Never changing oil - Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, Everyone... Lets hear all the true stories about people you know that have never changed their oil or have severely pushed the limits.

How long did the engines last and what type of car / oil if possible.

All this various "He never changed the oil" got me thinking, and I want to see how many stories are out there from fellow BITOG-ers!

POST AWAY!

I will go first...

My aunt had a Ford Contour and drove it on Factory Fill until it died at 68K KM. I don't know if it would have kept running if topped up regularly, because the oil was all gone when the engine seized.

The oil pan plug was caked on and would hardly budge.

shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I will go first...

My aunt had a Ford Contour and drove it on Factory Fill until it died at 68K KM. I don't know if it would have kept running if topped up regularly, because the oil was all gone when the engine seized.

The oil pan plug was caked on and would hardly budge.

shocked2.gif

shocked2.gif

Well, I have one brother who bought a new Tercel back in the early 1980s. never changed the oil. He doesn't remember how far he went. But the frame cracked before the motor....

Another was having the timing belt replaced on his Bobcat, then called the mechanic and told him not to put it back together. (Got it into his head that not only did he have to pay to remove it, it would be more money to put it back.) He's gotten much smarter since then. That was his first car and all.

He had a neighbor who added oil every time the oil light went on. One day, it wouldn't start. The engine was drowning in oil. (Faulty oil light.)

I just added the last two for laughs. (Not funny way back then, but..)

Originally Posted By: Trajan
He had a neighbor who added oil every time the oil light went on. One day, it wouldn't start. The engine was drowning in oil...

That's awesome! Maybe he should think with his dipstick.

So far, a guy at my wifes work has about 30K miles and two years on what I understand is the factory fill. I'll keep you posted. The clock is ticking.
(Oh yeah, he's been told a number of times. This is all on him.)

Originally Posted By: river_rat
So far, a guy at my wifes work has about 30K miles and two years on what I understand is the factory fill. I'll keep you posted. The clock is ticking.
20.gif

this might not apply but it's an oil change horror story.

when i was in high school or so, i was in charge of maintaining all the cars in our family. we had an old mercedes 240D that needed to be oil changed. dad gave me money to change it and instead tried to do it myself. you know how motor oil turns pure black on a diesel...well, it spilled all over the inclined driveway. how u say? well i put the oil bucket directly under the drain plug and as soon as the oil started draining..i couldnt push it forward to catch the oil bec the bottom of the car was in the way. the oil bucket was too tall! i forget where the drain plug was..i learned my lesson to NEVER put the oil bucket directly under the drain plug because oil always drains a little forward from the drain hole! all this so i can pocket $20 or so.

so i had a huge/black oil spill on my inclined driveway. u know how i removed it...my friend recommended muriatic acid. if uve ever smelled this stuff...it smells so bad that 3 neighbors down can smell it. so muriatic acid on my driveway trying to eat away at my oil spill. it not only ate away the oil but it ate away the driveway cuz the driveway wasnt smooth anymore.

u know what's funny...up to this day...i dont remember if i completed the oil change cuz it was such a shock to my system because of the mess i made

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
u know what's funny...up to this day...i dont remember if i completed the oil change cuz it was such a shock to my system because of the mess i made

You must have, otherwise you'd be telling us about the 240D that seized...

1976 Subaru DL - my mom's - during my teenage years and early college (circa 1978-1981) - I have no memories of us chging the oil - though I'm sure we did occasionally - we would drive from Fayetteville AR to Oklahoma City for holidays - my grandpa would invariable say - let's go chk the oil in your car - on one occasion there was a small drop on the dipstick, another time it was bone dry. It died in the early 80's - mechanic said it had better compression than a new engine - which was a bad sign. Died soon after that.

My dad drove a 1971 pinto 2 miles from home with no oil in it to drop off the oil he drained. I think rather he did fill it but never put the fill plug back in. Anyway he discovered the oil in the parking lot, bought a plug and more oil, and drove the car many more years. Lima 2.0/2.3/2.5 GREAT engines.

This was before "prolong" BTW :)

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I'd wager it's
57.gif
soon, and not too long after that:
15.gif

My parents are like that. They went to TX for winter, and left the '04 buick sitting in the garage. I went over one day to change the oil in my Impala (not permitted in our park) and decided to look at the oil in their car. Looked as black as soot, and likely not changed for close to about 8 months. I'm in the 3 month three thousand mile club.

I have three filters in my cabinet there and a few quarts of 5w30 left over, so I went ahead and changed it. The tires on that car are probably OEMs as they are Generals, and close to the wear bars on all four. what do I get when I mention it? "We don't go that far, so they're fine." "I just hope not in the rain." I tell them.
18.gif

I have a neighbor who was having problems with his lawn mower the other day. I offered to help get it started for him, he's a nice guy. Turns out he had a landscaper for the last 2+ years, and decided the other day he was going to do it himself again.

This mower was about 10 years old, the gas was 2+ years old and rotten. The oil black as tar, and low. I sucked out the gas, and got it running, asked him when he changed the oil last, he said he doesn't remember changing the oil, he always mixes it with the gas. This guy thought he had a 2 cycle Lawnboy mower.

He treats his daily driver, to oil changes every 2 years, it is driven about 1500 miles a year so 2 years = 3000 miles. OUCH, Jiffy lube dino oil, 90% of his trips are less than 1 mile a few times a day. OUCH!

Former co-worker had a nice blue Dodge he would drive to work, to the grocery store and to take his kids to the park. All in-town driving and never out on the highway.

He seemed positively proud announcing at work that he never changed the oil and that the one time he opened the cap on the valve cover there was jelly in there. He seemed to have the notion these were good things.

Fast forward 2 years when the car refuses to carry on under these conditions. He calls the wrecking yard to tow away the car... ah yes the best decision yet... and to this day has never owned another vehicle. He figures they are nothing but trouble and a money pit. In some ways.. he is actually right.
LOL.gif

I used to work at a Chevy dealership, the local Army base brought in a full size Chevy Express van. They complained that the engine made noise and now wouldn't run. It turns out the van had over 30k on it and still had the factory fill oil and original filter. I think they never even checked the oil until it was to late, the bottom end was spanked. I new engine, at our taxpayer dollar!
Warranty was voided due to lack of maintenance.

I work with a girl. Bought a 2005 Mustang. Traded it in with 56k on it. Told me she never changed the oil. Yikes!

A guy at work had a 75 Chevy that was a going to and from work car only. From 93 to about 99 he took my 10,000 mile used M1 oil and topped off the Chevy only changing the filter once a year. He drove 38 miles round trip a day to work and when he sold it the engine still ran great and was very quite. In the six years he did that the drain plug never came out. It was funny, when he needed oil from me he said "got any Mobil 2.

I recall a pic on this forum from years ago, of a 4.3 chevy? Motor with 190,000 miles on nothing but top-ups and filter changes? Under valve covers packed with jelly? Anyone remember?

Worked at a multi car luxury dealer before, one customer came in with 56k on an infinit qx4, factory fill. I think they expected the blown engine to be changed under warranty! Also some dunce that worked there had an expedition, changed the oil 10 to 15k with jiffy lube semi synth... never added oil. Motor developed serious knock, mechanic drained out a coffee cup worth of tar.

I had a teacher in HS who had a chevette and didn't change the oil for 50K miles.

I used Mobil2 drained from my car as a top off in an old work van. I figured used synthetic was better than new conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back