New 2009 F-150 - new oil dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tom slick
The strange twists threads take around here.

+1 it's obvious he likes GMC products. To each his own, I'll stick with my Fords.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Sorry to hear of your Ford truck problems, my luck with them has been completely the opposite, very dependable. I found GMC to be problems for me when I owned them. YMMV, it could also be just luck too.

I agree. As I've mentioned before I have a 2005 Chevy SUV. It's the first GM vehicle I've owned in at least 25 years, and most likely my last!

If your 5.4L is having trouble passing, there is something wrong with it. We've owned THREE Expeditions ('98, 2000 and my 2002) with the 5.4L and all have been excellent, pulling anything from wooden boats to snowmobiles, the former weighing substantially more than your race car.

My Expy has no problem hitting 130Km/h passing somebody in an 80, and it just has 3.55's in the diffs.

I wonder if the vehicle's electrical gremlins that you speak of have affected the engine's power output?

The Modular engines are generally known for bulletproof reliability. Ford Australia currently has a 425HP version (N/A) in the Falcon FPV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
The good ole Ford-vs-GM..Enjoy it while it exist.

So true, and it looks like Ford might just come out of this the winner.
grin2.gif

AD

I would stick with Motorcraft if I were you, it's good oil! Their filters are good, too. Use a full synthetic if you are going to be doing a lot of stop-go driving, idling, and rapid acceleration. You don't have to extend the oci to get the benefit of full synth. 5w20 is fine if that's what your engine calls for.

Also I don't blame you for saying "no Amsoil".

Amsoil 25k mile oil change interval my a$$. most i would run their best oil is 10k, and i could spend less on M1 EP for that. lots of UOA's reflect it's not any good past that in many driving conditions. Plus I tried it and drained it at 11-12k because it was nasty looking. I know it's the dirt trapped in the oil instead of staying on load-bearing surfaces, and I used that EaO filter (probably not as good as a wix), and changed it at 7.5k. So I changed the filter early and it was still black as night less than half the way to 25k. Yeah the oil might have been fine to 25k, but I wasn't gonna risk it. So I paid 2.5X the $$ and got about half the expected drain interval. Not impressed at all. Oil can be recycled anyway, so saying it's better for the environment is [censored].

thanks for buying a ford, i work at a supplier...at 5k any oil will do really...maybe use m1 once a year to keep engine clean

Stick to the Motorcraft products for your 2009.

I have a 2003 Screw with a 4.6L and just turned 95k on the odometer.

I use the 5W20 Synthetic Blend with the Motorcraft oil filter.

Truck runs great with no oil consumption that I can tell so far.

Best of luck and safe driving...

Jeffreaux

I talked to my fleet manager today about the reliability of the 5.4 and the V-10's. He says he has never had an internal engine problem with any of them. Sure auxillaries have to be occassionally replaced but not a single engine failure. These are trucks that are often loaded to the GVW Rating and used on oilfield roads, idled for heat in the winter in the field and A/C in the desert summer heat. At my area we have a couple of hundred trucks in daily use and none of the Tritons have failed using regular fleet maintenance.

To me that says alot about this engine family.

Originally Posted By: hal
I would stick with Motorcraft if I were you, it's good oil! Their filters are good, too. Use a full synthetic if you are going to be doing a lot of stop-go driving, idling, and rapid acceleration. You don't have to extend the oci to get the benefit of full synth. 5w20 is fine if that's what your engine calls for.

Also I don't blame you for saying "no Amsoil".

Amsoil 25k mile oil change interval my a$$. most i would run their best oil is 10k, and i could spend less on M1 EP for that. lots of UOA's reflect it's not any good past that in many driving conditions. Plus I tried it and drained it at 11-12k because it was nasty looking. I know it's the dirt trapped in the oil instead of staying on load-bearing surfaces, and I used that EaO filter (probably not as good as a wix), and changed it at 7.5k. So I changed the filter early and it was still black as night less than half the way to 25k. Yeah the oil might have been fine to 25k, but I wasn't gonna risk it. So I paid 2.5X the $$ and got about half the expected drain interval. Not impressed at all. Oil can be recycled anyway, so saying it's better for the environment is [censored].

