New 2020 Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought our daughter a new 2020 Toyota Corolla LE with 1.8 engine.

Initial impression is a very good ride for a small car. Engine had adequate power. Not a big fan of the CVT transmission, but most small cars have them now.

Toyota recommends 0w-20 full synthetic oil with 10,000 mile intervals. Will most likely have oil changes done at 5000 mile intervals for the first 3 or 4 times.

Well done! Corolla's are always a go to choice especially for their known reliability. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WTJackalope
Will most likely have oil changes done at 5000 mile intervals for the first 3 or 4 times.

Wouldn't hurt to do the first change at 2,000 miles and second at 5,000. During the break in period the mating parts wear the most. Many years ago they suggested the first oil changes at 500 or 1,000 miles. Sure, modern manufacturing has tighter tolerances so break in isn't as strict, but it's still a mechanical item.

Great choice for a first car.

Our 2006 Corolla (bought as a dealer demo in 2006) for the kids has over 200,000 miles on it. It has led a hard life and required only one repair during that time (crank bolt came loose, drive pulley wobbled on the end of the crank and had to be replaced. Bizarre failure, but I fixed that over 100,000 miles ago, so, no worries.) I consider that to be exceptional service.

It got oil changes per the schedule (5,000 miles). I used whatever 5w30 (as was specified at the time) I could find on sale. When I changed the valve cover gasket and checked the valves at 90,000 miles, it was perfectly clean on the top end.

A great car.

Toyota Care means free oil changes for the first two years.

So, if you want to change it early/more often, you can do that yourself. My truck is flex fuel, which halved the OCI, so Toyota care meant 5,000 mile oil changes, which the dealer happily did under Toyota Care.

It's probably got a cartridge filter, so be sure you've got an appropriate tool before you tackle the first oil change.

I hear they are more engaging to drive than in the past. But they cost as much as a Camry used to a few years ago.

At least its not a Civic - or a Mustang.

Back in my day they were usually mid -60's hand me downs -

or some times if new a:

Fiat 128 or VW Super Beetle or Ford Pinto or - GASP!-

Datsun B210 Honey Bee ....

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
General Corolla question.

Wasn't it the case that the bottom most trim level Corolla still had a geared transmission?

Could that still be the case?

Other than being almost subcompact size, the new hatch looks really nice to me. Corolla hit bottom about a decade ago and has improved since. This new generation, hatch and sedan looks greatly improved.

A good set it and forget it car appliance for a daughter. On the new Toyota I bought long ago, the dealer requested the car be returned at 1000 miles for a free oil and filter change. Dealers differ I guess. The Toyota dealer was a car collector.

Originally Posted by Kira
General Corolla question.

Wasn't it the case that the bottom most trim level Corolla still had a geared transmission?

Could that still be the case?

Not anymore in an automatic. Maybe in a stick!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
You could get one in 2019.

Yup, 2020's are out now.

I read Rodent Rack tested and liked the new hatchback.

But not a fan of fake " toyota quality" that has let me down multiple times.

Subaru slaughters toyota for reliability in our experience.

My 2007 Corolla with a 5 speed had 177K trouble free miles. I sold it when I bought a new truck and now I'm regretting that decision. You can't get the new ones with a manual transmission. Or a Mazda 3/6 sedan for that matter.

I'm seriously considering buying a Honda Civic with a stick while I still can and putting it into storage.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I read Rodent Rack tested and liked the new hatchback.

But not a fan of fake " toyota quality" that has let me down multiple times.

Subaru slaughters toyota for reliability in our experience.

So, what do you have to say about the fact that Toyota owns controlling interest in Subaru?

I really like the way the car looks, but it's a shame Toyota hasn't given it a turbo and IRS. Those two important features are why I would personally go with a Civic as my next car over a Corolla. And the hatchback is the car I really want, but yeah....no turbo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back