Need recommendation for trans fluid for 3.5L 2GR-FXS (2019 hybrid Toyota Highlander)

Price isn't an issue here, quality is. Climate is pretty severe on both ends of the spectrum - 100+F in summer, as cold as -40's in winter (central Wyoming).

Tentatively I was considering Amsoil, Redline D6, Aisin. I believe this car uses a CVT? Because I see it still has WS type fluid specified for it. Was also thinking about Lubegard's product, but don't know if that would be an option, or if it would work:

This would be the 1st fluid change, being done right under 30K miles.

Thank you for any suggestions/experience.

They’re not made to use cvt fluid.^ as others have stated.

if you read the lubegard cvt pds, I’m sure it states not to use in your application.

edit: lubegard says ok to use in Prius ws cvt applications, not other ws cvts.

Last edited:
Price isn't an issue here, quality is. Climate is pretty severe on both ends of the spectrum - 100+F in summer, as cold as -40's in winter (central Wyoming).

Tentatively I was considering Amsoil, Redline D6, Aisin. I believe this car uses a CVT? Because I see it still has WS type fluid specified for it. Was also thinking about Lubegard's product, but don't know if that would be an option, or if it would work:

This would be the 1st fluid change, being done right under 30K miles.

Thank you for any suggestions/experience.
It is a CVT but it is not belt or chain-driven as most others are, and it uses Toyota's WS as a result. That recommendation is not a typo.

I have a 2013 Avalon Hybrid (powertrain is essentially the Camry hybrid's) with the same design CVT as yours. I changed the original WS to Redline D6 at ~35k (looked pretty good) and the car now has ~72k. Will get around to doing it sooner or later, but Toyota's CVTs have a well deserved rep for reliability and longevity.

While some BITOG folks might routinely suggest changing it at about 30k as you would with a regular automatic, this CVT design doesn't have the clutches et al that would warrant IMO.

HTH.

Last edited:
I only wonder if there is any benefit to adding LG Red to WS in the eCVT and rear diff? There's not lockup clutch torque converter that LG additives will do its magic, just the LXE ester

I have a lot of miles to decide before I get to replacing the WS fluid on my HiHy

Idemitsu TLS LV is a clone of WS. Real happy with its performance in a Toyota. I think Amazon carries it. AZ used to but no longer unfortunately.

Like other say, don't use CVT fluid, use a ATF. WS ATF for sure. You could use Valvoline Maxlife ATF. This tranny isn't hard on the fluid, I heard people going to 100,000 to 200,000 miles and the fluid was still red. In fact, I drew the conclusion that this transmission is less fussy on which ATF to use than Toyota's other transmission.

Idemitsu TLS LV is a clone of WS. Real happy with its performance in a Toyota. I think Amazon carries it. AZ used to but no longer unfortunately.
After more research I decided to go with this exact product. Apparently the rear diff uses this as well and not 75w-90 gear oil. Now all that's left is should I bother adding a small amount of LG Red (like 3 ounces) [would there be any benefit] or don't bother and just use the fluid as is?

After more research I decided to go with this exact product. Apparently the rear diff uses this as well and not 75w-90 gear oil. Now all that's left is should I bother adding a small amount of LG Red (like 3 ounces) [would there be any benefit] or don't bother and just use the fluid as is?
I wouldn’t bother.

Back