Need Oil Advice for Dad's 1960 Bug Convertible

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, to start with i red the first post then a few so some one might have already recomended this but.... Penrite. this is an Australian company and what they do well is oils for these older cars. you want the HPR30 (20w-60) if it's in good working order. HPR40 or 50 for worn motors.

ALL the air cooled VW blokes here use this stuff. therer is a US importer just google penrite and have a look. i dont know why it's supposed to be so good for this older stuff but apprantley it's the dogs danglies.

on another point. i was talking to a VW expert the other day and i was discussing how my dad's old VW caught on fire and asked why it's co common. apparantly where the fuel hose connects to the fuel pipe on the carb there is NOT suposed to be any kind of clamp. the OE hose (or OE style) is just a friction fit and if you clamp it this crushes the tube going into the carb and after while it vibrates out.

Hi,
scractcher - Recommending a 20W-60 lubricant in these motors is unwise. They perform best at around the original viscosites recommended by VW - see the OP and later

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
All I know is this bug is 51 yrs old, my Grandfather drove it, My Dad drove it, his 2 brothers drove it, now my Dad has it back, and the thing ticks like a sewing machine. Its just amazes me. Driving it turned more heads than in my Evo, or my Mom's Lexus. haha. Its just a car that appeals to the masses, that is for sure.

Jeff
The VW has charm and personality A Lexus and an EVO are just like any other blah new car. I look at all the new cars and they sicken me. They are so ??? tin cans with computers. Your dads VW is choice.

I would definitely stick with a 30wt oil. When our family had a '72 superbeetle we always cleaned the strainer and used straight 30 in the summer and I think my dad went to straight 10w in the winter. But driving that thing in the winter was not for one who wanted to stay warm when it was lets say zero or below zero.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
Originally Posted By: VWguy
I can see where you are thinking this thought of the detergent oils in an engine with no oil filter, but if he has an extremely dirty or sludged up crankcase, he needs to directly address that issue. I have worked for VW/Porsche/Audi for 15 years(1973-1988) and had been to nearly all of the factory schools when they were in Culver City, Ca. There is no way VWOA would recommend a non-detergent motor oil for the any air-cooled vehicle they produced.

It doesn't matter whether you have a dirty sump or a clean sump, you can't run a high detergent oil in an engine with no method of filtration. What would be the point in keeping large metal and carbon particles in suspension wearing your engine away?

You don't run a non detergent oil in your lawn mower or generator, most of those don't have oil filters and do just fine. In fact my 15 year old Honda lawn mower specifically states to use a high detergent API rated oil.

I would run a modern, high detergent straight 30 oil in this VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back