New 2012 Impreza or used 2007 WRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Subaru WRX with 39k or a new 2012 impreza (pretty much bare bones impreza)? Both are within the same price but I love to sportier look of the WRX. My only concern is how hard the previous owner may have been on the WRX. It does have an intake and an upgraded exhaust but that seems to be at. Both cars are at a local SUBIE dealer.

I greatly prefer the aesthetics of the WRX but know something can be said for buying new and knowing the history of your car.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

What's your mission with the vehicle? The WRX won't get the fuel economy the '12 Impreza will. It will be a riot to drive, though!

this would be my daily driver. I am replacing my 98 jeep but wanted something with 4wd/awd for the winters here in the midwest. I only work 10 miles from home so mpg isn't the highest on my list.

I like the fun factor but I tend to drive my cars a long time and would like whatever I select to last a good 7-10 years.

You can't really compare the two.

The new Impreza is a standard econo car, with a 148HP engine. It will do everything 'decently' except for winter driving, where it will excel.

The WRX is a high-perfomance sports car basically, with a 227HP (or more) turbo engine. It will be louder, have a harder suspension, and have higher insurance and go through parts faster.

What do you 'want' from a car???

2007 WRX for sure. You'll like the 250+ HP for sure. As for insurance purposes its not that bad really. Most insurance around my neck of the woods only see it as an impreza anyway because thats what it is, an Impreza WRX. Its not a two door anyways. As for gas milage it still get around 25 on the highway on premium which is a factor because the WRX burns premium. As for the neglect. Subies can take the abuse and most who own WRX's usually give it a great diet as its their bread and butter. I really wouldn't worry about MPG as you are coming from a Jeep as I would expect didn't get great mileage anyways.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You can't really compare the two.

Exactly. The 2012 Impreza is an all-new design with an FB series, timing chain equipped 2.0L boxer and Aisin built CVT (if you go automatic).

Prices being the same, it would be a no brainer for me. I'd go new, rather then buy a 5yr old, possibly flogged kid's car.

Joel

If you talking maybe 17-18 grand thats big bucks for a '07 that will need t belt, waterpump, turbo (most likely) and other major maint at 60-80K all out of your pocket. They have good resale as ALL the kids want 'em. If it drive great and has dizzying power teh wrx may be it. Proceed carefully as Kids screw with them and hurt the tune on the motors messing with plugs and intakes and downpipes.

A used turbo car is always a [censored].

Do you know where it's been and how it was driven? Got lots of detailed service records?

Be very cautious. As noted above, it can be abused via electronic tuning in ways that are impossible for you to know.

As a dd, you could argue that with a short commute, gas prices won't manifest themselves as big trouble on your pocket, because either one will use use less than a gallon per day. That said, the new impreza will likely give 50% better MPGs.

Personally, I'm a believer in new all the way, then drive until the wheels fall off. If you can't afford the new wrx, then buy a new (MT) impreza. You want a commuter car to provide zero headaches, last a very long time, and go a long while before needing any work. The new car does that.

Add the winter tire headache to the situation when talking about wrx, if you're looking to maximize performance. Some of us do have high performance cars as DDs, but generally we have more than one car in the dd rotation. I never take the smear tires off my 135i, I just only drive above freezing.

Iirc the impreza is 35 or 36 highway. Not bad. 148hp is plenty for driving.

If you really want a better performing car, either get a new impreza and then save up for another summer car, or keep your jerp a few years and then buy a CPO BMW 328ix, which for 2012 is rated 36 hwy in RWD form, so should give 33 in awd form. Granted it is buying a used car again, but it would be as enjoyable to drive as a wrx, IMO, and more economical too.

I'm concerned about decontenting. 17k for a new awd vehicle that gets miraculous 36 MPG. They either pulled off a miracle or there's something really cheezy on the new impreza that's going to snap.

Then you have to say the same for all manufacturers. CAFE is what it is, and the numbers have to be met.

If awd typically yields a 3 mpg loss, and ford and Hyundai are claiming 40 mpg, why shouldn't 36 be doable in an awd car?

Especially if gear ratios are picked to support it, and the car pushes to a leaner burn without overshooting nox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back