Never changing oil - Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a few years ago, 2002-ish, 146K miles at the time. we had a 1989 Cougar 3.8L, and from 2002-2005, the oil was not changed, and the filter started to leak.. It went maybe around 20K miles a year. This car lasted 197K miles, BUT it did die because of all the rust, The floor, trunk, rockers, all gone. This engine also burned oil, So It would not even be checked, and we would go by engine sound, after a 5K miles, we would need to add 2 QTS...

Last edited:
I had a customer drive 18K miles on dino oil.

This was in an SUV (XC90) T6 (Twin turbo inline six).

It destroyed the turbos. It was also the thing that pushed me over the edge at that particular dealership and caused me to leave.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Mobil 2 story is the funniest I've heard so far. But it's also fascinating.

Maybe he couldn't afford Mobil 1.

John

I forgot to add the story of my aunt in Ottawa who drove her Sunfire on GM Goodwrench oil 30K KM by accident (normally changed at 5K miles). She took it to the dealer, had it drained and refilled with synthetic as per their recommendation to help clean things up... and the car is still operating to this day without any engine damage as far as we can tell.
shocked2.gif

A buddy of mine leased a Honda Element it was a 4 year lease he put just under 50k on it. All he did was check the oil I don't even know if he added oil. It used to drive me nuts. I am a die hard 3 month or 3000. I will never change

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Who buys something like an XC90 and then skimps on oil changes? That makes no sense!

A lot of people live "in their own world".

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Who buys something like an XC90 and then skimps on oil changes? That makes no sense!
I imagine that most people who lease such cars treat them this way. To me that's one reason why I would never consider buying a used car with a turbo, unless I could be provided with detailed documentation of maintenance.

My father-in-law's neighbor bought a 73 Mercury wagon. I huge thing. Gloss black... like a hearse or Mafia Command Car. (Well the guy looked like a member of the family... carried a violin case too. For his violin of course...)

He thought OCs were needless expense. About 9 months on the road and the 'beast' died in a cloud of blue smoke on the Capitol Beltway one 100 degree afternoon. The 'oil' was like bunker fuel ... black and in big globs. The motor a total loss .. suitable for use as a boat anchor, door stops, or cement boots.

A friend of mine used to be a service advisor at a Chevy dealer and he was telling me that at least once every couple of months he would get someone come in with a 2 or 3 year old car that had a seized engine, and that the oil had never been changed. He told me that most of the engines had between 60,000 and 70,000 km on them at the time they seized. Obviously none of them were able to make successful warranty claims! It baffles me that people would think they don't need to change their oil ever!

My brother had a 92' Ford F150 w/ the 302. He got it with 200K miles. He sold it at 252K miles, ZERO oil/filter changes. When the truck started knocking, he would add a quart of oil and keep driving.

The truck ran good and strong actually, 302's are bulletproof! He sold it, and got a POS 88' Firebird.

He also jumped, yes JUMPED the truck usually getting 3-5 feet of air, only broke one I-Beam. He could not kill that pickup.

I owned a 1983 Chevy Monte Carlo. I purchased it used in 1990, with the help of my parents. I was 16. It had 110k miles on it when I bought it, and it smoked BADLY. It burned oil at the rate of at least 1 qt./week. I never changed the oil in it. I topped the oil off when it was low. I drove it until 190k miles, when I traded it.

just this week i gave 4.5 qts of oil to one of my chronically broke coworkers not knowing he hadnt changed oil in his 93 geo prizm yet haha (since he bought it 25k ago and who knows how long it went before that)...i was going to tell him oil could 7k but i guess that was least of his worries...he adds a qt every 4k or so...we have a plant shutdown this week so maybe this is the "week" of OC...and here i am thinking of putting in M1 after 4500k on qs regular..believe me he isnt only one i know with a older car who just adds oil forever

my dad had 1980 f100 and for the most part just added oil and engine always ran good, for some reason....engine never died either

Originally Posted By: Patman
It baffles me that people would think they don't need to change their oil ever!

Wouldn't you think they would drive by an Iffy Lube, Goodyear with a "$19.95 oil change" sign, etc. and think, gee, maybe I need to do that?
banana2.gif

John

Its such an afterthought for many of the typical morons. People supposedly smart enough to get college degrees, good paying jobs to buy things like volvo xc90s, but then not change the oil! Too busy, dont care, blah blah. Proof a college degree means little, as I meet total morons on the daily who have degrees :)

My old mans Toyota 1978 Ute. 2 oil changes in that time up until 2005, minor top ups, alot of short trips, stop start peak hour and some interstate. Used to service gear box, points, brakes and plugs himself. As a builder and solid plasterer, used to tow a trailer minimum 6 days a week with sand, tools in tray, mixer and cement bags. Only reason he got rid of it was my cousin was meant to spray paint it so he stripped it. In the process of moving houses, didn't have time to re assemble properly, wreckers actually shook their heads as he drove it no dramas to get pressed. Changes oil for 1st time is 5 years in his 1996 Toyota hilux, oil came out like tar, some was crusty, some very thin, but runs like a Gem. 230,000k's.

This is why i trust Toyota engines. If it was my GM 3.8 it would have died very early in the piece. I try to get him to change regularly now, but its hard to convince him he needs to
wink.gif

I got a good story too.

A girl I used to work with started up her "new" used car as we were all leaving one night. As soon as it fired up,I heard a loud metallic knocking. I told here to cut off the engine so I could check the oil...........dipstick dry! I had a quart in my trunk (I always keep a quart of oil,water,tools,etc in my car) and I put it in her engine. She started it up and it purred like a kitten! She was really down on her luck $$ wise,so I told her next time she came over to hang out,I had a jug of oil (Mobil 1 10W40 HM)I`d give her under the condition that she would either keep it full,or get it changed. I gave her the oil.

Long story short,she calls me at work one day. She said her engine locked up while she was driving,wouldn`t re-start,and she was stranded on the side of the road. Where oh where was that jug of Mobil 1 I gave her? In her trunk UNOPENED!!!!!!!!........and the diagnosis of her seized engine? NO OIL! Good freakin lord!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back