Need vehicle w/ 3rd row seat options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellas, looking for options/suggestions for a 2005-ish to 2010 crossover/SUV/wagon, basically anything with seating for at least six. The shortlist we've narrowed down to include:

Chrysler Pacifica (only 07-08 with 4.0L & 6 sp trans) [proving hard to find]
GMC Acadia and it's cousins Saturn Outlook XR/Buick Enclave
Volvo XC90
Acura MDX / Honda Pilot
Land Rover LR3

Interested to see if you guys know of any other models in those years or a $5-7k price range that I haven't listed. Toyota Highlander seats 7 but we've that's out.

I'd like to avoid any vehicle that has a reputation for failing engines/transmissions. For example I keep reading about GMC Acadia (et al) wave plate failure in the transmission for those years, and Honda/Acura MDX's (my Honda Odyssey is one of them) having a high transmission failure rate.

I can work on all my vehicles myself, so reliability in itself isn't a huge deal (nor cost of repairs), but I don't have the time or space to do anything major like a trans swap. I could do it if I had to, but I like odds in my favor.

Would like something reasonably sized for fuel efficiency, but if there is a steal out there, or a model that is way underpriced for what it is, I could go bigger, like a Toyota Sequoia or similar.

Any help/suggestions or experience with any of the above or similar vehicles would sure be appreciated.

The Mazda 5, Kia Rondo, and Ford Transit Connect are also worth considering
smile.gif

If you're brave enough to consider a Land Rover, there's also the Mercedes R-class

Ford Freestyle and Ford Taurus X, or that thing that looks like a park bench... the Ford Flex.

My boss has nearly 200,000 miles on an AWD Freestyle.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
If you're brave enough to consider a Land Rover, there's also the Mercedes R-class

I owned a 2000 LR Discovery (notoriously unreliable, MUCH moreso than the LR3 I'm considering) and while I spent a lot of time wrenching on it, the engine and trans never broke and it was honestly one of the nicest/best driving vehicles I've ever owned. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I should have mentioned this will not be a primary vehicle, so if it breaks I can fix it. Just not interested in doing engine/trans swaps and the like.

Quote:
Have you tried looking for a Kia Sedona? They're cheap and reliable.

We already have a minivan for long distance trips and such where comfort with a lot of passengers comes before "looks." A newer minivan doesn't pass the wife test as a 3rd vehicle. Needs to be something with semi-easy access to a third row without being a minivan unfortunately, because there are a lot of good cheap minivans out there.

Pacifica with a 4.0 V6? Is that the same 4.0 that was in the Routan etc & and used a timing belt? Not sure if that nixes the idea or not for you.

Maybe a Suburban? Not sure if you need in-town mpg or highway mpg, or if the goal is something else. Mazda 5 but watch out for rust, Mazda's seem to have issues with it (wouldn't want to come across a Northern refugee down there).

My Toyota 4Runner has a third row and I think the later years you mentioned have some 3rd row seating....you said you wanted durable/reliable and the 4Runner is tops in that department for SUVs.

Edit: not in every model or trim...

Last edited:
Suburban

Great in every way except when it comes to filling the tank which costs about $150-$170 around here. Should be a bit better over there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

I owned a 2000 LR Discovery (notoriously unreliable, MUCH moreso than the LR3 I'm considering) and while I spent a lot of time wrenching on it, the engine and trans never broke and it was honestly one of the nicest/best driving vehicles I've ever owned. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I should have mentioned this will not be a primary vehicle, so if it breaks I can fix it. Just not interested in doing engine/trans swaps and the like.

There's also the E-class, 2006-2009 E-350 wagon. Unfortunately, the 2006 and early 2007 models had bad balance shafts although that only affected maybe 15-20% of the cars out there. If it had high mileage and you checked it out (lots of youtube videos on how to check it) then maybe you'll get lucky on them. I'd get 2007+ as that avoids the SBC brakes on the 2006. The balance shaft parts aren't that much, just a few hundred, but that would involve pulling the engine to replace them. I think build dates after 9/2006 had the updated part so you'd have to use a vin decoder to see if it's outside the range or not.

Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
I vote for the Suburban,Yukon XL or Yukon Denali.

Agreed. IMO, a FWD platform isn't robust enough to haul around a large vehicle, 7 passengers and their luggage.

Quote:
Pacifica with a 4.0 V6? Is that the same 4.0 that was in the Routan etc & and used a timing belt? Not sure if that nixes the idea or not for you.

It does have a timing belt, but it doesn't bother me unless it's a big engine wedged into a tiny chassis-- My Honda Odyssey, also a SOHC transverse V6 only takes about 2-3 hours and $200 in parts if I change the water pump, belt tensioner, et al at the same time. That kind of engine work doesn't bother me, and at the mileage I'm looking at, the timing belt should have been replaced (I'll definitely look into it before purchasing one) and would be good till 200k or so.

Quote:
My Toyota 4Runner has a third row and I think the later years you mentioned have some 3rd row seating....you said you wanted durable/reliable and the 4Runner is tops in that department for SUVs.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into those.

Suburban would probably please the wife, but I typically dislike ones that are too ubiquitous-- Suburbans/Tahoes/Yukon/etc are everywhere. I'm a sucker for a good deal though, so I'll keep my eye out.

Are you hauling that many people around town, or on trips?

We just got rid of an MDX that we beat the snot out of, nearly 200k miles driven by my careless wife, and the only true problems were the CD player and rear climate control stopped working.

Now onto why I asked about your people-hauling needs.

The third row option in the MDX reminds me of that of the old Explorer (I had a few from the 02-05 generation) and 4Runner, which is an option ideally suited for either very short trips with smaller adults/children, or generally local activities with a small family. There is nearly no cargo space behind the third row when it is deployed in these vehicles. Certainly not enough for luggage beyond an overnight trip.

Without using the third row seat, my observations:

It will nicely seat three adults and their luggage for a weeklong getaway.

You can still ride in comfort with four adults and luggage for a few days' length trip.

It was barely adequate for two adults, one small child, and the requisite items for a short trip two states away to grandma's house.

Not even considerable for two small children and parents plus luggage for even a two-day getaway.

Agree on the Suburban/Tahoe. Keep your eyes out for a 2WD one.

EPA says the Tahoe pulls in substantially better MPG. An 08 2WD 5.3 is rated 20 HWY, FWIW. YMMV.

You seem to want a car substantially different from your minivan, so something truck-based might fit the bill.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Tahoe4Life
I vote for the Suburban,Yukon XL or Yukon Denali.

Agreed. IMO, a FWD platform isn't robust enough to haul around a large vehicle, 7 passengers and their luggage.

I recently did a trip. to Canada with another 2 couples + divorcee in a current Traverse and back in a VW Atlas and both shined including steep hills of NH/VT. The last row of Atlas was more comfy. That all being said the trio you mention are excellent if you can afford the fuel and don't mind the excess bulk when driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back