Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
I have a 500 series Briggs push mower and I am doing the first oil change
So I turned it over to remove the drain plug and to my surprize there was none
This is a new mower and on all of my old ones they all had a drain plug
Whats up?
I dont like to drain it out the top but I guess I have no choice
Suggestions?

Warm it up and make sure fuel level is low. And yes, invert it and out comes the oil out of the fill hole. Refill with your favourite oil.

Also, might want to grab an old plastic bag and screw the gas cap over this bag to help seal and prevent leakage from fuel tank

Originally Posted By: Finz
Also, might want to grab an old plastic bag and screw the gas cap over this bag to help seal and prevent leakage from fuel tank

Smart.

Drain it out of the fill hole . Been doing it that way for about 30 years. No need to make a procedure out of it.

I have seen some that did not have a drain plug. I am sure that the mower co. wants the absolute lowest price they can get on the engine, so B+S just leaves it out, saving the machining and the price of the plug. But, if tipped on the left side they will drain perfectly fine out of the dipstick hole. Just FYI, pull out the dipstick, before tipping, it is much less messy. I use an old discarded cake pan to drain the oil into. While it is draining, take the blade off and sharpen it. By the time that is done, put blade back on, and set mower down and fill .

Even if it's got a drain plug, it's still easier and less messy to run it out of fuel and drain it out the dipstick tube.

My Craftsman push mower is a 2005 and it's got a drain plug. My neighbor's Craftsman push mower is a 2008 and it's got a drain plug. When did B&S quit making their engines with drain plugs?

My 2005 Troy-Bilt power washer with the 4.5 HP B&S engine has a drain plug underneath. It's a pain to get to through the pump though. I tried the emptying it out the oil fill this year. For me that was more of a pain than using the drain plug. I don't think it got all the old oil out. I put the 20 ounces required back in and it's over full now. As a back up I got an inexpensive oil extraction pump to try in the summer.

Whimsey

I'll second (or third or fourth) the idea of running the machine out of gas then tipping it on its side to drain the oil out the fill tube. Much easier than it sounds. Just have a tray or pan ready with one hand so you can catch the oil as it begins to pour out as you tip the machine.

I did this with our Honda mower for years. It had a drain plug on the deck, but there was no way to get the oil before it drained onto the deck and then drained through a small hole on the deck a few inched away ... my god, what a mess that would be if you changed the oil that way!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The drain plug is there; it looks like a female square drive.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
What Merkava_4 said, should be a square plug that's probably stuffed with dirt making hard to see.

We have some people who don't know what they're talking about. My 3-yr-old Toro mower has a B&S engine with no drain plug. It's not that hard to tip the mower over and drain the oil out the fill tube.

MY B&S genset engine has TWO drain plugs. So there.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
My Craftsman push mower is a 2005 and it's got a drain plug. My neighbor's Craftsman push mower is a 2008 and it's got a drain plug. When did B&S quit making their engines with drain plugs?

Cool story bro. I work on hundreds of Briggs engines every year and I can 100% assure you that not every engine has a drain plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back