Need tire suggestions (225/45-17) for 08 xB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I am planning on replacing my tires on my summer wheels this spring (currently, snow tires on...) and I am looking for a tire that will last a bit longer than what I have been using and quieter, as well.

Currently, I have General Altimax HP's on and prior to those, Falken 912's. The Falken's were amazing, but wore quickly... The General's have lasted longer, but are reaching the end now (I also preferred the 912's over the Generals). Both tires developed significant road noise once they wore a bit, which is understandable... But they were not THAT low... Around 5/32. I got around 25-30K on these tires.

I am looking for a tire in the 225/45-17 size, maybe something like a grand touring tire? I don't care at all about snow/ice traction, as I have dedicated snow tires. However, dry handling and hydroplane resistance is important. I like a responsive tire, stiffer sidewalls preferred. One key trait I am looking for is the road noise... I hate a loud tire. I want something quiet! Long tread life will be nice as well, something that lasts me longer than 25-30K... Being used on a 2008 Scion xB.

Any suggestions? I have been looking at the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tire. Good reviews on tire rack (one available in my size, rated top). Any users of this tire?

Appreciate any input!

Originally Posted By: xBa380
Hello Everyone,

I am planning on replacing my tires on my summer wheels this spring (currently, snow tires on...) and I am looking for a tire that will last a bit longer than what I have been using and quieter, as well.

Currently, I have General Altimax HP's on and prior to those, Falken 912's. The Falken's were amazing, but wore quickly... The General's have lasted longer, but are reaching the end now (I also preferred the 912's over the Generals). Both tires developed significant road noise once they wore a bit, which is understandable... But they were not THAT low... Around 5/32. I got around 25-30K on these tires.

I am looking for a tire in the 225/45-17 size, maybe something like a grand touring tire? I don't care at all about snow/ice traction, as I have dedicated snow tires. However, dry handling and hydroplane resistance is important. I like a responsive tire, stiffer sidewalls preferred. One key trait I am looking for is the road noise... I hate a loud tire. I want something quiet! Long tread life will be nice as well, something that lasts me longer than 25-30K... Being used on a 2008 Scion xB.

Any suggestions? I have been looking at the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tire. Good reviews on tire rack (one available in my size, rated top). Any users of this tire?

Appreciate any input!

I am using the exact tire in your exact size on my 07 Corolla. Excellent on dry, stiff side walls, very quiet, wear is good so far I'm down to 7-8/32's after 2 seasons (about 25k miles so far) but I drive pretty easy. Wet traction is good but not comparable to a performance tire. It should meet all your needs but maybe fall a slight bit short when it comes to hydroplane resistance/wet traction but I don't think its a deal breaker. Figure that I will get about 50k miles out of this set before they are toast.

Look into the General RT43 and the Cooper CS5s. They're getting great reviews for a mid-priced grand touring tire.

Tirerack internal tests (which I attach more credibility to than the surveys) point out the Continental PureContact performs better in the wet and has better handling/response than the P7s. Although it apparently sacrifices some ride comfort (firmer ride).

The firmer ride is fine with me... My car is lowered along with sway/strut bars and larger wheels as well (17" from 16"). I don't mind a harsh ride, personally.

I will check out those Continental PureContact's as well.

the altimax hp is one of general's oldest tires.

The newer altimax rt43 is MUCH improved in every way.. except basic dry traction.

What is your budget?

TONS of great tires in that size.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
The Cooper Ultra Touring tires are really good and fit your requirements.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=17&cs=225

Its a XL (Extra Load) rated tire and has good handling for a touring tire while also having a good tread life.

They have the same tire with a standard load and longer life, so give up handling for longer life as well.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct...d=17&cs=225

My BiL has these on his car and has said they are very quiet.

+1 for cooper/mastercraft unless im in a bind these are my go to tires..have always gotten excellent life and always nice and quiet.

Do you like adventure and taking some risk ? If you do, then try Vogue Signature V with 60k miles tread life warranty on DTD. It has good reviews from limited users, the price is $100/ea and DTD has $40 instant rebate for online order plus $75 mail in rebate from Vogue plus $50-60 rebate from DTD with Car Care Credit Card, so the total can be $235 shipped for 4.

I'm thinking about this Vogue Signature V for my E430 when I need new tires by end of this year.

Michelin. Tires on wife's Wrangler have 140k on them with legal tread. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Michelin. Tires on wife's Wrangler have 140k on them with legal tread. YMMV.

YMMV for sure. I don't think you'll find any tire in size 225/45/17 that will give you 140k mile treadlife.

What you want rarely comes in one tire... ! You want the handling, but long tread wear, and quiet too...

Tough combo...

Maybe these...

I had a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3's , v-speed rated, on a previous car... nice firm handling with very good traction, reasonably quiet...but no idea about tread wear... switched cars too soon, ...they were rated at UTQG of 500, not that the number means much...

As soon as you step down from a high performance all-season to a touring type tire, handling becomes an issue.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
What you want rarely comes in one tire... ! You want the handling, but long tread wear, and quiet too...

I know... A tire is always a compromise somewhere. I figure since I don't need any winter traction it would help some!

I would say the quietness is important to me, followed by the wet traction. Tread life and handling runner up, for importance. I can always increase tire pressure to get the feel I want.

Budget wise, I would say maybe $150ish for each tire, not including installation and such. Although I hope to find a local shop that will get the tires in for me and include it as a mounting/balance package... We will see though!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xBa380
Hello Everyone,

Appreciate any input!

Get the regular P7 cinturato or the blue. Can't fault these on my car in the same size though on some road surfaces they can be noisy, but not more so than many others. Long lasting, low fuel consumption, good levels of grip and not to dear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back