need new struts for 1994 Camry wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 144K miles on a 94 Camry I think it might be time for new struts although there is nothing obvious or pressing me to get new ones installed. Unsure if my Dad ever had new struts installed (and cannot ask hom now). I see on ebay I can get a set of Blistein for $280 or Gabriel for maybe half that. However when one figures in the cost to have them installed and an alignment, the cost of the struts themselves is probably only 50%.

I plan on going to 200K before ditching the car and its got synthetic oil in engine and AT so the mechanical stuff should last.

So question is are the Blistein struts worth the extra. Its not a race car and I do not drive 90 MPH on hair pin turns.

You should be able to find bilstein for less then that! Yes, they are worth it. They come with a million mile warranty. They really shine if you drive on rugh roads, expansion strips, wash board roads etc.... Check to see if your OEM struts are rebuildable. Some Toyota Camry's have rebuildable struts.

Considering that 86% of cars in the scrap yards still have the original shocks or struts, you see how most people care for their cars. Tough to beat Bilsteins...

you also might want to consider replacing the strut mount( aka bearing plate). they are a cause of howling/growling sound. once hte struts are you its a couple of easy bolts to replace the mounts. also make sure that those bilsteins have new boots. most do, but a lot of struts out there do not come with boots. when i replaced my factory(motorcraft) struts/shocks with Bilstein HDs the car was a ton different. i also converted my mustang to a coilover setup, but the car, even lowered now will not bottom out on the road.

btw bilstein has a lifetime warrenty.

most people dont do struts because of A, the cost and B, they dont know they need them. i get people with cars that take struts all around yelling at me becae they just want the $20 Monroe gasmatic shocks, they think they dont need a strut and want me to have my techs adapt a shock to their car.

CoosBayDave - so are you saying I should consider doing nothing with respect to the struts given most cars go to junk yards with original struts? I am happy with the ride of the car now, but just put on 4 new tires and thought base upon mileage it might be time for new struts.

It's a matter of money. If you're happy with the way it rides now, and you don't have unusual tire wear, and you don't drive fast on curving roads.... a good set of new struts installed could be $400 or more.

Truth is it's probably time for new struts if you intend to keep the car a LOT longer. Isn't salt on the roads an issue in NY...???

I was in a similar situation. I plan on keeping my car for a couple more years and decided to replace the stock struts at 179k miles on my 93 Mazda MX6. I went with KYB GR2 all around and new front strut mounts and bearings. The ride is a little more harsh now over bumps and the most improvement is over "wallowing" bumps/dips in the roadway - much more controlled now, although the OEMs were never bouncy.
I think my stock ones could have lasted longer if I was getting rid of the car soon. I replaced them myself with handtools and a $13 spring compressor from Harbor Freight. Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself, and don't forget an alignment.
I also replaced the lower control arms complete with new ball joints and bushings. I was expecting a major upgrade in handling due to age, but didn't see much change.
So if you do like the way it rides now, save some $$.

we sell both the bilsteins, and KYB's at my work. (www.performancecenter.com) We can match anybody's prices on those shocks. Including tokico!

let me know if you're interested and I'll foreward you to one of our sales guys (I work in marketing).

My personal note, on my daily I just went with the KYB GR-2s and they're fine. For more sport intented usage (GR-2s are definately NOT sport by any means) the go with bilstein or tokico.

Can you compare Bilsteins and KYBs? The cost of the struts is only part of the picture. Are KYBs good enough for wagon where I want about 60K miles?

I used KYB GR2 and I've used Gabriel Ultras. Both were better than car with originals that were over 150k but similar to one another. I'd save the extra cost of Blisteins to use on some other repair in the next 60K. Look and see if you have oil leaks on the old ones. I usually replace when they are leaking and wallowing or can no longer handle more washboardy parts of the worn freeway truck lanes. I f they aren't leaking or have some bad ride showing - why bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back