New 420hp V6 Twin Turbo from GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why not just use a V-8 ?

This TT engine will have 420 hp at Daytona, and 420 hp at Denver. A NA 420 hp V8 will not have the same power in Denver as in Daytona. That's a boon to folks who want to burn rubber in Denver, or take their CTS skiing to Vail. Much easier to ascend a high pass when the engine's making the same power as the altitude climbs.

GM is going boosted for fuel efficiency and packaging reasons, just like every European manufacture is. Audi's new V8 for example is only 18in long!

In a few years you probably will only be able to get a big NA motor in the Corvette and their trucks.

Its only a matter of time before they follow suite and start shrinking their V8's and adding turbo's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's a mighty nice-sounding engine.

I watched the video and all I heard was music playing.
bewildered.gif

That was awesome!

You should all find this video interesting. it's a ground up animation build of a 3.6L TT. I suggest watching fullscreen./

Last edited:
I thought I provided that video in the opening post of this thread, Nick.
smile.gif

....wow.
*headdesk* It's been a while since I read the first page =P
I also just got back from jogging. /more excuses
whistle.gif

I fail.

At 6500 rpm and 12 psi boost, this thing is just getting started. This engine has valve sizes big enough to get over 7000 rpm and still breathe well. Jack up the boost to 18 psi and raise the speed to 7200 rpm, and we'd be looking at 550 HP.

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Originally Posted By: dja4260
Better hope you NEVER have to change the starter on that thing....

That timing belt looks buried deep in there too. Maybe they all are, never had to deal with one.

This engine uses a timing chain.

Considering the cars these are going into, it'll be the tech's problem to worry about more than likely.

Make that plural: timing chains. One for the left bank cams, one for the right bank cams, and one for the oil pump.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's a mighty nice-sounding engine.

I watched the video and all I heard was music playing.
bewildered.gif

That was awesome!

Crazy.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
At 6500 rpm and 12 psi boost, this thing is just getting started. This engine has valve sizes big enough to get over 7000 rpm and still breathe well. Jack up the boost to 18 psi and raise the speed to 7200 rpm, and we'd be looking at 550 HP.

GM has to hold something back for future improvement!

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am hoping Caddilac couples it to a 6MT otherwise no interest for my wife(esp) and me.

+1. Dont hold your breath.

At a lower price point, Im hoping Buick gets this too...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am hoping Caddilac couples it to a 6MT otherwise no interest for my wife(esp) and me.

+1. Dont hold your breath.

At a lower price point, Im hoping Buick gets this too...

My understanding is this is the engine for the Regal GN, but it is speculation.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
It certainly seems like it out classes the Ecoboost handily...

Hardly, the first EcoBoost 3.5 was unveiled with 420 HP years ago, they were calling it TwinForce at the time.

EB 3.5 is severely detuned, probably for durability's sake in a pickup.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
It certainly seems like it out classes the Ecoboost handily...

Hardly, the first EcoBoost 3.5 was unveiled with 420 HP years ago, they were calling it TwinForce at the time.

EB 3.5 is severely detuned, probably for durability's sake in a pickup.

I have no recollection of the Ecoboost at 420 HP.
I thought it has always been 365.
Do you have a link for reference?

Lincoln MKR concept car unveiled in 2007 had a prototype of this engine rated at 415 HP. None of the production versions were rated this high though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_MKR

Yeah, prototypes are usually only loosely indicative of actual production motors.

I agree that the Ego-booster was likely detuned for longevity, but it is just too new to have very much data. Not too many bad stories except the intercooler condensation issues and minor glitches that do not seem to relate to durability.

GM has to hold something back for future improvement!

Maybe the boost pressure is 12 PSI because the engine has a high compression ratio.

A higher compression engine with a lower peak boost pressure design has less turbo lag when compared to a low compression engine with high boost pressure.

Lincoln MKR concept car unveiled in 2007 had a prototype of this engine rated at 415 HP. None of the production versions were rated this high though...

Now that GM has joined the battle, Ford needs to get on the ball and uprate the Ecoboost. I've always thought that 365hp was underpowered for this engine. Their max power comes at only 5500 rpm, which is loafing for a DOHC engine. Their naturally aspirated 3.5's have peak power at 6500, so there is a lot more to be had if Ford would just go after it.

Last edited:

Now that GM has joined the battle, Ford needs to get on the ball and uprate the Ecoboost. I've always thought that 365hp was underpowered for this engine. Their max power comes at only 5500 rpm, which is loafing for a DOHC engine. Their naturally aspirated 3.5's have peak power at 6500, so there is a lot more to be had if Ford would just go after it.

I'm thinking that they purposely kept the boost and power density low, and NOT just for longevity's/reliability's sake, but in FULL anticipation of this beautiful 'horsepower war' with the General.
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back