New 370Z Overheating with mild track time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
The GT-R eating trannies is far overblown. Already fixed and dealt with.

This VQ37 not handling track use.. so far this is just one case. Hold judgment until you see more of this happening.

Actually two cases for the 370z or 3. Two magazines also noted it had a overheating issue. And the G37 is having the issue.

Very interesting.
That is one hot running car considering the ambient temp was only 70F.
Definately install an oil cooler.
What's the factory recommended oil and grade?
I'd run a high HTHS vis oil like Redline 5W-40 or 10W-40.

So I'm not understanding the full reasoning behind why the limiter is needed. I get that the VVEL requires relatively precise oil pressure/viscosity to work correctly, but what would happen when the oil pressure is off if there were no rev-limiter intervention?

Would power output just drop? Would components overheat? Would valve timing be so off that you would have valve-piston contact? (I'm assuming not).

I've always assumed that common VVT systems with cam phasers would default to a safe but suboptimal timing profile if the phaser stopped working correctly (lost or reduced oil pressure). Is this not the case for the VVEL system?

If not then it seems like this is a durability advantage in favor of systems more like VTEC where the timing mechanically between different sets of cam lobes instead of through hydraulic means. If there's not sufficient oil pressure to activate the system you just stay in the normal profile which presumably is safe at whatever engine speed, just suboptimal. Of course this comes at the expense of continuously variable timing.

I may be misunderstanding some of this stuff though..

Nothing beats a good ole iron block VG30DE.........well,except the VG30DETT of course
11.gif
Man you can pound the living sh** out of those engines!!!!!!! They`re definitely not made to granny cruise,they`re made to be driven hard! The harder you push them,the smoother they seem to run. Nissan`s best engine ever,imo.

I drove current model BMW M5 on the track last summer when air temp. was 100F. Oil temp. got to 300F and the rev limiter dropped along with power. But that was a very hot day.

I'm not too surprised to hear of other high-performance cars heating up similarly, but it is a shame.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Is the Nissan really [built] enough for the racetrack?

O yea. You can have some fun with them on a track.
I would say there not built for track use all the time for years.

But they could be with slight mods.

I certainly hope this 370Z owner isn't expecting any help from Nissan on this issue. His warranty is long gone now after abusing his brand new car.

In almost every hard-racing question, I end up suggesting the same thing - Redline straight 30 or 40; OR RLI straight 30 or 40. Those oils are built for serious abuse....

The poor thing isn't even broken in yet. VQ's take much longer to break in than most engine's. Some take more than 40k miles to get fully broken in.

Seems Nissan wants their backs covered in these cases to minimize warranty repairs as they know these vehicles will be driven hard and taken to the track, something that can void a new car warranty.

I missed the 200 mile break in part. I`d NEVER abuse a car like that after only 200 miles. Good God!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I missed the 200 mile break in part. I`d NEVER abuse a car like that after only 200 miles. Good God!

You'd hate to see what auto manufactures do then. Do you think the 'vette doesn't get WAILED on after it is put together? Because I've got news for you......

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

You'd hate to see what auto manufactures do then. Do you think the 'vette doesn't get WAILED on after it is put together? Because I've got news for you......

I'd love that job..

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

I'd love that job..

They've wrote-off two or three new Camaro's at the Oshawa plant already because of this
wink.gif

To the OP. You have plenty of miles on the motor, it started, it's good to go. As part of my job I've left pit lane in all types of new cars that were backed off a transporter had the tire pressures and fluid levels set, usually 6-8 miles on them. You've done no harm. I would change the factory fill however.

I would contact Redline and see what they recommend and describe your intended usage. They've been very helpful to me in the past and I've gotten no oil related issues in anything I have. I've used their products exclusively in my track/race cars since 2000. I would add an oil cooler, it really is the solution. I really like Setrab coolers and XRP fittings, if there is an external oil cooler on your car, it should be very easy to figure out how to replace with a real Setrab radiator. When routing though, keep all the plastic at the front of the car, don't throw any of that stuff away, it is integral to the proper airflow through the radiator and out of the engine compartment.

For those that mentioned the LS7 and a dry sump. That setup is garbage, really it is. There are pump cavitation issues, scavenge issues, it really isn't a true dry sump, it still has a large oil pan and tank. To "fix" the issues the 09 cars have a larger capacity.

hi all, this is travisjb from the the370z.com forum, the original post was an excerpt from a thread i started on that forum - here...

http://www.the370z.com/track-autocross-d....html#post36573

in case anyone is interested, the 370 forum is covering lots of activity with 3rd party oil cooler kits for this car... e.g., i mine is in the shop right now at vivid racing in tempe, az, and they are doing lots of mods including the oil cooler... for updates - check 370z.com

the break-in period debate is age old... as you might imagine, i agree with dburke ! then again, i view cars as consumables, and i was also that kid that broke all his toys when he was little
cool.gif

regards
travisjb
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: travisjb
then again, i view cars as consumables, and i was also that kid that broke all his toys when he was little

You did not break them. You fixed them untill they could not be fixed anymore!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: travisjb
hi all, this is travisjb from the the370z.com forum, the original post was an excerpt from a thread i started on that forum - here...

http://www.the370z.com/track-autocross-d....html#post36573

in case anyone is interested, the 370 forum is covering lots of activity with 3rd party oil cooler kits for this car... e.g., i mine is in the shop right now at vivid racing in tempe, az, and they are doing lots of mods including the oil cooler... for updates - check 370z.com

the break-in period debate is age old... as you might imagine, i agree with dburke ! then again, i view cars as consumables, and i was also that kid that broke all his toys when he was little
cool.gif

regards
travisjb
cheers3.gif

Are you telling us that this car did not come with an oil cooler.

B&M makes a nice stacked plate oil cooler, this is much better than the tube and fin type cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back