Coolant recommendation for 03 Mitsubishi Montero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is 2003 Mitsubishi Montero with the 6G75 3.8L V6. I recently replaced the timing belt along with water pump and tensioner with help from a friend. We were originally going to drain and flush the coolant but ran out of time.

We ended adding Motomaster LL premixed coolant to replace the coolant that drained out.

Link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-long-life-premixed-antifreeze-coolant-0293031p.html#srp

I was actually looking for the Motomaster LL Asian variant but couldn't find any that day.

Link: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motoma...93071p.html#srp

My plan is to run Prestone flush and drain. What would you guys recommend for coolant? I have no idea when the coolant was last changed, or at all. Existing coolant color is between yellow and orange. I've ran into conflicting information online regarding which coolant I should use. Prestone application look up is down. Rockauto/NAPA recommends Pentosin Pentafrost A2, which is not readily available around here. Mitsubishi forums swears by Peak LL Asian vehicles, which I can't find anywhere either. Local CT has hundreds of Peak LL coolant though. The friend that helps me out with most mechanic work recommends Zerex Asian LL but he says any LL coolant will work.

Originally Posted By: Barwich
recommends Zerex Asian LL but he says any LL coolant will work.

Mitsubishi is all aboard the phosphate train, FYI.

You're welcome.

Peak LL and Prestone LL (and Super Tech AMAM, since it was just mentioned) are all the same thing: 2-EHA OAT without silicates or phosphates.

The Asian OEM's are rather insistent that phosphates are included (no silicates though) in the formulation for water pump protection. Subsequently, you have Asian coolants on the market.

Looks like this is carried on the shelf at Canadian Tire...just buy distilled water while you're there and mix 50/50 (getting the pre-mix version would be nearly twice as expensive):
hyKZDYq.png

Zerex G05 is a good choice as well. If it is hard to find in your area, you can't go wrong with Peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back