Need some help on what I need in a tire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Well I'm looking at some tires for my car and I'm unsure of what I'm looking at. School me on treadwear rating numbers. The current Michelin HydroEdge tires are at 6-7/32" of tread at 56-57k miles and are realllly loud on the highway. What I want in a tire is a high treadlife. I don't want a tire that's going to need to be replaced in 45-50k miles unless it's at a really good price. The tires I'm looking at have awesome rebates on DTD.

Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2
Treadwear rating 320AA - Really not sure about these. This tread wear makes it sound like they'll wear out really fast.

Yokohama Envigor
Treadwear rating 560AA

Cooper CS3 Touring
Treadwear rating 540AB

So are any of these halfway decent?

Instead of looking at treadwear ratings, which are somewhat useless, look at the treadlife warranty that each tire offers.

Ventus V12 is a max performance summer tire, so yeah, don't expect long treadlife from it. Its main focus is on grip and handling.

I just looked at the Cooper's and they are rated at 75k miles and after DTD coupon and the Mail in Rebate they're $240 before tax with free shipping. Sounds good to me lol

Meant to type they're rated at 65k miles

I'd look at Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. It offers a 70,000 mile warranty and is one of the top-rated grand touring tires on TR.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Are you looking at the T-rated Cooper CS3? I believe your car calls for H-rated tires.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Are you looking at the T-rated Cooper CS3? I believe your car calls for H-rated tires.
I just looked into that. Looks like it does. And I believe I've heard Discount Tire won't mount the T rated tires on there. The H rated tires at rated at 50k miles

Nokian entyre was the longest lasting tire I've had so far on my VW. 51k to the wear bars. All prior tires had been 40k, so a nice bump in life.

But don't tires die from the sun over there? Also, what are you looking for in tires?

Originally Posted By: supton
Nokian entyre was the longest lasting tire I've had so far on my VW. 51k to the wear bars. All prior tires had been 40k, so a nice bump in life.

But don't tires die from the sun over there? Also, what are you looking for in tires?
My car is shaded for most of the day, these tires haven't cracked much but my grandmother's Michelins sure have because it's in the sun all day. 40k for a set on the Jetta? Is that because it's a heavier car? The Beetle's first 2 sets of tires were Continental Conti ProContact and they went a little over 50k and still had a little tread left. I don't ask for much in a tire. It doesn't rain much here and not a bit of snow. I just don't want tires that are going to sound like an airplane like these tires but silent tires are not necessary, a little noise I probably wouldn't even be able to hear over the sound of the diesel engine.

Yeah the Ventus is definitely not the tire for you!

The best choice out of the three seems to be the Cooper CS3.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Maybe your noise is a wheel bearing.
No, they're notorious for being noisy tires. Plus one is defective although Discount Tire doesn't think so, it was replaced due to some sidewall damage about 10k miles in on this set of tires and is cupped even wih some rotations and none of the other tires are cupped. The suspension on this car is 100%. That cupped tire is the loudest but when I have it on the back it isn't so bad

It's a matter of debate why I get low tire life. All I know is Conti Pro Contact outing, whatever it was ten years ago, would go only to 40k for me. Did that several times. Now my Camry eats tires to the tune of 30-40k.

Must just have more turns and hard cornering up here I guess.

Go to tirebuyer.com .....With their current $25 instant discount code, the General Altimax RT43 in the 205/55/R16 for their H rated, 65,000 mile warranty highly regarded touring tire come to $327.00 for a set of four....shipped for free to a local installer which you can choose from in the Phoenix area for between $50 to $68, which you can choose from during checkout.

I've had my Altimax RT43's for a couple of days now and they're certainly a comfortable ride....though their temperature rating is a B...which might be more of a factor in the desert conditions of Arizona than in Ohio.

My previous Hercules Tour 4.0 plus tires served me well and were an A A rated tire in treadware, temperature and were very quiet until they hit about 40,000 miles before moderate noise came about. If you can have those installed for a total price cheaper than any of the other options, they might be worth considering as well.

pirelli p7 700AA H rated 416$

If you can use T rated

hankook h727

Last edited:
Is it worth buying new tires because of loud road noise? How long are you planning on driving your aunts car? When you get your own car its just going to sit there with newer tires on it.

Originally Posted By: silverrat
Is it worth buying new tires because of loud road noise? How long are you planning on driving your aunts car? When you get your own car its just going to sit there with newer tires on it.
It is my car. And the tire noise is really bad, drives me nuts on the freeway unless the radio is cranked up.

Are the rear tires feathered? Any chance you didn't rotate for a while and then did?

Originally Posted By: supton
Are the rear tires feathered? Any chance you didn't rotate for a while and then did?
The tire is on the right side and isn't feathered, it's worn pretty evenly but has flat spots around it. It went a little bit without being rotated but not too long. It's the only tire that is like that and happens to be the 1 tire that got replaced under warranty. I think it's a defective tire. I won't put it on the front though cause it drives me absolutely nuts.

Nick, you drive on pavement that gets up to 170F to 180F in the summer. Don't expect very long tire life. Yes, use the tread life warranties as a yardstick, but you won't get that.

The Hydroedge are noisy because the direction of the grooves lets the noise out. It is known to be a noisy tire. Goodyear Assurance TripleTred are somewhat the same design and much the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back