Neglected Taurus: Need advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use SuperTech oil from Wal-Mart for 4-5 oil changes until you get the engine cleaned out.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the ARX, substitute a quart of MMO on your first oil change and run it for 1,000 miles. Use a good filter (Wix, Napa, Carquest, etc.)

Do not just bleed the brake fluid. By now it is completely saturated with water. Since it is likely to be the factory fluid, flush the whole system--likely cost if you do it--about $12-$20.

I had a 97 Taurus and agree with the group on the coolant overflow tank problems. Brake fluid replacement would be highly recommended also from first hand experience with old brake fluid boiling on a hot day and shazam, no brakes! But here are my top recommendations for the Taurus: a transmission cooler and Mobil1 ATF. I'm convinced if I had done this for my Taurus I would not have the privilege of buying a rebuilt transmission.

"But here are my top recommendations for the Taurus: a transmission cooler and Mobil1 ATF."

At least do ATF changes. Regular ATF with Lubegard red seems to work for us so far, but I've also been doing full flushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back