Never used Amalie, is the 75w90 good?

2005 Tahoe Z71, GM 8.5 10-bolt with G80 locker. Need to replace wheel seals, have an axle leaking.

Manual calls for 75w90 Full Synthetic. Came across this Amalie on Amazon, decent price. Never used any of their products.

Should be fine on a 300k mill, yeah?

Thanks.

Attachments

• F44E5086-106D-4A3F-B736-1F96406E7286.jpg
    F44E5086-106D-4A3F-B736-1F96406E7286.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 43
It's as good as any other 75w90 synthetic GL5

If your differential cover doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket cover that has one. For your 8.5, you can get one at a fair price. Unfortunately, the 7.5 covers with a drain plug are way overpriced (over $100 each)

Great thanks y’all. Just did an Amazon order for the gear oil, some National wheel seals, some new cover bolts, black RTV and a FelPro cover gasket.

I changed the fluid and put a new Dorman cover on months ago so that’s in decent shape. I had good lick with the gasket and a light coat of RTV on both sides. Didn’t drip any. I don’t know if it’s overkill but it has worked good.

Amalie has been around since the beginning of time. Not sure who owned the name today but I'm sure it's fine
Amalie is on its third owner since it was an independent Pennsylvania oil company. They're now a privately held blending and packaging company in Florida. Other than the name, logos, and slogans, nothing ties them to those roots.
But they sell a decent amount of product, so if you can get a deal on it, use it.

I have used Amalie branded universal ATF in my Honda and it worked as well as any others. They are big and produce a lot of private label stuff (including Fram oils at Adv Auto), and I would not hesitate to use any of their products.

Last edited:
Why? You leave a bunch of crud on the bottom of the case if you don't take the cover off.

Other manufacturers provide drain plugs for their differentials, so clearly that's not the reason :rolleyes: :poop:

Most differential drain plugs have a magnet. And even if you still want to remove the cover, it's less messy if you can drain it with drain plug first :)

are the Elixir Full synthetic GL-5 75W-90 and the Hypoid Gear MP 75W 90 (80W 90) safe for non-ferrous metal of synchronizer rings?
I mean the possibility of use in manual transmission where GL-4 should be applied. PDS on the Amalie's website for gear lubricants have not been updated since 2014.

Just a follow up here -- the Amalie 75W90 has been in the 10-bolt rear diff of my 300k, 2005 Tahoe for a couple weeks now without any noticeable difference.

Good lube for the price, for sure!

Just used that gear oil on my 03 astro van have 230k on the open rear end 3 rd change first two moble 1.
purchased from amazon for the price and full synthetic with the correct ratings. Drain oil was as clean as new. Pulled rear cover and new gasket.

Last edited:
I've used their fluids for a long time. No issues, priced right, good stuff IMO. And they are ''certified'' oils not ''qualified''.

Back