Need tires, OH MY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get your point, but no one expected 3 years ago that prices would be double on many items.
You can either afford the operating costs of a truck or you can't. If it's a "grocery getter" maybe it's time to look elsewhere for transportation that's more practical.

I own a half-ton truck BTW.

I get your point, but no one expected 3 years ago that prices would be double on many items.
Indeed, although I sometimes think that people expect prices to never change. The current runup is massive—but i have heard people complaining every year for years.

I have a 2018 f150 fx4 w/ 275 55 20 tires that I will be replacing in the very near future. When I got the truck new I looked at tire prices just to see what a 20" tire costs. Then it was maybe around 150-160 ish each. Now that I actually need to replace them it seems like the cost has doubled. Looks like the going rate for the tires I'm looking at will be 250-280 ish. My question is will this be a temporary increase or this is the new norm for her on out? With alignment, install, manditory tpms, tax, road hazard and the extra pad pad pad its probably going to be close to 1500.00 bucks, sheesh!
I run that exact size tire on my 2011 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch with 338k miles
I'm currently on my 5th set of Michelin Defender's
Normally is September -Oct Discount Tire sells the Michelin's with $70 Visa card rebate. Also, under normal driving conditions you won't need the Road Hazard protection, or Alignment.
I typically run these tires to 75k miles (5-6 32nds) and sell the takeoffs for $275-300 on Craigslist, which helps lessen the sting of new tires.
Good Luck!

I run that exact size tire on my 2011 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch with 338k miles
Normally is September -Oct Discount Tire sells the Michelin's with $70 Visa card rebate. Also, under normal driving conditions you won't need the Road Hazard protection, or Alignment.
I typically run these tires to 75k miles (5-6 32nds) and sell the takeoffs for $275-300 on Craigslist, which helps lessen the sting of new tires.
Good Luck!
Explain what this means.........

I haven't experienced it myself, but I've heard of shops quoting $50/ea for mounting/balancing tires not purchased from them.

I did experience a tire shop not wanting to install a set of carry-ins I mail ordered and this was years ago. "We don't do that". The multi bay shop was empty with the techs standing around.

I'm lucky to have a few shops nearby that will do carry-ins no problem. $25/each though. I'll gladly pay it.
After seeing a customer come unhinged on a service manager because one of his online purchased tires was out of round, I don’t understand why any shop would want to mount and balance tires they didn’t sell. The small profit really isn’t worth the hassle.

I have a 2018 f150 fx4 w/ 275 55 20 tires that I will be replacing in the very near future. When I got the truck new I looked at tire prices just to see what a 20" tire costs. Then it was maybe around 150-160 ish each. Now that I actually need to replace them it seems like the cost has doubled. Looks like the going rate for the tires I'm looking at will be 250-280 ish. My question is will this be a temporary increase or this is the new norm for her on out? With alignment, install, manditory tpms, tax, road hazard and the extra pad pad pad its probably going to be close to 1500.00 bucks, sheesh!
Check out Discount Tire and look for Labor day rebate promos from tire makers as well as Discount Tire.

After seeing a customer come unhinged on a service manager because one of his online purchased tires was out of round, I don’t understand why any shop would want to mount and balance tires they didn’t sell. The small profit really isn’t worth the hassle.
That type of customer is going to be a nightmare regardless of the circumstance.

If the shop has a policy that they will not install customer supplied anything, I get it. That's there decision.

Doing a 4 tire change over isn't easy or fast, but I would think $100 for ~30min work is more profitable than doing 2 oil changes back/back.

Yeah 10-4 on that but it seems like every year I buy tires for something. Trailers, boat trailer, camper etc.. Just easier to ship tires to my home and not fight with tire stores and their nonsense padding.
You're exactly right. My tire machine is my best tool investment, bar none.

You can probably get a used balancer for around $400-500 if you wait. When you die, your estate can sell it for $400-500.

You're exactly right. My tire machine is my best tool investment, bar none.

You can probably get a used balancer for around $400-500 if you wait. When you die, your estate can sell it for $400-500.

Agreed. I have an Atlas machine and computer balancer. I actually use them quite often.

$peaking of pay-to-play. I've been looking for new Jeep meats to replace my aging Baja Claws. These are the sticky competition compound.
Long gone are the days of $100 Super Swampers.

proxCapture.JPG

Good Luck!
OP, here's your answer. Plenty of folks taking off perfectly good tires and selling them for pennies on the dollar. That will easily cover mount and balance.

I feel you! I’m in the process of shopping for tires for my truck, 265/65/18. They have gone up in price quite a bit. I’ve had really good luck with Sam’s on my wife’s Volvo. They have done a great job installing them and rotating and balancing them for me. With plus membership we get free install and always about $80 off a set of 4. I’ll probably get mine there when I finally need them.

Or random potholes-or road hazards? Must have X-Ray vision. In other words-keep the truck in the driveway and don't use it.
It depends. My last set of truck tires I ran 55k miles. Picked up one nail in that time. It was a repairable puncture. I fixed it myself but $10-25 at most tire shops.

My current set is nearing 30k with no issues. I am running ten ply tires though.

Had to moderate this several times. Answers will remain visible further whinging won't.

Quick point. Repeating political talking points or bumper stickers or memes is just lazy.

Have an original political thought and then share it someplace you didn't agree not to post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back