Needing decent tool set?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for something to carry in car i have good tools but just want something decent to use in a pinch.I was looking at cresent but saw some stanley sets for 50 60 bucks that seem to fit what i need.Anyone have any recommendations?I have a shed full of high dollar tools but just need something to carry around and dont want to use my sk sets for that.That way if i lose one o well.

I have a basic Stanley set in a plastic case that is my mobile stash that I keep in the Excursion or travel trailer. Think I paid about $30 and has always worked well for me. I just tossed in a few screwdrivers and pliers to round it out a bit so it has all the common "basic" tools I would need for most emergencies.

+1 I have the same stanley tool box. I also keep a 30 inch breaker bar with my car with a 21mm deep socket in case I have to change a flat tire. Put extra adaptors in the tool box just in case I need to use the 1/2 in breaker bar with some 3/8 or 1/4 sockets in the tool kit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
This is what Harbor Freight tool sets were made for.

+1 I keep a tool bag with about everything I'd need to do roadside repairs. A set of box wrenches, a cheap socket set, an interchangeable-tip screwdriver, various pliers, jumper cables, a tow strap, gloves, a knife, shop rags, and a flashlight. There's a lot of "filler" in those box store mechanic sets that you'll really never need.

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
I was looking at harbor freight someone said they have a pro line but i didnt see any in the flyer they sent.

Pittsburgh Professional

Last edited:
Pittsburgh Professional would be my pick, but Cresent is good too, either likely better than current Craftsman stuff and fractions of the price.

I'd also look at Husky from Homedepot and Duralast from Autozone. Those are both good quality and have a nationwide warranty (Although HF is expanding)

Last edited:
I did well at Lowes finding clearance sets, when I happened to go there, and their brand for the most part is made in Taiwan not mainland China. I really like what I bought from them and it was very inexpensive.

I'm a mechanic and I don't carry tools other than a tire pressure gauge, a bike pump, a tiny OBD II bluetooth scan tool and jumper cables.
I always check the tightness of the lug nuts, or wheels bolts in my case after buying a set of tires in case my wife has to change a flat tire which she's capable of.
If I'm far away from home and something like an ignition coil goes out, by conforming with the scan tool, I'll buy a 10MM wrench at the auto part store along with the coil.
There are too many variables.

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
I was looking at harbor freight someone said they have a pro line but i didnt see any in the flyer they sent.
The pro sockets and ratchets are very good. Stay away from HF wrenches. To to Lowes and get Kobalt wrenches.

I build mine from post Xmas/ Fathers day clearances. Stuff like this.

Basic wrenches, sockets, jumper cables, pliers. Duct tape, zip ties.

Imagine if you got in a fender bender and could make it home if only you could get 1/2 the bumper cover off, or support the 1/2 that's dragging. "Alternative lifestyle pliers" are good for plucking those darn plastic pop_rivets out. And you can cut away that fender liner that's rubbing your tire.

Assuming you're aware of the state of tune of your car, it's the surprises you want answers to. So, an OBDII reader, hand wipes, bathroom bucket, wiper blades are all very handy when you're down and out.

Hit your Menards store and buy a set of Masterforce tools. American-made, lifetime warranty. (Yea, I know. They all have a lifetime warranty) Once or twice a year they put them on a good sale. Probably not quite good enough for a professional mechanic, but then nobody will want to steal them either. The sets are sometimes missing an important size, like the 11/16 or an 18 mm, but they are cheap enough that you can buy that missing tool to fully complete your set.

Harbor Freight sells a nice three drawer plastic chest of about everything you could imagine for less than $40.
That said the best tool kit would be the one you just throw together with tape, wire, most common wrench's, tools, vice grips and screw drivers and keep in your trunk in one of the canvas tool bags.

Last edited:
Put together your own. It might be a little more expensive, but you can pick and choose what you want.

My bag has a combo of Knipex pliers, Tekton screwdrivers, Milwaukee M12 Fuel impact wrench, old USA made Craftsman half inch socket set, HF torque wrench, Husky mechanics gloves, etc. It is basically everything I would need in the event of a breakdown (mostly gear toward quick repair of a flat).

Pre-made kits are always missing something I want and have stuff I don't need... I like having something that was made for me, by me.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Put together your own. It might be a little more expensive, but you can pick and choose what you want.

My bag has a combo of Knipex pliers, Tekton screwdrivers, Milwaukee M12 Fuel impact wrench, old USA made Craftsman half inch socket set, HF torque wrench, Husky mechanics gloves, etc. It is basically everything I would need in the event of a breakdown (mostly gear toward quick repair of a flat).

Pre-made kits are always missing something I want and have stuff I don't need... I like having something that was made for me, by me.

Quick repair of a flat.

I know this one....Alex, What is a spare tire?

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

Quick repair of a flat.

I know this one....Alex, What is a spare tire?

Hahaha, well said. If I get a flat on the way to work I don't want to get dirty, so the torque wrench, impact wrench and mechanics gloves are key. Then the spare comes into the picture!

I’ve had good luck with the Kobalt and Husky stuff that I’ve found on clearance. I wouldn’t pay full price for that stuff, but when it’s getting blown out for cheap, I’ll pick it up. Current Craftsman line is junk and I stay away from it. NAPA and Autozone carry tools which give you pretty good bang for your buck and are fine for home use or in a travel set. My own travel box is a mix of old USA made Craftsman and other old tools which became my second or third string tools. Stuff that was too good to get rid of but not as good as my current top tier tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back