Need to replace ignition coils with new plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my 2007 Ridgeline with 88K miles, I wanted to do the first spark plug change. I bought Denso Iridium plugs and had my local indie mechanic install them. When I started the engine, I immediately had an engine miss and the CEL came on. Mechanic found one of the ignition coils was bad. Probably damaged when he removed and replaced it. So $80 later, it was fixed.

QUESTION: on most current V-6 engines with factory plugs that last 100K miles, is it wise to replace the 6 ignition coils when you install new iridium spark plugs? I need to consider this since my M35 is due for new spark plugs.

BTW on the Rock Auto web site, they warn that new spark plugs should be installed WHEN replacing the coils because the plugs can be damaged in that process. Huh???

On warranty repairs with a misfire, Ford wants you to replace the spark plug when doing a coil or injector. I would say replacing coils is purely application specific. On the transverse Duratech V6 engines, our techs like to replace at least the rear coils when doing plugs since they tend to fail a lot and they at least get the difficult ones out of the way while the intake is off.

Coils last a long time on those don't worry about it as regular maintenance

Last edited:
I usually re-use the coils if there is no problem with them or replace the boots on them if that is possible. The only time I would think about doing the coils is if it's high mileage and the coils are covered by the intake plenum and it's a paint to get at them.

Originally Posted by rshaw125
No I've seen coils last over 200,000 miles.

Or even 370,000+ miles.
smile.gif

Last edited:
If I have a customer come in for spark plugs on any transverse engine that has the rear coils under the intake manifold, I always push for the rear three to be done. This is especially true on Duratec's and any Toyota V6. They have coil issues anyways. The front ones can be done in a parking lot, the rears are just good insurance to replace.

I bit the bullet on my 2008 F-150... I bought a full set of 8 coils and boots to replace when I do my plugs at about the 180,000 mile mark.

I hope to do neither of them again.

No new coils on either of my COP vehicles. On the 3rd set of plugs on the 2003 and at probably the 2nd set on the 2008 (don't have a record from before that)

Follow up question: Is there such a thing as "high performance" coils? My BS antenna is telling me that when using OE plugs the answer is "no".

Originally Posted by Trav
I do it quick and dirty and just scratch the paint off.

Knowing you, I think you are joking but the joke is going over my head. Can you explain please?

That was in response to ..
Originally Posted by stevieC
if it's high mileage and the coils are covered by the intake plenum and it's a paint to get at them

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Follow up question: Is there such a thing as "high performance" coils? My BS antenna is telling me that when using OE plugs the answer is "no".

Yes, There are high performance ignition coils that "can" output higher voltages.....

The maximum voltage depends on......
*The ratio of the number of windings from the secondary winding to
primary winding
*The quality of the iron core
*The magnetic field

However.....Inductive Ignition coils only provide enough energy to cross the spark gap, But the higher output coil/s can maintain a longer "Burn Time/Spark Duration" IF needed.

To be truthful.....I've never seen a street engine in a good state of tune need higher output coil/s as they don't usually use what a properly functioning OE coil can output. This doesn't seem to affect the multi million dollar business of selling "high performance" ignition coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back