Need rotor advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, 22000 miles ok on my 07 f-150 I replaced my brake rotors and pads all around. Now im getting horrible pulsating and steering wheel vibrations that I've isolated to the front rotors which are both warped the rears seem fine. Lsat time I used wagner rotors and wagner thermoquiets. I paid extra for wagners last time thinking they would hold up better. Now that I have to do it again what would be a good brand rotor to go with? I'm also not trying to break the bank this time either.

Also I'd prefer not to use rockauto this time as I dont tust my computer with my credit card info (long story lol).

Originally Posted By: stxonall8
I'd prefer not to use rockauto this time as I dont tust my computer with my credit card info (long story lol).

Very wise. My brother and I had a very, very bad experience buying rotors for his 2008 5-Series from RockAuto. After Centric and RockAuto screwed us, American Express came to the rescue and got him all of his money back.

Thank god for that I'm just having alot of problems with my p.c. and they savings arent that much, plus I'd rather grab the parts put them on and be done for hopefully more than 22000 more miles.

Well when I jacked the front wheels upand spun the tires I could hear a rotational scraping noise. and when the tire stopped spinning it was during this rotational scraping.

I've had good luck (low price, good durability, etc.) with the Brembo rotors from www.Tirerack.com on my Volvos, 4 Runner and MB...I'll pay a few $$ more to avoid the hassle of an un-needed brake job...I've got over 60,000 miles on a set of Brembos with Akebono pads on the XC, while on the 4 Runner, the Hawk pad/Brembo rotor combination lasts at least as long, and performs at least as well as OE, sure those vehicles are not an F-150, but still...

Last edited:
My indie mechanic uses Raybestos rotors and pads. The pads have been fine but the rotors have rusted/rotted and or warped in multiple situations. This last time I ordered Ford OEM pads and rotors from Rock Auto for the wife's 2005 Exploder's rear brakes. We'll see how that goes. When my 2002 F-150 needs brakes I'll do the same, order Ford OEM rotors and pads. I had the dealer put "aftermarket" Motorcraft rotors and pads on the front of my 2002 last August. We'll see how long they last. I brake gently but still the aftermarket brakes end up pulsating before the pads are worn.

Whimsey

One of the best online customer services is Amazon. I rarely had problems with orders from Amazon, when I had any problem, they solved it quickly.

Brake rotors are heavy, buying online may cost you less on part price but shipping will eat up the saving, buying it from Amazon most rotors shipped free for order total at $25 or more.

Is your F150 2wd or 4wd. Rotor issues are very common on the 2wd trucks of that vintage due to the design of the hub/rotor/bearing all being one piece. If it is 2wd also were the luck nuts replaced? They are one time use only and I have seen them back off if reused and cause all sorts of issues.

Last edited:
I guess it depends. I'm using Wagner rotors and pads on my 98 K1500 and 98 K3500 trucks and they are still fine. I used them on my 92 Cavalier and they warped in no time. I'm using Raybestos rotors and pads on the Cavalier now and have had no problems so far.

I also bought the Raybestos stuff through Rockauto and did not have any issues.

Wayne

Look up the part numbers on RockAuto and order from Amazon if the shipping is a better deal. I am sure you can call in your order to RockAuto.

As other have said, the rotors really do not warp they are just no longer of uniform thickness. Pad deposits or uneven wear.

Go with Wagner TQ pads and decent rotors and the problem should be resolved.

Check for a TSB with the brakes. It does happen.

I used to have good luck with Centric Premium Rotors(even the C-Tek) but, lately many complaints from customer reviews(I've been reading) having pulsation within a few months(Centric only warrantys them for 90 days) and I have too! I put the Centric Premium Rotors w/BLACK E-Coating on daughters Mazda3 and they started pulsing after the warranty!
frown.gif

Lately, I have had very good luck with BREMBO Rotors, Raybestos Pro-Grade and Wagner Rotors and I won't recomend Centric anymore due to their poor warranty and the poor reviews. Nor their Centric's Posi-Quiet Ceramic pads, due to they're very dark dusting(for a ceramic pad). Otherwise, the pads are OK for stopping and quiet!

Last edited:
For online purchases, I'd say Raybestos top of the line or better yet, Brembo.

For in town I'd say the Bosch Quiet Cast rotors from O'Reilly or the Adaptive series rotor from NAPA.

These are all excellent parts that I wouldn't hesitate to use on our own vehicles.

Ok found another option there are a few place near me who offer on vehicle rotor turning, the only practical way for me to have them turned. I plan on having them replace the pads as well. How much do you guys think this will run me. Just curious, and trying to figure out if this is a good option.

If you don't want to buy online (are you sure? Amazon's free shipping kicks [censored]); I'd find the cheapest set of rotors and then a good set of pads and call it a day.

check out http://www.powerstop.com/
also find a local carquest auto parts and see what they can do for rotors and pads.
with the truck i don't know what condition yours is in and how to maintain it, but generally the wheel hubs get rusty and when doing rotors you need to clean the hubs and make sure there is no rotor runout, that may be your problem.

i had a problem years ago with jcwhitney when i bought rotors and drums for my '90 f150. their print catalog said ready to install but they were way out of round and i had to have them turned. check the fine print on mail order rotors and make sure they specify runout less than 0.002 or 0.004. if you check napa's rotors you'll see their regular rotors guarantee less than 0.004 I think and their premium less than 0.002 runout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back