Neutral saftey switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 1995 Saab 900se 2.5 v-6 automatic. Has the chck gear box warning light come on on the display screen. The transmission will only run in 3rd gear and reverse. no 1st 2nd, no kick down. The saab forums advise to replace the neutral saftey switch on the transmission it is connected with a cable from the shift lever inside the car. I installed a brand new neutral saftey switch. the same warning light is on and the transmission will not down shift it stays in 3rd or reverse. it is so bad I had to back up the drive way in reverse as it would not pull ythe slight grade in the ony forward gear i have third. Any ideas guys thanks
frown.gif

What mileage, maintenance history?
Have you ever change the fluid, filter?

Assuming ATF is full, it sounds like a blown transmission. If you're lucky, it could be electrical like bad solenoid, speed sensor, connection, harness....
You'll need to reference the factory service manual for debug of electrical issues.
Driving it in this condition will only add to the internal destruction. Do NOT drive this vehicle with only one forward gear!

The car has 54,000 miles and the ATF was just changed when this started. It was intermitten at frist then it was on all the time. it drove great a few days ago.

This started as soon as you had the transmission serviced? *Hopefully* the tranny is just stuck in "limp home" mode. Try disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes or so and then reconnecting it and see what happens. SOme trannys are sensitive to air in the system. This can happen when you drain and refill the ATF. As always check for proper fluid level. Report back.

Can you read any error codes out of the thing? Does this vehicle have AWD? Maybe one of the vehicle speed sensors has gone bad, (if it's AWD it probably has two). Otherwise you need to find out somehow what error code or whatever the thing is reporting.

I maniac: I tryed diconnecting the battery. let it sit re tryed. same thing check gear box light still on. tryed going from neutral to drive back and forth nothing. One guy said check reset by throttle body? what ever that means. fluid is fine. Im stumped!

Up Date Ive been told proper alignment of the neutral saftey switch is very important. It mounts with bolts but the bolt holes are slotted so im hoping I can tweak it a bit and hit the correct spot where every thing is right. I was also told when the switch is correct the computer will re-set it self. simply amazing to a old school dog like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back