Need Recommendation for printer server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I have a laser printer connected to my main rig running W7 x 64. Every so often, actually too often, I lose the ability to print from my other computers at home. I have a Win XP PC, and a W7 x86 laptop and I can't print from either computers.

I think the easiest and simplest solution would be to add the printer to a printer server. I see on Newegg though that some PS don't say that they can be used with Vista or W7.

Does anyone have any (Cheap) PS that will work with W7?

TIA

Maybe there are some networking tweaks that will help the machines see each other better.

I'm not a guru by any stretch... but the first might be giving each machine a static IP address.

I thought it was a network issue too, but the network sees the printer, but it just says it's offline. It's a PITA.

It's just not worth it to me to spend the time to diagnose this.

I think you will have various odd problems unless you get a true network printer. If you print through another PC (like I assume you are now) it works most of the time, but the other PC has to be up and running. If you get a print server it will help some but still the drivers installed on the remote PCs will not be the the 100% correct driver.

I have been down this route a few times and the best answer is to get a network printer (wired and or wireless) in the first place. I just got a color Samsung network printer for $150.

It would seems they are selling many/most printers these days at a loss to get you to pay for the ink/toner and other parts latter on.

Donald, if you've been down this road, got a PS you don't need? (j/k).
smile.gif

Seriously, I would love to get a network printer, but that doesn't fit my first criteria - cheap.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chuckerants
Donald, if you've been down this road, got a PS you don't need? (j/k).
smile.gif

Seriously, I would love to get a network printer, but that doesn't fit my first criteria - cheap.
smile.gif

I am having the same problems with my laser printer shared out through Win 7 64 bit. It works great for days or weeks and then it acts up.

You can get a networkable printer for not much more than a print server. I have a canon mx870 for color printing/ scanning/ fax, but if you look you can get network laser printers for $90 - 100. You will pay $50 for a print server.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I got a brother wireless laser printer from newegg for 80$.. working great and the replacement toner is about 20$

I am at 2200pages on the first replacement and counting.

edit:

something like this monochrome wireless laser printer with duplexing for 89$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...mc=BlkNov_LB_DD

I would spend my money on this before I would spend the money on a print server.

Also most (but probably not all) print servers are wired to the router, so the printer will need to be next to the router. No such restriction exists with a wireless printer.

In addition good luck if you have problems, the printer company will say it a problem in the print server and the print server company will say its a problem with the printer. Your stuck with figuring it out.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Also most (but probably not all) print servers are wired to the router, so the printer will need to be next to the router. No such restriction exists with a wireless printer.

In addition good luck if you have problems, the printer company will say it a problem in the print server and the print server company will say its a problem with the printer. Your stuck with figuring it out.

That is what I have found too. They only guarantee them to work on a select list of older printers, but they all say that they "should" work with others. Best to just get a new printer and save yourself the hassle.

Man, what a great deal! And duplex too?

The printer is on my "to buy" list.

Thanks.
Originally Posted By: Rand
I got a brother wireless laser printer from newegg for 80$.. working great and the replacement toner is about 20$

I am at 2200pages on the first replacement and counting.

edit:

something like this monochrome wireless laser printer with duplexing for 89$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...mc=BlkNov_LB_DD

thats a good thing it was a limited time sale and they often run out early on good sales
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back