Need some oil advice for my Jeep

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to the site; lots of interesting reading here.

I recently purchased a '99 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, with 95K on the clock. She runs good, doesn't burn any oil, and has no leaks. (although the rear main is starting to seep slightly)
Valvetrain is a little noisy, but that's pretty commom with the 4.0.

I drive usually 6 miles one way to work, and do a fair amount of city driving. My OCI is usually between 3-4K. I live in Texas, so heat is an issue as well.

In previous Jeeps, I have used Mobil 1 10W30 w/ a Purolator Pure One filter with good results. However, I'm curious if there is a better combo for me and if I'm wasting my money running synthetics in the 4.0

Any info would be appreciated.

A lot of people on this site suggest Havoline 10-30 dino for that motor.I use walmart synthetic 10-30 summer 5-30 winter, in my 06 wrangler 4.0,also use pure one 30001,oversize filter.

The 94, 95 and 96 Jeep Cherokees with 4.0 6 cyl we had at work lived long abused lives on Exxon 15W40 dino with Fram PH16 filters. They lasted 10 years. Motors were still strong but rust was eating away the undersides. All had well over 200,000 miles on the odometers and #@$%! knows how many idling hours.

offtopic.gif

Frank D - Is this the 4.0L Jeep that was used in utility/gas service work?

I remember someone posting about 200K+ miles on a Cherokee with 15W-40. If this is the same vehicle, please teel us some more about the dailey driving cycle, OCI's etc.

One issue here is that the higher ash content of HDEO's supposedly causes accelerated spark plug deposits, but obviously this issue didn't have much of an effect on the engine life of these Cherokees.
smile.gif

In my 01' XJ, I'm running GC 0w-30 (gold) and it absolutely loves it. Running whisper quiet (IMO) even with gibson exhaust. Also using redline SI-1 and I think that also helps quiet the 4.0. Get around 20mpg+ combined city/highway.
smile.gif

Yes Blue99 it is. The ones I am most familar with were used in Westchester County. Lots of stop and go driving, extensive idling and oil changes at 6 month intervals. The 95 Cherokee I used was replaced in 2005 with an 05 Saturn Vue with a 3.5 Honda V6. It now has over 36,000 miles on it. The company has since switched to Amsoil synthetic oil, 5W30 ASL for the gas part of the fleet and 15W40 Diesel and Marine for the diesel part of the fleet with annual oil changes. Fram Extra Guards are still the oil filters used.

I should also add that the vehicle would be tuned up when it would not pass the NY state annual vehicle emmissions test. That is when most maintenence was performed. When the vehicle was retired in 2005, it still had the original transmission fluid and filter in it. The most replaced part on the vehicle was the radiator. The original radiator was replaced in 2002 when it started to leak and the replacement radiators that were used were made with plastic and would last about a year when a seam would start leaking and would be replaced again. In the past year a program has been started to service automatic transmissions. BG flushing machines are used with Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid. A lot more transmissions fail than engines. Engine failures are rare and are usually caused by lack of oil or overheating.

Quote:

Challenger71,

You don't find the 0W to be too thin?

Here's how you need to look at those numbers. A 0w-30 thickens less then a 5 weight oil at extreme cold (-35). Now 5 weight oil is like JELLO/GLUE/MOTOR HONEY @ -35F ..so don't think that it pours better than 5 weight at room temp. It also thins like a 30 weight @ 100C/212F. So ..with minor variations ...a 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, and SAE straght 30 weight will all be about the same visc @ 100C/212F. How they thicken will vary ...some of them, greatly.

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification Gary. Guess I need to do some more reading.

Hey, pal ...you're not the first to get a bit confused by our (cough-cough) concise and intuitive oil weight designation system. Naturally, I've always known all this stuff all along. Trust me
liar.gif

This summer, I plan to run a decent (either Chevron, Trop Artic or Havoline) 5w30 and a bottle of SLOB in my 4.0L. I am curious to see what my wear numbers will be. Since most of the wear is from start up, I want to see where I'm at with this oil and SLOB. My jeep really likes this thinner 5w30. The typical 242 lifter noise/valve tapping is absolutly gone and the engine is silent.

My apologies mcray, was'nt able to get to this thread until today. Looks like several, more versed members have answered your query already. Personally I love GC 0w-30 and so does the XJ.
approved.gif

Quote:

Challenger71,

You don't find the 0W to be too thin?

is that the High Output 4.0 w/the straight 6? you can run WATER for 5k mile OCI's on that engine, and i'll still bet it'll last ATLEAST 300k

Kiefer,

It is indeed the HO straight 6. My previous Cherokee had 182K when I sold it and it still ran strong. The 4.0's are great motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back