Networking - PS4 to Phone LTE (WIRED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have an unusual one for ya, and it's LONG! I am looking to use my PS4 on my phone's LTE via tether/hotspot. I'm not looking for opinions on the network, plan, data caps, throttling, or why I should use something else. I have my reasons and have done ridiculously extensive research to determine that this is the right move for me.

What am I after then? I am after a way to take an Android phone and make my PS4 connect to the phone's internet connection WITHOUT using Bluetooth or a wireless hotspot. That's right, I'm looking for a hardwired connection. To be more specific, in addition to a wired connection, I also need a way to charge the phone simultaneously as well.

***NOTE - I do NOT own a PC or laptop***
This makes it even harder, I know.

Now, I've already thought of 3 possible ways to do this, however, I'm unsure if they actually exist...

Thought 1-
Use some sort of 'On the Go' splitter cable. One that is male micro USB that connects to the phone on one end and on the other end splits into two cables, one female micro USB (for charging) and the other a male ethernet cable to connect to either the PS4 or a router. Again, no idea if this exists or is even possible.

Thought 2-
Use a micro USB to ethernet adapter, but I would need a router that could supply POE (or any other way to charge at the same time). I doubt this is possible...

Thought 3-
Find a router that supplies power AND recognizes the phone as a modem both via USB (meaning the USB is the 'input' for the internet and output for power, and it transmits that data like a normal router setup). I think this is the most logical idea, however I am a noob and this would have to be fairly simple plug and play. I've heard of flashing some nonsense about WRT and some program called tomato. I wouldn't know the difference from it or a real tomato. Plus, said router would have to be at/under $100 to justify itself versus just using the simple hotspot. Maybe someone knows what I'm actually referring to
21.gif
. But maybe this isn't possible under $100 (or at all).

Why this need? For starters, the phone will be on 24/7 as a home ISP modem (hotspot), so it needs to stay charged (and I'm aware of probable battery issues related). But the biggest reason? I want a hardwired setup for latency purposes. (WAIT. I know... I'm crazy. The difference is almost non-existent. Just use it wirelessly. Simple! Yes, that may be what I HAVE TO do, but I wish to not add any unnecessary latency, therefore making the LTE network the weakest link. I understand if you think I'm nuts, but I still wish to be hardwired.)

I really hope this novel (sorry!) makes sense and I sincerely appreciate any input you have. Maybe someone knows a way I didn't even think of? Huge thanks in advance!

A powered mini usb hub may do the trick to charge and also support a compatible USB to ethernet adapter.

The key thing is your phone has to support USB-otg or you buy one that does. Basically a standard that phone can be a USB host.

I know you said you're looking for a way to do this with your phone, but I don't know that it can be done that way. These sort of devices are used quite often in rural situation where a network hard wired connection is needed. Perhaps this will work for you too.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/4G-AC55U/

I would be willing to bet this device would also have a lot lower latency than you would achieve via your phone and some sort of adaptor because it will have a better LTE radio in it that is designed for data. Compare the speed/latency you get out of a MiFi to what you get out of your phone. Same concept, dedicated device.

Last edited:
I know how to do this on the enterprise side of things, but not for home use, maybe this will spark an idea for you.

We did one at a remote location with a cisco router and poe switch to provide internet connection to the whole building.

Actually the outcome was good, we replaced a t1 line with a 20mb/20mb connection, via a 90 foot antenna on top of the building.

Cisco sells modules for their routers that hold a SIM card inside the router. Also there is a coaxial bnc type connection for a building antenna.

Reliability has been good, and we have quite a few POE devices on the switch also.

Did you google this? "Tether phone to router via USB"? It looks like you'll need an Asus router if you aren't willing to try dd-wrt.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
A powered mini usb hub may do the trick to charge and also support a compatible USB to ethernet adapter.

The key thing is your phone has to support USB-otg or you buy one that does. Basically a standard that phone can be a USB host.
My phone is capable of using OTG cables. So what you're saying is buy a powered USB hub, and use the host port of the hub on the phone. Then use one of the ports as an output for a USB-->Ethernet adapter, then connect an ethernet cord to my PS4? Would that actually work? For some reason I'm doubtful it would be that easy. Here's a visual of how I imagine your proposed setup:

Power
Outlet
|
HUB>USBtoMicroUSBAdapter>Phone
|
USB-A (Male)
|to|
Ethernet adapter
|
| |
PS4

Let me know if I went wrong anywhere, or if this will actually work. Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: W9HDG
I know you said you're looking for a way to do this with your phone, but I don't know that it can be done that way. These sort of devices are used quite often in rural situation where a network hard wired connection is needed. Perhaps this will work for you too.

