Need recommendation for compressor Air Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
In addition to the hose, I'd suggest researching and buying decent fittings as well. I've found that they can make a pretty huge difference in flow. I'd check out Milton V fittings.

Thanks, will do. Milton sounds like a brand I can trust. I had been eyeing the Milton regulators, so it makes sense to not cheap out and get the Milton fittings also.

TRAV is correct. I have used Goodyear hoses for over 45 years. Those Bluebird hoses are excellent from what I hear from other Techs.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
Originally Posted By: Trav
The 1/2" air hose will support all but the largest air tools like a 1" impact. That reel is good quality as is the hose, I dont own the reel but my brother has one for 3/8" and I have the hose.
You wont go wrong buying that.

Excellent, thanks! I don't think I will ever be running 1", but then again I think some tractor sized tools are in that range..

To run tools that size the hose is the least concern, you need a big 2 stage compressor with big CFM (30+@90 psi) and a large supply line, mine is 1" copper with 1/2 and 3/4 drops.

The filters, regulators for 1" get very expensive, these are nothing you can get in a big box store, I run Nordgren and Parker filters, coalescing filter and regulators with a large dryer for the paint and breathing lines, the tool lines are lubed by a 1/2" Parker lube unit. Then comes the hose and fittings.

Thanks for the info Trav!

I don't think I'll be using tools like that any time soon.

I was considering a 20-25 CFM @90 gas powered two stage compressor. Would this be appropriate for sandblasting auto chasis and the like? I'm not talking as a business but to restore cars and trucks and the like.

In this CFM range, would it matter if I were using 3/8 or 1/2 hose and high flow fittings, regulators, dryers, etc. to match? Would 1/2 even be worth the extra cost?

Thanks!

Or I guess the more important question is will a 20-25 CFM @90 compressor be enough? I had heard you could even use a small blaster down int he 14 CFM range.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

For single shop work (ie not sharing the compressor)

I think a good quality 2 stage pump with a 5hp 240v motor and 80gal tank would suffice.
Something that will do 150+ psi.

That being said if you have special needs take those into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back