I think this will be the perfect engine for it.

That's a mighty nice-sounding engine. I hope it performs as well in the real world as its paper stats portend. Knowing GM's aftermarket, I bet somebody has this thing hitting 500 hp reliably with a reflash.

I would love it in an ATS. One more year and the trailer is paid for. That means no payments but the Mortgage. That means I get a new car. Lots of nice stuff out there right now.

Not sure it is quite enough for a ATS-V however.

There is probably not enough room under the hood of an ATS to fit in a V8, hence a blown V6 is the next best thing. And as sciphi mentioned, aftermarket tuners will get 500hp and gobs of torque out of it easily.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not sure it is quite enough for a ATS-V however.

There is probably not enough room under the hood of an ATS to fit in a V8, hence a blown V6 is the next best thing.

I dunno, those small blcok OHV V8s don't take up much space compared to a DOHC V6. I think they will offer both a V8 and the TT V6 option.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Better hope you NEVER have to change the starter on that thing....

That timing belt looks buried deep in there too. Maybe they all are, never had to deal with one.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Care to elaborate? Genuinely curious.

Look where the starter is tucked.

Starter is below the the top end, behind a heat shield, behind a turbo, that's behind exhaust manifold.

It's really well hidden. Doesn't take away from the neat factor of the engine.

Typically it's located at the bottom of the bell housing, not at the top.

Last edited:
Looks like chev has been reading fords play book and took a lesson. Dohc,twin turbo. Now lets see them torture test it like ford did in the truck. We all know how well the northstar engines fared fr Cadillac. Those northstar motors were awesome and should have been installed in a high revving sportscar but instead were installed in a vehicle where the drivers demographic never revved the engine past 3000 rpm,hence gasket failures.
Lets hope this engine doesn't suffer the same fate. It certainly looks like it has potential.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
I would love it in an ATS. One more year and the trailer is paid for. That means no payments but the Mortgage. That means I get a new car. Lots of nice stuff out there right now.

At around 3500 pounds loaded the ATS will be a ROCKET with that under the hood.

Personally I love the 3.6, and I never appreciated it until I rented the ATS for a few weeks. It has a wonderful proper power curve that builds smoothly to a silky wail at high rpm. It lacks off idle torque, and modern turbocharging will give it all that and more.

I'll bet the mileage will be great, too.

I am hoping Caddilac couples it to a 6MT otherwise no interest for my wife(esp) and me.

Originally Posted By: hisilver

That timing belt looks buried deep in there too. Maybe they all are, never had to deal with one.

This engine uses a timing chain.

Considering the cars these are going into, it'll be the tech's problem to worry about more than likely.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

At around 3500 pounds loaded the ATS will be a ROCKET with that under the hood.

Yep. It will be a fun car. Wish it was a little bigger, though, and there is lots of competition in its segment.

My sister had one of the new Jaguar XF's with the supercharged V6 as a loaner last week. It's only 340 hp ( I think ), but it's also only $60K.

Isn't the normally aspirated ATS already in the $50K range?

Originally Posted By: Win
Isn't the normally aspirated ATS already in the $50K range?

Almost. The starting price for the 3.6 version is $42K. Almost $48K for the 3.6 Premium version. ATS-V will probably be in the low to mid 50s.

While it's a nice looking and driving car, like you said, there are many other options available in that price range.

And some big horsepower numbers, too.

$60K in the little Jag also gets you AWD. I think the RWD version is only about $53K. For the big spenders, $100K in the little XFR-S brings 550 ponies to the party.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back