Neighbor gave me a generator!

Nice gift! It looks like a "Chonda", a Chinese clone of a Honda GX series engine.
I've got a few on various OPE and they have been great engines.
I would concur with using a HDEO 15w40 in a hot climate. I'm in a moderate to cool area of Northern NY, and I have used Amsoil 10w30 small engine oil in mine.
I've got a Predator 6500 (5500 running watts, 6500 surge) with a similar engine, we had a 24 hour power outage over the winter and was able to run my house reasonably well as long as you manage your electric loads.
Was able to run my well pump, 2 fridges and a chest freezer, 50" TV and a bunch of lights.
Just don't run all your higher demand stuff all at once.
Exactly my thoughts too, I can imagine if I cranked everything on I'd exceed the demand pretty quick, but If I'm smart probably more than enough.

Get one of these from Amazon- it will be specific to your breaker box.

It allows you to back feed your whole panel- but is safe because it prevents both line power and generator power from feeding at the same time.

Mine cost $70, which is a lot for what it is but is the easiest way to do it.

1713123846186.jpeg

Last edited:
You must buy a new 30 amp breaker and install it in the correct location - moving any breakers that are in that location.

1713124155707.jpeg

Install the power inlet - I think 30 amp takes 10 gauge wire but check to make sure.

And of course shut your main power off!

1713124111827.jpeg

I think total cost was about $200 and compared to running extension cords all over worth every penny.

5000w wont run a home.. it might not even run an electric dryer.. (on high) or electric hot water heater (5500w)
you also have to balance the circuits. since it has a capacity of 2-21?amp legs for 120v.
so dont run a toaster and a coffee maker on the same side of the generator as the fridge.(at the same time)

IIRC you subtract 240v loads from both legs and 120v loads from a single leg.. and it can make "5000" seem small real fast.

For whole home I wouldnt go smaller than 10k.
5k should be select circuits and you have to be careful what you have on what.

Disclaimer: I'm strictly an amateur. If a pro wants to correct anything I'm all ears.
I have a Honda EG2800i that is rated for 2,500 running 2,800 starting watts so half the size if this unit.

During the Texas "deep freeze" I ran my furnace fan motor, refrigerator, microwave, TV, PC lights and coffee maker. Kept our phones charged. I just can't run anything large like my central air, electric stove or electric dryer.

But like you said I had to be careful about managing the load.

I would run the TV, lights and PC all the time - but would only run the coffee maker, microwave or furnace blower one at a time.

I look at it this way -

I would rather have a smaller generator - and actively manage the power load VS having a big unit that can run whatever whenever.

The main reason is gasoline usage. I don't care about the cost of the gasoline - but when the power is out it is hard to buy.

My unit ran for almost 60 hours straight - only stopping to fill up with gas and change the oil. I was getting 12 hours of run time per gallon of gas. Using just shy of 5 gallons.

My neighbor has a giant unit - he burned though 5 gallons of gas the first day - and then would run his for a while to warm up the house then sit in the dark with no power.

I have a Honda EG2800i that is rated for 2,500 running 2,800 starting watts so half the size if this unit.
That generator is basically "half" of the OP's generator a 120v 20.8amp vs a 240v with 2 legs.
It should run quite abit.. just that you need a reserve for startup load with motors such as well pump, refrigerator etc.
so even if your fridge only draws 4 amps.. when it kicks on with 15amp load already.. yeah might be hard starting time.

FWIW Inverter is esp. efficient at lower and variable loads.
for long more steady loads (5kw load recharging a battery bank etc)
you are almost better off non-inverter.. and 25% oversize.

That generator is basically "half" of the OP's generator a 120v 20.8amp vs a 240v with 2 legs.
It should run quite abit.. just that you need a reserve for startup load with motors such as well pump, refrigerator etc.
so even if your fridge only draws 4 amps.. when it kicks on with 15amp load already.. yeah might be hard starting time.

FWIW Inverter is esp. efficient at lower and variable loads.
for long more steady loads (5kw load recharging a battery bank etc)
you are almost better off non-inverter.. and 25% oversize.

The Honda unit I have has a three prong LP30 receptacle and I use an adapter (splitter) to connect it to my L1430 power cord then to my house.

My first generator that I now use for a backup was a Wen PowerPro 3500 watt non inverter unit that needed the LP14 power cord..

It is rated at 3,000 running watts.

Here is the interesting thing I discovered on 120 volt applications.

The 2500 watt Honda actually has more watts available than the 3,000 watt Wen.

The way the conventional units work is they feed two 120 volt lines so only 1,500 watts 12.5 amps per side.

With the inverter all 2500 watts 20.8 amps can feed one thing.

I don't think the Wen would start up my furnace blower motor because it is 15 amps but the Honda will.

In fact my Honda would in theory be able to run just about anything a 5,000 watt conventional unit would - on 120 volt.

During the Texas "deep freeze" I ran my furnace fan motor, refrigerator, microwave, TV, PC lights and coffee maker. Kept our phones charged. I just can't run anything large like my central air, electric stove or electric dryer.

But like you said I had to be careful about managing the load.

I would run the TV, lights and PC all the time - but would only run the coffee maker, microwave or furnace blower one at a time.

I look at it this way -

I would rather have a smaller generator - and actively manage the power load VS having a big unit that can run whatever whenever.

The main reason is gasoline usage. I don't care about the cost of the gasoline - but when the power is out it is hard to buy.

My unit ran for almost 60 hours straight - only stopping to fill up with gas and change the oil. I was getting 12 hours of run time per gallon of gas. Using just shy of 5 gallons.

My neighbor has a giant unit - he burned though 5 gallons of gas the first day - and then would run his for a while to warm up the house then sit in the dark with no power.
Exactly. My Brothers neighbor had a truck mounted diesel gen that ran both of their houses for 2 weeks last hurricane. $700 in diesel tho.

Get one of these from Amazon- it will be specific to your breaker box.

It allows you to back feed your whole panel- but is safe because it prevents both line power and generator power from feeding at the same time.

Mine cost $70, which is a lot for what it is but is the easiest way to do it.

View attachment 214229
Thank you for mentioning this and all the pics. This is a slick solution.

Looking them up looks like they’re for just about all panels. Just buy the right one. Definitely think this would be great.

Wire something like this in, turn off the breakers you don’t need, don’t be a dummy and go!

Thank you for mentioning this and all the pics. This is a slick solution.

Looking them up looks like they’re for just about all panels. Just buy the right one. Definitely think this would be great.

Wire something like this in, turn off the breakers you don’t need, don’t be a dummy and go!

I ran power cords all over the first time I needed the generator after a hurricane -

What a PITA -

The one thing this does besides making it so easy to distribute power --

The furnace blower motor is not something you can not (realistically / safely) run an extension cord to - so if you want to run your furnace fan you need to back feed your panel or do a much more expensive transfer switch.

replace the spark plug with a name brand one
For sure. I did this before even starting mine. Sure the Chinese made plugs *can*work a long time, but not always... And when you need a new one, you really need a new one, which is why I keep a spare at all times.

For sure. I did this before even starting mine. Sure the Chinese made plugs *can*work a long time, but not always... And when you need a new one, you really need a new one, which is why I keep a spare at all times.
Yep! I have a shelf of plugs. All NGK spares for everything. Sucks when it’s a late Sunday afternoon and your cutting up logs/branches and you need a plug.

Back