https://www.asus.com/Networking/4G-AC55U/

I would be willing to bet this device would also have a lot lower latency than you would achieve via your phone and some sort of adaptor because it will have a better LTE radio in it that is designed for data. Compare the speed/latency you get out of a MiFi to what you get out of your phone. Same concept, dedicated device.
So you hit the nail on the head... Rural area with no better option than LTE here. Great idea with that router, kudos. Unfortunately, there are two flaws. One, it's apparently hard to find. Where I can find it online, it seems scalpers have the last of them (or are those really $300+?). Two, unfortunately, with the plan I will be taking advantage of (somewhat against the ToS, yet able to 'cya'), I am forced to use a phone as the receiver. No other option will work, because if I use another device, I will be fully non-compliant with ToS. ToS states that majority of LTE usage must be on the phone (meaning total tethering/hotspot data MUST be less than total on-device data).

So while you gave an A+ suggestion, it unfortunately doesn't work in my particular case. Sincere thanks for trying though!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I know how to do this on the enterprise side of things, but not for home use, maybe this will spark an idea for you.

We did one at a remote location with a cisco router and poe switch to provide internet connection to the whole building.

Actually the outcome was good, we replaced a t1 line with a 20mb/20mb connection, via a 90 foot antenna on top of the building.

Cisco sells modules for their routers that hold a SIM card inside the router. Also there is a coaxial bnc type connection for a building antenna.

Reliability has been good, and we have quite a few POE devices on the switch also.

I think some of that went over my head. I hate being a networking noob
33.gif
. I'm confused about what you meant by coaxial bnc type connection. Please elaborate?

But more importantly, you did spark an idea (maybe pointless/futile/incompatible, but works in my head darn it!). You mentioned POE. Maybe I'm an idiot, but wouldn't a POE switch like this one be my elusive answer? If my inner noob isn't shining through, I could plug the POE hub into the wall, buy a Micro USB to Ethernet adapter, connect the phone to the hub via the adapter and an ethernet cable, then plug the PS4 into the hub via an ethernet cable and VOILA!

I seriously hope that works. But let me know if not... Also if it does work, is there a better POE hub/switch than the one I linked? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Did you google this? "Tether phone to router via USB"? It looks like you'll need an Asus router if you aren't willing to try dd-wrt.

***HOLY FRICKIN' CANNOLI***

At first, I thought this was a smart-a.. remark. Then I REALLY gave this some thought and realized you are actually right (and that I've already done said search EXCEPT the "router" part). This may in fact be the simplest answer. I've seen Asus plastered all over the net, but always with firmware flashing, tomato, or similar involved. But some are ACTUALLY plug and play! I did some hunting and the cheapest (useful) Asus router I can get locally is this one. I can snag it for $76. According to Asus (in the link): "Multi-purpose USB 2.0 port allow printer, hard drive and 3G/4G sharing." Surely this means plug and play support for tethering a phone directly to this router via USB and using it's LTE internet connection, right?!? Perhaps someone can chime in and prove/disprove this router's compatibility?

Ok, I need some sleep. But if tomorrow I realize this is truly accurate, dude, kudos and thanks x1,000,000,000 is in order...

Edit: Will connecting to the router via USB charge the phone?

Last edited:
Just to update this thread, I have spent many hours on the phone with Asus since my last post. According to them, and take this with a grain of salt, the router I linked in my last post (RT-AC1200G) will NOT support 'plug and play' phone tethering. According to them, as a general rule (some exceptions apply), the router MUST have DUAL USB ports to achieve a wired phone connection (also stated a 3.0 port is usually a must). So instead of buying the 1200G, I decided to take a stroll in my local Best Buy just for laughs. I rolled the dice on a Asus RT-AC1900P (Best Buy Exclusive=P) because it had dual usb ports, one was 3.0. Turns out I guessed right! Even though it doesn't say on the box, I found this review online that (I think) proves it (I'll test for myself when I switch mobile networks):

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8192/asus-rt-ac1900p-wireless-router-review/index3.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page where it shows two images side by side. Click the right one. It states "3G/4G- Switch to USB mode to use a 3G/4G wireless dongle or Android phone as a USB modem."

And just my dumb luck
grin2.gif
, I snagged this router for $75.99 without any special discount. That was the price on the shelf. Turns out this is currently $175+ online (even at BestBuy.com
21.gif
), and reviews suggest this router is equal to/outperforms the Netgear Nighthawk R7000. Very, very happy camper here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back