New 370Z Overheating with mild track time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: c3po
Are you telling us that this car did not come with an oil cooler.

yup, will prob be added to the 'sport' package in year 2 or 3... should be standard in that option as far as i'm concerned... i'll look into the b&m option, thanks...

best,
travis

OP, you need an oil cooler. no way around it. I wouldn't worry about taking the car on track with 200 miles. it is not a big deal. The 'limp mode' is just like a rev limiter.. keeps you from doing permanent damage to the motor.

If I were in your shoes I would use a Nissan Motorsports or Nismo oil cooler kit, keep using the factory fill oil, keep the car stock and just keep enjoying it.

By the way do you have the manual or the automatic

Just an FYI, in the motorcycle world, it is quite common to see engine temps and oil temps come down after the OEM exhaust and airbox/intake restrictions are changed. This is particularly true with catalyst equipped bikes.

I have to wonder if the installation of a cat free "race" exhaust, low restriction intake and a computer tune would not help modern cars too.

Sad indeed. I have already watched a frustrated 370Z owner leave the track due to overheating the oil.

At least the engine protected itself.

For a premium synthetic even 280-290 is aok but my own personal indicator goes crazy at 300 degrees.

Last edited:
Apparently this is not uncommon...it happened to Car and Driver while they were testing it. Sounds like a design flaw...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/bes...san-370z-page-4

"Then, while lapping Grattan, the engine-oil temperature reached roughly 290 degrees, and the car adopted a low-power mode for self-preservation. This required even more low-speed driving to cool things down. Not fun."

Last edited:
On a stock setup, a good track flogging will probably induce limp mode. I bet that at my level, I probably wouldn't be able to get it to limp.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMHC
Apparently this is not uncommon...it happened to Car and Driver while they were testing it. Sounds like a design flaw...

"Then, while lapping Grattan, the engine-oil temperature reached roughly 290 degrees, and the car adopted a low-power mode for self-preservation. This required even more low-speed driving to cool things down. Not fun."

Coprolite I have to hand it to JMHC, this is exactly the exact article that i was referring to when I responded to you. I remembered about the 4 quart oil capacity, which some has said is actually 3.75 quarts!

The Mustang ran a hot lap; The Z just ran hot, and overheated.

Ouch!

People hate that limp mode. They say it means that Nissan engineers knew there was a problem.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
On a stock setup, a good track flogging will probably induce limp mode. I bet that at my level, I probably wouldn't be able to get it to limp.

But IMO the car should be able to lap the track competitively without dying on ya!

My full size 4 door sedan has run many a lap at courses all over the country without a hiccup.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Coprolite

But IMO the car should be able to lap the track competitively without dying on ya!

My full size 4 door sedan has run many a lap at courses all over the country without a hiccup.

X2

Especially a performance vehicle.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

Coprolite I have to hand it to JMHC, this is exactly the exact article that i was referring to when I responded to you. I remembered about the 4 quart oil capacity, which some has said is actually 3.75 quarts!

Ouch!

People hate that limp mode. They say it means that Nissan engineers knew there was a problem.

Since this thread is 3 years old, has Nissan released an oil cooler setup for track use in the meantime?

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Ouch!

Since this thread is 3 years old, has Nissan released an oil cooler setup for track use in the meantime?

Well, where would they put it? That engine is pretty well jammed in there.

Not only that, but the NISMO versions (?) of this car supposedly have even worse issues, and no AFAIK they havent increased the size of the sump. Almost wondering if people just run heavier motor oil to deal with it. I am unfamiliar.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt with respect to why the limp mode is there. I'd suggest that the Nissan engineers knew there was a problem, but I wouldn't think a limp mode would be because of that. Having a limp mode due to excessively high oil temperatures (be that from tracking a car with too little oil cooling, or a failure, or whatever other reason) is simply a good failsafe.

With respect to room for extra cooling, there seems to be enough room in the lower air dam, at least on the G side of things. I've also read about an oil pan spacer to create extra sump capacity.

I mentioned in another thread some time ago comparing this oil heating issue compared to my old Audi 200 Turbo. It had a slightly smaller sump (4.5 L versus the G's 4.9 L). It's oil cooler, however, was bigger than the rad. Running that thing on full boost for over half an hour on one of the hottest days of the year yielded an oil temperature of only 95 C. That temperature reading was accurate, too, since I had checked the calibration of the oil temperature sending unit shortly before that run.

I wonder how the 370Z guys are keeping oil temps. in check on their cars in the Continental Sports Car Challenge Series? They have been steadily getting more and more competitive with the other cars in their class. On a side note, if you guys wanna watch some great racing, I highly recommend that series. You can find the races on SPEED sometimes. I'm an avid nascar fan, but I started watching these guys too and its very competitive.

While embarrassing, I never see limp mode as a design flaw or just about anything other than good preventative planning. If they enabled the car to monitor how its doing and shut it off when its about to explode, I call it smart.

The Porsche had it when my wastegate failed and overboosted. I limped my way off the track but was [censored] happy thats all that happened compared to trying to pick up parts of my engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back