New 420hp V6 Twin Turbo from GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that's the big thing besides MPG. Automakers tend try to be similar to the rest of the segment. The BMW 335 has a twin turbo 6, so the ATS-V goes the same route. Although I still think a V8 would be better and BMW had developed a V8 and might've went with it but it's back to the MPG thing.

Maybe the new Camaro will have this engine instead of the V8. That'd be kind of a shame.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Don't get me wrong, the LS-series engines sound great. I own an LS2 equipped vehicle, and I love the sound of the engine.

But it's completely out of character in a competitor in the Euro sports sedan segment...

Maybe true, but if they can do it without upsetting this car's GREAT balance/weight distribution/handling, they can beat the pants off of the Teutons (and Nippons as well) with an LT1 (or the hotter version of this new Vette engine when it's out) engined ATS, and maybe STILL get decent highway mileage out of it.
wink.gif

As light as it is and with good aero it should be similar to the new Vette.

But Corporate has been grooming this TT V-6 for a long time.

As I stated before the V6 is a real sweetheart to drive, TT will only make it better.

Originally Posted By: RS250
Also slated for the 2015 Buick Grand National & GNX. See April
2013 Car and Driver.
Wow. A turbo V6 for the new GN, fitting. Except.. the GN should have been a coupe!!!

Well turbos are nice at altitude and easy to get big numbers out of. I have two LS V8s at my house. Having said that. I think once the trailer is paid off, my new payment will be a twin turbo ATS.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
2013 Car and Driver.
Wow. A turbo V6 for the new GN, fitting. Except.. the GN should have been a coupe!!!

Eh, coupe, 4 door. Who cares. My goofy 98 4 door supercharged Buick is faster than a bunch of cars. I don't worry about the two rear doors. Most cars will only see the rearend of the new Regal GN anyway...

2013 Car and Driver.

As the owner of a 1987 Grand National - I fully agree!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
2013 Car and Driver.

Come now... You know you would love your GN even if it had 4 doors.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
2013 Car and Driver.

Come now... You know you would love your GN even if it had 4 doors.
smile.gif

Guilty as charged!
grin.gif

With a blown V6, it allows them to play with the ponies more freely. They can offer the same engine but with different programming in various applications and charge extra for the more boosted programming.

Also, in a few years when competition catches up, they'll be able to remain competitive just buy changing the programming and little else.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why not just use a V-8 ?

This TT engine will have 420 hp at Daytona, and 420 hp at Denver. A NA 420 hp V8 will not have the same power in Denver as in Daytona. That's a boon to folks who want to burn rubber in Denver, or take their CTS skiing to Vail. Much easier to ascend a high pass when the engine's making the same power as the altitude climbs.

Wonder if they are going to put this in a truck? Would make a really good motor for a new Silverado SS....I really want them to bring the SS back!

It certainly seems like it out classes the Ecoboost handily...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why not just use a V-8 ?

This TT engine will have 420 hp at Daytona, and 420 hp at Denver. A NA 420 hp V8 will not have the same power in Denver as in Daytona. That's a boon to folks who want to burn rubber in Denver, or take their CTS skiing to Vail. Much easier to ascend a high pass when the engine's making the same power as the altitude climbs.

Being realistic, I doubt GM is designing a high power engine around the possibility that someone might take it to a mountain pass...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Wonder if they are going to put this in a truck? Would make a really good motor for a new Silverado SS....I really want them to bring the SS back!

It certainly seems like it out classes the Ecoboost handily...

I'm quite sure the Ecoboost has plenty of reserve built into the design, and Ford will have no problem matching or besting the power output.

This certainly makes things interesting though
smile.gif

That's a mighty nice-sounding engine.

I watched the video and all I heard was music playing.
bewildered.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That thing's going to fall apart. They didn't put any screws in.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's a mighty nice-sounding engine.

I watched the video and all I heard was music playing.
bewildered.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back