'Net Neutrality'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: pbm

The president and his party seem to favor it so I researched it and have decided that I oppose it.

PS: Let's not turn this political but rather keep it factual.

33.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Quote of the day, maybe even a week.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Nick R

"Want to watch netflix or shop at amazon? Well if you don't want to receive it at dial up speeds, you have to pay an extra $10/mo on top of the $60 you already pay us!"

Post where an ISP was doing this?

You should see all the media buys for drive-time radio spots here in the DC area.

"Want to watch netflix or shop at amazon? Well if you don't want to receive it at dial up speeds, you have to pay an extra $10/mo on top of the $60 you already pay us!"

Post where an ISP was doing this?

That is the whole point. They currently AREN'T doing this, because until this time last year, we HAD net neutrality laws, that were overturned in court. The FCC lost against Verizon (guess they dont' have a stake in this fight after all) because the courts said that the FCC didn't have the authority to put regulations against ISPs unless they were Title II. In other words, if the ISPs could be regulated under Title II, those net neutrality laws could be put back into effect.

Because if we DON'T have net neutrality, ISPs will be more than happy, and are ready and able to do this exact thing. Some already do, sort of. Comcast already makes sure that it's in house video streaming works better than netflix. And they also don't count towards your data cap if you are on comcast. Netflix does. That is the first step towards them charging extra for things you want to do. Do you seriously think your ISP cares about their customers? They don't. The only thing they care about is posting even more obscene profits. The downside of no regulation is that evenetually companies start taking advantage of customers. Especially in an industry where there is no competitition, that is extremely bad for consumers.

Originally Posted By: redhat
This is a very interesting time for broadband internet service here in the US.

Opposition of NN: companies will no longer see the reason to, or have the desire to innovate, create new technologies

In Favor of NN: the internet will be regulated and there will be no super-highways or tolls for bandwidth intense multimedia and/or any sites so deemed exclusive on an access/connectivity level

I am torn between this. In one hand, I am not sure that government regulations upon these telecoms would be the "end-all-be-all" happy go lucky everything's peachy merriment we are all so presented with.

On the other side of the coin, if I pay my monthly ISP bill, I should be able to access the internet with my potential bandwidth speeds; and of course I understand routing, hops, network congestion, etc.

Perhaps this idea, while probably incredibly crazy, would work very well in a company's favor. What's if one of the telecom giants supported net neutrality. They would look like a hero. Perhaps American consumers could voice their opinions with their dollars that they find a lot of value, even if the rated bandwidth isn't as high or prices aren't as low, in doing business/having service from a company with ethics and morals.

The funny thing is that the phone companies and wireless telcoos have been under Title II for decades, but they don't control who we can and can't call or talk to, do they?

Everyone buys into these catchy names. This "net neutrality" ruing will make the net neutral about like the Affordable Care Act lowered medical care costs.

Good analogy...the ACA has made healthcare more expensive and we were LIED to inorder to pass it....why wouldn't I be skeptical...

What does Al Gore think...after all he invented the internet before becoming extremely rich from 'global warming'... er....I mean 'climate change'....

Netflix should be paying the ISPs to help speed up their content. Their extremely network taxing service is only possible because of ISP investment. Has nothing to do with "neutrality" and the end user.

if that means that I pay a little bit more every year so that everyone can have access to the internet, so be it.

You want to pay? Be my guest, nobody is stopping you, give some bum charity and pay their internet bill.
Personally i don't give a rats rear if they use smoke signals and carrier pigeons, i ain't paying for them. This is just another way of getting in my pocket and i resent it, i pay enough already.

Netflix should be paying the ISPs to help speed up their content. Their extremely network taxing service is only possible because of ISP investment. Has nothing to do with "neutrality" and the end user.

On the other hand, TW, Verizon, Comcast could upgrade their networks to support Netflix without going broke ... or even realizing much cost.

if the comcast, ATT, Timewarner, Verizon, and their companies win. there will be data caps put on everyone in this country. if you exceed data caps, I'm sure customers will be seen as a loser customer and be cancelled. or they make the customers pay 50 dollars for each 50 GB you use.

if the Fed Govt can pass a law against this shenigans and not give free internet to the poor. the naysayers will be happy?

I don't think you really understand how this works. WE the customers pay our ISP a fee monthly so they provide us service. It shouldn't matter WHAT I'm using that service for. PERIOD. I expect to get full speed on everything, beceause that is what I pay them for. I don't pay Time Warner Cable $65/mo to only get good speeds from a select few sites and services.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
if the comcast, ATT, Timewarner, Verizon, and their companies win. there will be data caps put on everyone in this country. if you exceed data caps, I'm sure customers will be seen as a loser customer and be cancelled. or they make the customers pay 50 dollars for each 50 GB you use.

if the Fed Govt can pass a law against this shenigans and not give free internet to the poor. the naysayers will be happy?

What's funny is that this is what the FCC is doing now. But all the paranoid ones someone think this is going to result in that. Personally I want the government to give more incentives to municipalities to provide their own low cost fiber service. This has proven extremely cost effective, and great service to the places that have it available.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

On the other hand, TW, Verizon, Comcast could upgrade their networks to support Netflix without going broke ... or even realizing much cost.

This. They make so much profit it's obscene, yet balk when they have to spend money to upgrade or maintain their networks.

Why would they? The faster they make their network the faster they'll need an even faster network. Companies are in business to make themselves money too.

Why would they? The faster they make their network the faster they'll need an even faster network. Companies are in business to make themselves money too.

But they already make obscene profits. It wouldn't even cost them that much, in the grand scheme of things to upgrade. If you think the internet is so unimportant, please get off of it and stop trying to ruin it for those of us who like it.

I don't think you really understand how this works. WE the customers pay our ISP a fee monthly so they provide us service. It shouldn't matter WHAT I'm using that service for. PERIOD. I expect to get full speed on everything, beceause that is what I pay them for. I don't pay Time Warner Cable $65/mo to only get good speeds from a select few sites and services.
The internet works like a gym. If everyone shows up one day there will be problems. Just like if everyone decides to watch an HD movies one night there will be problems. If huge companies which take up significant network capacity want to keep everything running smooth they need to help. Or the ISPs could simple drop everyone's speed. Can't have it both ways.

Anyone against net neutrality must not understand the issue. Do you want your ISP to block sites you can go to? Make you pay extra for access to certain sites? With net neutrality (which is how the internet has worked all along!) all traffic is treated equally and your ISP is just a conduit to get you online.

Just wait until Comcast charges $10/mo to get to BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back