Neighbor's mowing practice - slow engine speeds

My neighbor just bought a new Craftsman lawn mower, and I noticed him mowing in slow motion. I actually thought he was having trouble, so I buzzed over on my 20 year old JD 425 to talk. He informed me that mowers were not supposed to run at the highest speed and that it would prolong it's life by running at only fast enough to cut the grass. Weeeelllllll, heck, color me green, I had no idea :) I explained to him about the governor and how it worked, then explained that his air cooled mower needed full speed (via governed speed) for adequate air flow over the motor to keep it cool, and that slowing down for long periods of time can cause overheating. Well, guess what, he worked a couple years at AutoZone and is a mechanical expert and more or less told me I knew nothing. Well, ok, I don't care how you mow, but my question is, where in the world did this kind of wisdom come from? I've read it hear a few times and just blew it off, but I don't remember anyone trying to tell me to my face. Just for fun, we got into a discussion of oil and he informed me that once you use syn in a motor, you can't go back, (another AZ bit of wisdom?). After most was said and done, I pointed out that my 20 year old JD, has had all kinds of oil in it with little regard for syn or dino, and that in over 20 years of mowing 2 acres and the last 3 or 4 years mowing 5+ acres a week, that it has never mowed a blade of grass at less than full governed speed and it seems to be rolling fine at ~870 ish hours, but I didn't work at AZ so I much be crazy.

I just thought it was funny, and you all could get a good laugh. It's not really any business of mine how he cares for his mower. I will say, he started the conversation after I asked if he was having troubles.

What you said is true.. and the shocking lack of knowledge about air cooled mower is not surprising.

Besides airflow you need full throttle for the correct blade speed.

Most people who dont have a clue act like its a car.. with a transmission and a little gas is more healthy than full throttle.

I have never heard this. But it's his mower. He can do as he pleases. Me, I've got better things to do, so I mow my lawn as quick as I can, and still get a great job. And yea, I've ran everything from B&S straight 30 weight dino to M1 Euro 0W-40. This is it's 16th season, and the engine is still running great. It hasn't sprung any oil leaks. It has plenty of power. I'm happy.

Regarding Autozone employee wisdom, sometimes it takes all I have to keep my mouth shut. Other times I will say something like "Really? I had no idea. That's interesting." But, as I'm walking out to my car, after I think "What a moron!", I often wonder if I had kept my comment from dripping with sarcasm. I don't know. Perhaps after I walk out the door, they say to the others in the store, "What a dumb***."

My neighbor just bought a new Craftsman lawn mower, and I noticed him mowing in slow motion. I actually thought he was having trouble, so I buzzed over on my 20 year old JD 425 to talk. He informed me that mowers were not supposed to run at the highest speed and that it would prolong it's life by running at only fast enough to cut the grass. Weeeelllllll, heck, color me green, I had no idea :) I explained to him about the governor and how it worked, then explained that his air cooled mower needed full speed (via governed speed) for adequate air flow over the motor to keep it cool, and that slowing down for long periods of time can cause overheating. Well, guess what, he worked a couple years at AutoZone and is a mechanical expert and more or less told me I knew nothing. Well, ok, I don't care how you mow, but my question is, where in the world did this kind of wisdom come from? I've read it hear a few times and just blew it off, but I don't remember anyone trying to tell me to my face. Just for fun, we got into a discussion of oil and he informed me that once you use syn in a motor, you can't go back, (another AZ bit of wisdom?). After most was said and done, I pointed out that my 20 year old JD, has had all kinds of oil in it with little regard for syn or dino, and that in over 20 years of mowing 2 acres and the last 3 or 4 years mowing 5+ acres a week, that it has never mowed a blade of grass at less than full governed speed and it seems to be rolling fine at ~870 ish hours, but I didn't work at AZ so I much be crazy.

I just thought it was funny, and you all could get a good laugh. It's not really any business of mine how he cares for his mower. I will say, he started the conversation after I asked if he was having troubles.
Was this is Missouri? Sounds like my grandfather. He putters along for hours on end. They mow nearly 10 acres with residential (42”) big box store mowers. They wear them out about every 2 years.

I have begged him to try a commercial ztr for years and even took my Deere 757 over to try out and he wouldn’t sit on it. He said he didn’t like how fast you had to run the engine…..

They are retired and pretty much mow every day to keep up with it 🤷‍♂️

Most mower engines make max torque and horsepower at WOT. That's generally 3,600 RPM. More engine speed equals more blade tip speed which gives a better cut
All engines make their rated HP and Torque at WOT, but that doesn't mean that they're running WOT all the time. Depending on the grass/ground speed, an engine may rarely see WOT but will pretty much always be running at 3600ish RPM. More simply, max governed RPM isn't the same as WOT

Your neighbor obviously never was around heavy farm or construction equipment. A combine throttle has only two speeds, idle or wide open. Same with heavy earth moving equipment. A lawn mower with hydraulic based transmission or steering units drive must run wide open to provide proper fluid pressure.

An empty can will make the loudest sound.

I see everything under the sun fixing small engines, and it's surprising what even my family and friends believe to be the best way to operate/maintain a piece of equipment. People do all sorts of things because it makes them "feel better". I mean even on this site a lot of us do things like that.

Autozone counter guys always seem to want to share their "knowledge" when nobody asked. It's usually a sign they don't know what they are talking about. Then again I had an older guy tell me in walmart once not to buy Pennzoil because it causes wax to form in the engine, and someone else comment on a Fram filter.

The guy later that day

"gee get a load of this whippersnapper neighbor I've got, a real smart Alec, started tellin me about going slow will overheat the engine since it ain't water cooled with a radiator. But what does he know, i worked as an AutoZone parts counter guy. I'm might as well put down on my resume that I'm a master mechanical engineer because i am and he's wrong"

This is why I converse as little as possible with people.

Back