2021 Toyota Corolla sedan & hatch

While visiting my daughter in PA for Father's Day weekend, I took an early morning walk(6am) before everyone woke up. During my walk, I came upon a Toyota dealership so I strolled through the lot and glanced at the very few 2021 Corolla's on the lot.

IDK if the sedan(my preference) can be had w/2.0L but they only had them w/1.8L w/LE trim...Maybe in the SE trim?

All of the hatchbacks(SE) on the lot had the 2.0L and surprisingly, the 2.0 SE hatch's were equipped w/205-55-16 tires instead of the 18" pgk that I've seen/read about in publications.

Smaller whl/tire pkg is another preference of mine...I want that little more power & mph but, w/o the firmer ride & expense of 18"s.

I'd like to see(curiosity) if the sedan can be had w/2.0L & 16" whl/tire pgk. The 2.0L/CVT also gets better fuel economy than the 1.8L/CVT. I realize the they are different CVT's for each engine.

There happened to be 1 Corolla(sedan) that was left unlocked so I jumped in front & rear, opened the hood & trunk. At first glance, things looked & felt OK and the doors seemed to close with a more solid thunk than the new Camry from my recent memory. And there was lots of room in the engine bay.

And lastly what I noticed is that both sedan & hatch had a final assembly in JAPAN which may be a selling factor to many. However, I think that Toyota will be moving production around the world for different markets.

Well, a short story long...
It just happens to be the style that I am most attracted to. However I do have a soft spot for hatchbacks for their slightly better utility...and style too!

Years ago when I was a kid, 2 door cars were my preferences and they were everywhere! Everything from the typical Camaro/Firebird, Mustang, Charger to Lincoln Mark, Cadillac Coup de' Ville, Monte's, Grand Prix, T-Bird, hatch/liftbacks...you name it.

Then I got married & had a family and found out how usefull 4 doors can be...4 door anything! Then the auto mfg's started designing 4 drs with style/flair...instead of Yuk!

But sedans are still my preference(today) where as my wife loves her an SUV. I like an SUV too but they're lower on my list of likes.

And though the mainstream mid size family sedan is still my favorite segment, I'm not a luxury car guy(AUDI, BMW, MB).

The midsizers(CamCordTimaSsat-6) are getting just a bit too large for my driving comfort.

And the mainstream compact family sedan(CivRollaForteJetta) are now getting large enough for my taste & need to maybe move down a step.

Doesn't look like the sedan comes with the 2.0 and the 16" wheels. I guess you could buy the model with the 2.0 and put winter tires on the 18" wheels and pickup a set of 16" OEM wheels and tires if they are that important to you. I bet a flexible dealer might trade them out for free to make the sale.

The hatch only comes with 18" wheels if you get the XSE. Both the SE and XSE sedans only come with 18" wheels, no other options there. Unless you find a really nice dealer that will swap wheels with a, SE hatch or XLE sedan you'd have to go aftermarket.

I have an SE sedan and the 18's ride just fine in my opinion. But i do have concerns about bending one eventually since the tires are so low profile.

Originally Posted by JoelB
The hatch only comes with 18" wheels if you get the XSE. Both the SE and XSE sedans only come with 18" wheels, no other options there. Unless you find a really nice dealer that will swap wheels with a, SE hatch or XLE sedan you'd have to go aftermarket.

I have an SE sedan and the 18's ride just fine in my opinion. But i do have concerns about bending one eventually since the tires are so low profile.

NOPE! For 2021, this dealers lot has only 16" on the Corolla hatchback. They're 16" aluminum wheels w/205-55-16.

YUP, you heard me correctly and I verified this on the Toyota factory window sticker under the exterior"Standard Equipment". This was not a dealer swap out. I was surprised myself.

Last edited:
Maybe i wasn't clear, the hatch SE comes with the 16" wheels. The hatch XSE comes with 18" wheels. But they do seem to be coming out with a special edition based on the SE that will have all black 18" wheels.

Also, the 2021 hatch isn't even on Toyota's website. So the hatch's you were looking at were most likely 2020's still.

The Corolla sedan looks better than the hatchback. I wish Toyota made a Corolla with some decent pep like a Civic Sport, Elantra Sport, Kia Forte GT.

Also, the 2021 hatch isn't even on Toyota's website. So the hatch's you were looking at were most likely 2020's still.

NOPE! ... 2021 models on the factory window sticker w/EPA ratings and all.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The Corolla sedan looks better than the hatchback. I wish Toyota made a Corolla with some decent pep like a Civic Sport, Elantra Sport, Kia Forte GT.

You may find this interesting... Coming to US 2022.

Originally Posted by ToyotaUSA
The GR Corolla will use the mighty turbocharged hamster wheel from the GR Yaris that pumps out 257 horsepower and 266 pound-feet of torque from just three cylinders displacing 1.6 liters. It will be offered with a six-speed manual and AWD.

New cars are souless and bore me to tears.

I'm planning on going back to the Jet age of automobiles in the late 50's to early 60's

And Have a vehicle that I can repair myself, inexpensively

AND have one that will hold or INCREASE in value if cared for.

And be cheap to insure. And have no smog regulations

and cost the same to buy as a corolla

[Linked Image]

Maybe i wasn't clear, the hatch SE comes with the 16" wheels. The hatch XSE comes with 18" wheels. But they do seem to be coming out with a special edition based on the SE that will have all black 18" wheels.

Yes Joel, that is correct.
These 2021(yes-2021) were:
Sedan in LE trim. Some w/whl covers, others w/alloy(aluminum-whatever)
Hatches were SE trim. All alloy whls

No XSE or XLE trim in this bunch. They only had about 4 of each style.
I can't remember if the sedans had rear disks however all of the hatches did.

Last edited:
The Corolla was made in Mississippi before, that's not great news. Even the engine and trans I think were made in USA.. Maybe it is just certain models, like the Camry SE was made in Japan initially, while the LE was USA.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
New cars are souless and bore me to tears.

I'm planning on going back to the Jet age of automobiles in the late 50's to early 60's

And Have a vehicle that I can repair myself, inexpensively

AND have one that will hold or INCREASE in value if cared for.

And be cheap to insure. And have no smog regulations

and cost the same to buy as a corolla

[Linked Image]

Can only imagine trying to start, warm up, and drive that land yacht on a cold New Hampshire morn...

Yeah … I'd have to drop a fuel injected engine with a 6 speed auto in that … Nice though …

I believe the hatchback is a rebadged Mazda 3. Everything else you mentioned is Toyota and will work just fine.

Originally Posted by rob1715
I believe the hatchback is a rebadged Mazda 3. Everything else you mentioned is Toyota and will work just fine.

Any info to back that up?
IIRC the hatchback is most/if not all Toyota

Back