Need to vent; 02 Avalanche 2500 8.1L crank position sensor

I am at a loss for words. I have been having an intermittent crank no start I don't want to get worse on my 02 Avalanche 2500 that has the 8.1L. I also have a bad oil consumption problem. So I decided to do the intake gasket upgrade with longer bolts as it hadn't been done. Taking the intake off went quick, very easy. And while I had it off decided to put a new crank position sensor in. I know they can be a bear but I figured with the intake off it would be a little easier as it's in the back of the engine. Boy was I wrong. I'm screwed. Two full days messing around with this garbage. Kept twisting and pulling twisting and pulling until of course I broke the top off. Tried all kinds of screws and prybars, nothing. I'm done and defeated, that's a first for me all because of a stupid 6" piece of plastic. My wallet is going to hate me, I'll have to find someone willing to do it and have it towed there. From what I understand it's an engine out ordeal if they don't have better luck pulling it out. I've never seen anything like it, never had this much trouble with what should be a simple part swap. Big problem is it is a super tight fit back there, my hands are all chewed up. I need a drink, thanks for letting me rant a bit.

Take a deep breath and take a break from it for now. Once you settle down, you'll be able to reevaluate and take a different approach with a clear head. Take your time and slowly you'll find a solution. Good luck! YOU GOT THIS!

Looks to me like the only thing holding it in a one bolt and an o-ring. If you broke the top part off, all you got to do is grab ahold of it good enough for the o-ring to let go. The whole thing is plastic. If worse comes to worse, thread a lag bolt into it and grab the lag bolt with vise-grips and yank the thing out.

I did my '03 Burb 2500 years ago. Topside creeper and inspection cam made it easier. It didn't fight me much, though. I understand sometimes components fight you more on one job or the next.

After my rant I think I have another idea to try. Going to go to town tomorrow to buy a right angle drill. I have some long drill bits about the right size. I'll drill down maybe half way or a little more, blow the hole out, fill it with pb blaster, and let it sit a minute. Screw in a long screw and try pry up again. I'm hoping drilling out will relieve some pressure. If successful I have some ground straps to replace. I've really been rooting around back there.

Looks to me like the only thing holding it in a one bolt and an o-ring. If you broke the top part off, all you got to do is grab ahold of it good enough for the o-ring to let go. The whole thing is plastic. If worse comes to worse, thread a lag bolt into it and grab the lag bolt with vise-grips and yank the thing out.
Actually Inside get the upper oring out, there's another at the bottom. Thought I had it in the bag when that came out, but alas no dice. I've done the lag bolt already.

A photo would help…

But ugh, I feel your pain. And the gloom in the pit of your stomach when things feel hopeless.

If it makes you feel any better, here was my debacle from last year.

Man I felt terrible. And wasted many hours on that. I will say it is good to walk away… but sometimes it can consume you… and distract you from anything else. Be careful with that.

I’ll also say that in your case, like mine, a slide hammer may be your friend. Either one that has an expanding puller that you can force into the stuck item, or one that will grab say a lag bolt that you screw into it…

Good luck!

It took me a week to do mine. Laying on top of the engine, and soaking it every day with different penetrating oils. I'm not sure what I would have done if I broke off the top, but I have read you can take the pan off and get them from the bottom too.
It' a horrible place to have this part, and was one I replaced with genuine gm. I wasn't doing it twice.

Also I was never able to actually complete the relearn procedure 'cause AutoEnginuity sucks, but it definitely seems optional. I didn't have any problems

Wow...wish I had the answer.

The lag bolt gave me the idea of using a threaded hook, pretty much a lag bolt with a hook or an eye.

Screenshot_20230526-035410_Google.jpg

I would start small and try not to expand the area with the seal making it a more snug fit.

I'm sure you know this, but just be very careful to not damage the portion of the hole where the seal rests.

Try doing this in book time that has already been authorised by the customer or warranty company. You carnt go back and ask for more time.

It’s one of the reasons you can earn more money as a filter/ brake/ easy job tech than a capable diagnostic and repair tech. Once you get into the big jobs and burn a bit of time away on an issue you come across your working for free for x hours to make it up.

Take a deep breath and take a break from it for now. Once you settle down, you'll be able to reevaluate and take a different approach with a clear head. Take your time and slowly you'll find a solution. Good luck! YOU GOT THIS!
Wow 😳 you are a good bloke.
I learned long ago to do exactly the same. Frustration locks you up and you need to clear your head to move forward.

Good luck OP!

Can you tap some threads into it, and make a press with a bolt, some washers, and a socket?

(I don't know how big this is, but visualizing something round)

Without seeing how much room you have to work with, is it even possible to loosen the trans tailshaft mounting bolts, and lift up the rear of the trans slightly without damaging anything?

My concern would be the cooler lines, any sensors, exhaust, but generally there's some wiggle room.

Maybe just enough to gain some clearance from the firewall.

Fought me Every. Step. Of. The. Way. But dang it the little bugger is finally out and the new one in. This was all that is left of it. I think I rounded the hole out a little when I was drilling, the angle is pretty significant and no room. I'm just going to tell myself it is all above the oring, and I actually think it is. Now all I have to do is button up the grounds I broke and get the intake on. That may be a bit of a chore, I'll have to have my 13 year old son help me a little, thing is heavy. Thanks to all for listening to me gripe, it helped.

Attachments

• IMG_20230526_151454.jpg
    IMG_20230526_151454.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 50
Back