Need recommendations for Volvo & Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Zerex G-05 in the '96 Volvo 850T, but I can't find Zerex anywhere. Anyone have a suggestion for an easily obtainable suitable long-life antifreeze? Preston, Peak, & NAPA products are what we usually see.

I've used Toyota's own antifreeze in my 2001 Tundra V8, but the nearest dealership is over an hour away. Same question here.

No easy answers here. Zerex G05 is definitely hard to find. Napa usually carries it, as well as local 'jobber' warehouses, carquest, ect. Retail-oriented places like Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly's, etc. usually don't carry it. Also, Ford and John Deere dealers are an option. Don't know about Chrysler anymore... I've heard that they came out with a new antifreeze. Don't know if that means that they dropped G05, or if this is carried in addition.

Any "all-makes" that I'm aware of are essentially Dexcool. IMO, it will work in either application- but you're taking a chance on 2eha's known gasket incompatibilities and Dexcool's propensity to form sludge under less than ideal conditions. For me, it's worth the trouble to find something else. But some prefer the convenience of being able to buy at Walmart. If you go with the All-makes option, just be sure to maintain the cooling system carefully. That SHOULD avoid the sludge issue. Don't know what to tell you about the 2eha thing... it's a roll of the dice IMO.

Also, several people around here recommend Peak Global Lifetime for imports. I've never seen the stuff... know nothing about it except that it contains neither 2eha nor silicates. Or so I'm told.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back