No UOA to back up your opinion
35.gif

your first use of AMSOIL in a engine that has who knows how many miles of varnish sludge from mineral oil?
it is your own decision to change a filter out less than half of the milage it is recommended to use.
if you dont follow oil/filter manufacture directions how can you justify your opinion of the product on your inital use?
21.gif

it takes years for some people to quit a smoking habit and it takes one minute for others
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
I talked to my fleet manager today about the reliability of the 5.4 and the V-10's. He says he has never had an internal engine problem with any of them. Sure auxillaries have to be occassionally replaced but not a single engine failure. These are trucks that are often loaded to the GVW Rating and used on oilfield roads, idled for heat in the winter in the field and A/C in the desert summer heat. At my area we have a couple of hundred trucks in daily use and none of the Tritons have failed using regular fleet maintenance.

There's been some change over the years, too. I've talked to fleet people who *did* have some problems with early 5.4s. Chronically high oil consumption was one issue that actually got some widespread press because it happened to private owners. But there was also a less-common issue with cylinder head failure due to cavitation damage in the coolant passages that tended to crop up now and then in fleets.

The same kinda applies to the arguments about whether the 5.4 has any power or not earlier in the thread- Ford found a *[censored]* of a lot more low-end torque in the 5.4 there sometime in the early 2000s. At least it seemed to me that the rental Expeditions I had prior to then were pitiful, but the later ones had amazing power and got even better mileage.

Whatever the case, you'll get *zero* argument from me that the Ford Modular family, whatever its problems in the 90s were, has evolved into an excellent engine family.

You will get rid of the truck before you wear out the engine with any proper rated oil at recommended oil change intervals.

Why is it when someone says anything negative about Amsoil the dealers and their customers feel they need to come out and defend the product?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: foxer
Why is it when someone says anything negative about Amsoil the dealers and their customers feel they need to come out and defend the product?

Yup... and if you say anything bad about Amsoil, it absolutely must be something else's fault (in this case, the "varnish" from mineral oil).

Lazaro - didn't you get the message when I said "shoo, troll"? Do you really need a good ol' fashion GTFO!?

I have to admit to still being on the fence... I checked the oil on my father's 07 F150 5.4 (114K on the clock) which is running M1 5W20 and the level hadn't changed at all since the oil change more than 4K ago, and the oil was still a very nice honey color. Drained out, it's hard to tell if the oil has been used or not.

And, for the requestors, I'll definitely post some pix once the [censored] thing arrives! It'll be a fairly uncommon vehicle - full Ranch Hand front end replacement on the front and an ARE DCU commercial topper on the back. Should be interesting...

Foxer: I was about to ask the same thing. See he's assuming my engine was dirty, and that I was using Mineral oil. lol. It was using M1 before, and with the valve cover off you could basically eat off it. I can tell this guy is assuming I know nothing about cars, same way an underhanded mechanic would.

Amsoil is not what it's cracked up to be by these sheisty salespeople and there are PLENTY of UOA's out there to prove it. I tried it and it's not worth the money and now I am being told I did something wrong by changing the filter early (would not make the oil dirtier) and draining it early? Great justification there. Guy needs to go away. I never said Amsoil is bad oil, chemically I'm sure its excellent. It's just not worth what it costs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hal
Foxer: I was about to ask the same thing. See he's assuming my engine was dirty, and that I was using Mineral oil. lol. It was using M1 before, and with the valve cover off you could basically eat off it. I can tell this guy is assuming I know nothing about cars, same way an underhanded mechanic would.

Amsoil is not what it's cracked up to be by these sheisty salespeople and there are PLENTY of UOA's out there to prove it. I tried it and it's not worth the money and now I am being told I did something wrong by changing the filter early (would not make the oil dirtier) and draining it early? Great justification there. Guy needs to go away. I never said Amsoil is bad oil, chemically I'm sure its excellent. It's just not worth what it costs.
to the OP
06.gif
I post all I want within the rules.
Hal you dont leave much info so I have to guess and since I hit a nerve with you I bet Im close, I hope this is not the vehicle you are talking about,that would be a wee bit silly on your part
35.gif
>>>> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...944#Post1445944

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back